Holiday Aloha Part 'ekolu on the Golden Princess to Hawaii 12/19/12 to 1/2/13

Cruisin' Chick

Because of the holiday, we had a formal dinner. My daughter was intrigued by one passenger wearing a kilt, as she has a teacher who likes to wear kilts.

PC250116_zpsb4d09b6d.jpg

PC250117_zpsf9fcf9b2.jpg

The head waiter carried a tall stock of boxes holding candy canes over to our table and presented the girl with a whole box.

SANY0162_zpse832872a.jpg

On the menu:

Pan-seared halibut with melted leeks & chantelle mushroom vinaigrette

Grilled Tiger Shrimp kabob with mango lime relish

Slow roasted Vermont Turkey with traditional chestnut stuffing

Medallions of beef tenderloins demi-glace

Pineapple glazed hickory smoked Virginia ham, spiked with cloves

Grilled Vegetable Mille Feuille with a trio of dressings

Pasta was Crespelle alla valdostana as well as the fettuccine.

SANY0151_zps21024aa8.jpg

SANY0152_zpscd522902.jpg

On our 2005 holiday cruise, each table seating had a traditional cracker. Our Canadian tablemates showed us how to pop them to get the little gifts out. I heard some diners on our last cruise got crackers but we didn’t see any, so I don’t know if that’s so. But definitely didn’t see any this cruise.

On MUTS, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life, a concert film with Randy Travis, Hope Springs, and a Beyonce concert film at 10:30pm. Other venues had The Santa Clause, The Magic of Belle Isle.

In cabin TV for this holiday

Art channel -- Entrapment, How to Steal a Million

Family Movie Channel -- Ice Age, Paranormal, Tangled

Princess Movie -- Searching for Sugar Man, What to Expect when Expecting

Romance Channel -- Like Crazy, Morning Glory

Golden TV Channel -- Fitness at Sea, Modern Family, Love Boat, The Office, Simpsons, Two and a Half Man,

Discovery Channel -- Animal Planet’s Most Outrageous, Cake Boss, Tech Toys, Tanked

There was a holiday Show in the Princess Theater featuring the Adagio team Alexander & Evgenia, illusionist Alexander (must be no relation) and The Golden Princess Singers, Dancers & Orchestra. The girl went with her friends to the teens’ Rock the Boat Mocktail Party in Skywalkers.

We saw the ending of Morning Glory, which I didn’t care for (the Harrison Ford character was not believeable). Then the troops (the girl was back from the party) decided to see the movie in its entirety. The beginning didn’t seem that believable (I just didn’t believe that the Today Show would want the main female character to work for them – maybe her perkiness would be fine as a Kathie Lee Gifford-ish on- air performer, but not as a producer), so I fell asleep. I don’t think the rest of my family was impressed with the movie. My daughter loves Paranormal, so she watched it in the afternoon when we got back. But as an animated fantasy, I still think Frankenweenie was so much better.

From the Log of the Cruise

0614 – Anchor party standing-by; 0628 – both Anchors cleared away; 0642 – All pre-arrival checks completed: 0644 00 Commenced opening and rigging pontoons for tender operations; 0649 00 Let go port anchor; 0705 – Golden Princess brought up to her starboard anchor 8 Shackles on deck (1 Shackles 27.5/90ft of anchor chain); 0709 – Pontoons rigged and ready for use; 0714 -- Shore party rigged and ready and first passenger tender proceeding ashore.

At anchor in position: Latitude: 20° 51.N; Longitude: 156° 40.9 W.

Vessel at the southern anchorage in Lahaina. Wind : Southerly Force 3/4. Sky: Cloudy (6/8 cloud coverage); Air temperature: 23.5° C/74.3° F. Barometric Pressure: 1016.5Mb

1749 –Commence heaving support anchor; 1757 – Anchor aweigh (anchor aweigh means the anchor is off the seabed); 1800- Port anchor home; 1805 – “Full away on passage”; Golden Princess proceeds north bound paralleling the coast of Oahu toward Nawiliwili.

Wednesday, December 26 – Kaua’i

Per the navigation channel: we were at 21° 56’ N/ 159°18’ W. Sunrise 7:14 am, sunset 6: 02 pm

Air temp 72.3°F, barometer 29.9 hg and falling , humidity 86%, sea temp 80.6°F, the pools were around 93.2, 87.8, 91.4. Easterly wind, force 5 breeze, moderate sea conditions, partly cloudy

Arriving in Kaua'i:

SANY0172_zps6c2ca057.jpg

PC250127_zps05b65fd4.jpg

We were docked at Nawiliwili harbor on the Garden Isle (known for having one location that’s one of the wettest places on earth, it’s easy to see why the flora is so lush). I have previously been on a tour of Kaua’i during my first time in Hawai’i, including a visit to the Fern Grotto, lunch at the Coco Palms, and a tour into Hanalei Valley. During our honeymoon, we rented a car for our stay at Po’ipū Beach and we drove from one end of the main road, around Waimea Canyon State Park to the other end past Hanalei. The first two cruises, we went to Kalapakī Beach both times, the Hilo Hattie’s in Līhu’e once, and the Anchor Cove shopping center. So this time, we decided to do a tour.

We walked off the ship and walked into the terminal, looking for the sign for our excursion, Hollywood in Hawaii – Movies and Waterfalls.

PC250122_zpsd3f4d39d.jpg

PC250123_zpsd5c789d6.jpg

PC250124_zps86ad5903.jpg

SANY0175_zpsa2a772ba.jpg

There were three different groups going on this tour. Our guide was Shonoa, who waited patiently for everyone to show up.

PC250126_zps27aab910.jpg

As it would be a while before we had a restroom stop, she had suggested everyone take advantage of the facilities at the terminal. When it was time for us to head over to our bus, I noticed that our daughter was still in the restroom and went over to retrieve her. (this would somehow serve as a bone of contention for the hubby later on)

The two of us got to the bus where hubby was waiting. We took seats near the back of the bus with hubby on one side of the aisle, the teen and I on the other. At some point, my daughter talked with the woman in back of us – she worked in in the purser’s department.

Finally we were off and Shonoa explained how the tour would work. We would see clips from the various movies and television shows on the big screen, that was right in back of the driver’s seat, while we were on route to see these places in person.

SANY0176_zps655ad397.jpg

SANY0177_zps30da763a.jpg

SANY0179_zpscbd12410.jpg

From the port, we traveled through Lhu’e, heading north on Maalo Road, while we watched the video which summarized the many films and television shows that have been shot on Kaua’i.

PC250125_zps945f04b9.jpg

SANY0178_zps13e4b19f.jpg

Our first stop was at Wailua Falls, which is famous for the beginning shot of every episode of Fantasy Island. The 80-foot double-stream waterfall was also featured in Dragonfly, Castaway Cowboy, The Amazing Race, Tropic Thunder. When we saw the clip from The Amazing Race, I remembered the couple, as did somebody a couple of rows in back of us.

PC250129_zps8c246e1a.jpg

SANY0183_zpsae651594.jpg

SANY0186_zpsb0178e84.jpg

PC250131_zps8801429b.jpg

PC250132_zps163b130e.jpg

In ancient times, men would jump from the top into the Wailua River as a rite of passage. But jumping or even hiking to the bottom is considered dangerous.

PC250136_zpsb1d867d6.jpg

Nowadays, this is a popular spot because of the scenic view. While we were there, a palm weaver was at work, loyal dog at his side, hoping to interest one of the spectators into buying his artwork.

PC250137_zps69a31683.jpg

We also saw some feral roosters hanging out.

SANY0189_zps67050983.jpg

PC250133_zps628a3144.jpg

Hanama’ulu Bay was our next stop, to the south east of the Falls.. Among the productions here: Donovan’s Reef, Pagan Love Song, Six Days and Seven Nights and Voodoo Island. The producers of Donovan’s Reef wanted the place to look more tropical so they had some coconut trees planted on the cliffs overlooking both sides of the bay. Unfortunately, after the crew packed up, no one was left to take care of the trees, which died. The Ahukini Pier was prominently featured in this movie.

It’s known for being a popular picnicking spot for the locals.

PC250138_zpsd4710387.jpg

SANY0191_zpsa499cac4.jpg

SANY0192_zps46b07560.jpg

After reading through your review, I now know I want to cruise to Hawaii sooner rather than later. Thanks so much for all of the information and pictures! :)

My pleasure. It's our favorite itinerary, even though we still have a few on our dream list. I wasn't home at all yesterday (was at a Disney park as my daughter was performing), but as soon as my sinus headache is gone, I'll post more, hopefully in a few hour.

We then went back north, this time on the Kuhio highway to Wailuā to visit one of the most notable, but saddest places on the island: Coco Palms. At this site, you can see the ruins of the resort where the last part of Blue Hawaii takes place. This picturesque hotel, built on a coconut grove, was a causality of Hurricane Iniki in September 1992. Originally this was the ancestral home of Kauai’s royalty and near some ancient heiaus (Hawaiian temples).

Before we got there, we had to sign a waiver as we were going inside the ruins.

Shonoa told us the history of the post-Iniki Coco Palms, filled with litigation. The property has passed from one owner to another, but any plans to re-build got mired in the courts.

One aftermath was a new ordinance that decreed no building taller than a coconut tree (which is equaled to four stories high) can be now built on Kauai. Two buildings that are the exception due to a loophole include the Marriott in Nawiliwili as the hotel was built in a submerged fashion. So don’t expect to see any high rise buildings going up.

PC250145_zpsdddca42d.jpg

PC250146_zpsc9bcbe71.jpg

PC250149_zps93fbe4c8.jpg

PC250151_zps97d00d06.jpg

PC250152_zps4c1dc60f.jpg

SANY0209_zps87d57ea3.jpg

SANY0210_zps97144ae8.jpg

SANY0230_zpse1d718e3.jpg

SANY0231_zps88233c32.jpg

While we were there, we were able to walk into what was undoubtedly the lobby. There, we were greeted by a local icon Larry Rivera, who still performs weddings on the site. Shonoa explained that he was about to get a major honor the next week for all he’s done in He sang us a song that he had composed, and then he asked Shania to hula while he sang another song. Nearby, his wife sat reading, next to a table with some CDs and other items available for sale.

PC250156_zpscf2721b1.jpg

PC250158_zpsd691992e.jpg

Archived