Governor's Beach

krdougan

Hi! While in the Cayman's on our upcoming cruise we were planning on just hanging out at a local beach that had very good snorkeling right off of the beach. We will have a couple of families and just looking for a relaxing day. I saw that this beach is right across the street from a strip mall with grocery store, so we should be able to go there and load up on some snacks and drinks for a low key day at the beach.

Has anyone out there been to this beach? If so, how was it? Was it crowded? How was the snorkeling?

Thanks!

I found a link out on the internet that shows the this beach has pretty good snorkeling.

The link is https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=115767092936053220998.00048d00405444eefec85&ll=19.348724,-81.24733&spn=0.226752,0.336456&z=11&source=embed

Are you sure there isn't good snorkeling here?

Thanks,

Kelly

Good job scouting the area! ;) Governor's Beach is a great section of Seven Mile Beach due to its width and completely sand water entrance. There are no real facilities there (picnic table and sometimes a port-a-potty), but it abuts the Westin Hotel with its bar and restaurant (e.g. bathrooms). There are some Casuarina Trees/Australian Pines that provide a bit of natural shade at the back of the beach as well.

Other than Cemetery Beach, the small patch reef immediately off the beach here has some of the better snorkeling on SMB. The snorkeling is no where near the best on the island, but you won't find much better off SMB.

There are plenty of overly friendly Chubs and Sergeant Major fish that will great you when you reach the reef. I regularly see turtles, Scrawled Filefish, Porcupine Fish, Spanish Hogfish, Squid and plenty of Grunts.

The coral is barely hanging on and much is algae covered, but there are a few small areas of new growth with some tiny Elkhorn and Brain.

Immediately across the street is a liquor store, EATS diner, Legends Sports Bar, Sunshine Grill , Yoshi Sushi.

I found a link out on the internet that shows the this beach has pretty good snorkeling.

The link is https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=115767092936053220998.00048d00405444eefec85&ll=19.348724,-81.24733&spn=0.226752,0.336456&z=11&source=embed

Are you sure there isn't good snorkeling here?

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly,

I followed your map link and the searched for pictures, here is what Google found:

Governor's Beach Snorkeling

They are a pretty good representation of what the snorkeling area looks like.

Found the photo album from the search results: Full Album

Thanks so much for your help!

You stated that the reef was immediately off the beach, while I read somewhere else that someone said it was about a 200 yard swim out to the reef. Which is more accurate? If it is a ways out, is it a difficult swim and how deep is the water once you get out to the reef?

We have several kids in our group who are all good swimmers, but may be a little leary of a long swim and deep water.

Thanks!

Archived