Cabins 6169/6171??

Now that my cruise is only a short time away I am getting a little panicky about where they might put us....especially after reading that Geomargot was not happy about the location of his cabin.

I have just called Thomson and the only cabins available in our grade on Deck six are the above.

Has anyone stayed in these cabins and are they okay. I can see from the deck plan that they are very near a single lift shaft so was wondering if you hear any noise from this area?

Thanks

Lorraine

My booking says deck 5/6 so I could be on deck 5? Yes they were the last two left...so is that how it works? Shall I keep my £42 to spend on some cocktails in one of the wonderful islands.

Actually I might call back as I never asked about availability on deck 5 bit that would seem a sensible thing to do!

Lorraine

I have just called them and there are quite a lot available on Deck 5. Looking at the plan again we are in an outside plus so hopefully would not be too far back anyway?

I think I may leave it to chance.

Lorraine

You'll have to ask geomagot which cabin he got, as i believe he also booked Outside Plus Deck 5/6, and ended up being put in whatever cabin he got, deck 5 i believe, and as far as i can see, the furthest back outside plus on deck 5 is 5161/5162, which looks to be the same area as cabins 6170/6171, and he was none to impressed with this area.

Thanks sodafountain...yes you are correct I never realised those two cabins are quite so far back.

I am calling my TA to see if any of the more middle section are available on Deck 5 maybe from 5121-5089 and the same on the opposite side of the ship? Just hope this area is not creaky or having any problems with noisy air con. etc.

Is deck 5 generally okay? I was thinking the higher the better, but I guess you only get what you pay for, which unfortunately for Geomargot was not the case and he was really dissappointed, such a shame.

Lorraine

no probs 6169 or 6171 are both good you wont hear the lifts they are very quiet and they turn the bing bongs off at night

deck 6 as a whole is pretty quiet

best cabins on deck 6 imo are 6059 to 6140 all o/s+ away from the white space and the thrusters

stay away from 5141 to 5150 deck 5

hope this helps

the category is o/s+ deck 5/6

deck 6 is definitely preferred, and we have always been on deck 6 in the past without pre booking

interesting that there were only 2 cabins available on deck 6

perhaps there is a high % of people pre-booking or maybe these are given over to certain TA's?

I'm still balking at the £42 fee:mad:

What is the white space you refer to?

Also sodafountain seems to think that that these cabins were just above your cabins and therefore would not be in too great a position?

Lorraine

cabins 6169 or 6171 are good they are not directly opposite the white space, I think these 2 are nearer the stairwells than the liftshaft (which is not noisy anyway) so are good

the white is space is unspecified white space shown on the deck plan....these areas could contain galleys, engines, machinery, or maybe quiet storerooms, in my case it was the engines....I believe there is possibly more machinery below deck 5 (I have never been on deck 5 before) it wasnt so much the vibration that bothered me (its a hum that lulls you sleep mostly....unless they are manouvering) it was the tannoy announcements which I believe were engine room related it was obviously very close

my advice would be to stay away from cabins near the centre of the white spaces especially on deck 5

never had any problem anywhere on deck 6

hope this helps

I reckon that large white space on decks 5 to 7 are engine spaces and exhaust uptakes to the funnel. Maybe ships engines don't have the silencing of cars?

A basic rule of choosing a cabin

avoid white spaces like the plague ;)

even modern ships have em. i remember reading a review on P&O azura/ventura where the cruiser had a free upgrade to a better cabin. however this 'better' cabin was next to a mysterious white space containing, the engine exhaust uptakes - oops, no sleep :eek:

Thanks so much for replys and help. My TA was supposed to call me back, so I can reserve a cabin....so I will see if the original cabins are available as advised by Geomagot..or alternatively choose something on Deck 5?

I now know what the white space is.

And I too will be balking at paying £42, but if the right cabins are still available it will stop me worrying in the meantime.

Roll on the 27th January.

Lorraine

My TA called me back today....the very last day to book a cabin. Told me it would cost £35 I informed her it was actually £42.

I asked for a section of cabin numbers I would be interested in and to check availability.

She said she would get onto Thomson and call me back. The call came 30 minutes later and said it is actually too late anyway to book a cabin.

So now I can stop deliberating and just hope for the best!!

My own fault for dithering.

Lorraine

Archived