catamaran cruise

syr101

What is the best catamaran cruise in Barbados and why

Calabazza Sailing has great reviews here. I haven't sailed with them yet but it sounds like a nice day.They only take 12 people per sailing. I booked with them for April. I can say that the owner Gina replies very quickly.

They are all good and all reputable. Pick one that works with your schedule.

The length of tour depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. 5 hours will go by in a heartbeat.

Personally, I prefer the 5-hour cruise because it includes lunch, which is always delicious...

Once you get on that cat and start sailing up the coast, you won't want to get off...

There are a lot of companies offering "swim with turtles" booze cruise packages.

Here are a few companies you can try:

Shasa

Cool Runnings

Calabaza

Elegance

Why Not

Ocean Adventures

Wasn't Me

Small Cats Cruises

Ocean Mist

Jammin'

Tiami

Good Times Barbados

El Tigre Cruises

Thriller Turtle & Shipwreck Snorkel

Jolly Roger

You can also check out these websites:

http://barbados.org/sailtour.htm

http://www.funbarbados.com/tours/

http://barbados.org/tours/barbados_sea_tours.htm

Most offer basically the same thing, although some companies offer smaller group packages, making for a more intimate experience.

I've been twice with Heatwave (before their cat got destroyed by Tomas) and once with Cool Runnings - both were awesome...

They all do basically the same thing - visit the shipwrecks in Carlisle Bay, feed the turtles either at Carlisle or Payne's Bay, with a lunch stop at Payne's or Batt's Rocks or elsewhere along the west coast (5-6 hour package)...

If all else fails, you can always hire a local right at the beach (Payne's and Carlisle are the best) to take you out in a smaller boat - usually for about $20 or so. You might even get free beer or rum punch out of the deal...

You'll have fun no matter who you decide to go with...

Cheers, P:)

We sailed with Calabaza last year and I have nothing but excellent things to say about them. They met us at the port and brought us to the marina where they are docked. We were welcomed with warm banana bread and rum punch. We had a morning snack and swam with the turtles. We had a fabulous lunch and then docked near a beach for an hour or so. There was then a variety of desserts. The drinks were free flowing and the crew was amazing. The atmosphere is chill and quiet ( no loud music ). One other thing that gave them major points in my opinion was that they took pictures of us all day and a couple of days after we sailed with them, we had a nice personal email from the owner Gina with a link to the photos of our day in a printable format. Personally I couldn't have asked for anything better and am currently planning a trip to Barbados and another sail with them.

We have cruised with Calabaza twice before and are booked for our third time in a few weeks. Gina, Chad and Danny are a great crew! So friendly. Very low key, relaxed day. Always see turtles and it is not crowded. Food is excellent. They really make you feels like family!

We sailed with Silver Moon in November. Great food, open bar, attentive crew, beautiful catamaran. We went with a group from our roll call. We had two snorkel spots, one with the turtles, and one that was over a reef. Both times there was someone in the water to watch the group which gave some peace of mind to those who were less experienced in the water.

Others on the roll call who couldn't sail with us went with Cool Runnings. They raved about their day also.

• 2 weeks later...

Calabaza to us is the best! We have sailed to Barbados twice in the last 2 yrs and spend both times used Gina, Danny and Chad. Cant say enough good things about them, they really treat you like family.

The snorkeling is alot of fun and getting that close to the turtles was unbelievable. Gina's homemade lunch and snacks is above and beyone what you expect on an excursion.

We are really going to miss not going to Barbados this year but are hoping to get back next year.

I have to recommend Calabaza also. That day was one of my all time favorites!!! Everything was perfect from the food to the sailing. I can't say enough good things about Gina and her crew. What a perfect day. I really can't see us doing anything other than a Calabaza sail when we get back to Barbados...:)

We've also done Calabazza. I liked that they don't crunch you in. The other boats we passed all looked crowded. Gina is a gourmet cook and they feed you so well!! I can't wait to go back and sail with them again!

A little bit of a lengthy review, however, words cannot convey enough how much we enjoyed this excursion!

We had known for over a year that we would be visiting Barbados as one of the ports of call during our ten day Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Emerald Princess. We usually do an excursion at each port of call, and this port would be no exception as we had never been to Barbados before. The fact that we would be in port on January 1st, 2013 was even more of an incentive to start the New Year off right.

We wanted to find an excursion that would provide as many of these things as possible; away from the port area and preferably out on the water, provided snorkeling and swimming with local sea life, had to be a very relaxing atmosphere, provided some food and drinks throughout the trip, would limit the number of people to a small group for the excursion, had arranged transport to and from the ship, the excursion timing had to suit our ship’s time in port, and lastly, had to be reasonably priced.

Amongst all of the available excursions and tours that anyone could partake of in Barbados, we chose the “Calabaza Sailing Cruises” to fulfill our quest for a relaxing time during our port visit. The name of the excursion was the “Lunch Cruise” and the memories of that wonderful day are still vivid in our minds.

As cruisers, we started our search of Barbados excursions through the Cruise Critic website, and specifically the Barbados port of call forum board. Seeing that Calabaza Sailing Cruises had rave reviews, we quickly confirmed the comments through TripAdvisor as well. We then emailed Calabaza Sailing Cruises on May 18th, 2012 and asked a few general questions about the excursion. Within 24 hours, we had received a detailed email from Gina and we knew right away that we wanted to reserve two spots on the Lunch Cruise excursion.

Fast forward to January 1st, 2013 and our ship arrives in port. Following the directions provided by Gina, we quickly find our minivan driver outside the duty free shopping/welcome center at the pier. The courteous driver tells us that the catamaran launch is a short ten minute drive away and that we will be leaving shortly once all of the people on the excursion have arrived.

Arriving at the catamaran launch site, we remove our street shoes and board the boat to begin an incredibly wonderful excursion. We settle our excursion fees with Gina and the fun begins. Coffee, tea, juice and water were immediately available along with some very warm and delicious banana bread. Our group enjoyed these treats while the crew of Danny and Chad began preparing the catamaran for sailing.

As we get under sail, we meet our fellow passengers through casual chit chat about past cruising experiences and such. Gina points out and explains some of the well known hotels and landmarks on the western coastline as we head northward to our first exciting snorkeling stop … the sea turtles area.

As we approach our first snorkeling spot, Chad handed out provided snorkels and masks for those that needed them. We didn’t use flippers in the water so as to avoid unintentionally injuring the sea turtles. Chad gets ready as well and comes into the water where the group would be snorkeling. While Chad is feeding the sea turtles, the group had countless opportunities to snorkel around and interact with the sea turtles. Chad was also able to take random pictures of people in the group as they enjoyed the sea turtles experience. Our time at the sea turtles area lasted approximately 30 minutes and then everyone boarded the boat again.

All aboard and underway again, our group was treated to some delicious snacks and a variety of beverages, including a terrific Rum Punch that Gina had made. As we travelled northward to our next stop … a nice reef area to snorkel and see some colorful fish … the group was encouraged to find some space aboard to relax and enjoy themselves. As before, Gina would point out areas of interest and answer questions about life in Barbados.

We arrived at our next snorkeling area as Chad was handing out flippers to those that needed a pair. As before, Chad was in the water with the group to ensure the safety of all and he was also feeding the schools of fish some bread so that all of the snorkelers had an opportunity to be up close to the beautiful fish.

While the group continued snorkeling in the water, Gina finalized the preparation of lunch. Once aboard again, the group enjoyed a wonderfully prepared and bountiful lunch, with more beverages offered as well. There was more than enough food to satisfy everyone’s appetite. After lunch we had about 30 minutes to free swim around the catamaran or we could venture into the shore for some beach time.

All aboard again, we spent a leisurely 45 minute ride back to the catamaran launch site where we disembarked at about 2:45 PM. Those that wanted to partake of the ten minute shuttle bus ride back to the ship’s pier were able to do so, while others could easily stroll back through the town to the ship’s pier area.

All in all, we had a fantastic day aboard the catamaran and enjoyed Gina’s, Danny’s and Chad’s company. If we found ourselves porting in Barbados again, we would reserve this excursion again in a heartbeat. The atmosphere aboard the catamaran was more likened to a family setting out for a day of sailing. There was never a moment onboard where we felt as if we were just a customer filling an excursion. We felt as if we had been friends of Gina, Danny and Chad for years. It was simply a marvelous and enriching experience.

Upon arriving home after our cruise, we were delighted to see a group email from Gina thanking us for spending time with Calabaza Sailing Cruises. In Gina’s email, she even included recipes of the food we enjoyed aboard Calabaza that day, as well as a link to pictures that Chad had taken of our group that day. What a fantastic memory of our excursion with Calabaza Sailing Cruises.

To Gina, Danny and Chad, we thank you for making our port call to Barbados a very memorable one.

Cheers!

Tomas & Sherrie from Ontario, Canada

Thanks again for another wonderful, detailed review Sherrie! I am beginning to think your 'eastern' itinerary is pretty much the same as our 'southern'. :p

This is on our list of maybes for Barbados also. A recent review like yours is very helpful!

Soooo...where else did you stop so I can see if we're heading anywhere you've been? :cool: lol

And yet another vote for Calabaza:) We sailed with them on Jan. 30 and had an amazing day. From the moment you board the crew make you feel as though you are their only passenger of the day. An added plus the other companies don't do is Calabaza will take digital pictures of your day and e-mail them to you -- fabulous pictures swimming with the turtles! Gina's lunches are the best:) They only take 12 people, so don't wait to too to book or you will lose out on a memorable day.

Debr

Just booked Calabaza for my group on 9 for January 2014. Gina already had a couple booked so didn't want to lose out on it since we'll take up most of the catamaran. I am so looking forward to this excursion. A little pricey for my family of 5 but from the reviews, sounds like it will be totally worth it. Can't wait :)

girlscruise 2011, I booked with Calabaza a few days ago for my wife and I for Jan. 13, 2014. Is that when you are there? We sailed with them in Jan. 2012 and had a great time. When we went in 2012 I booked in April and they were about full then. They only take 12 people so I decided to contact Gina right after we booked our Celebrity Summit cruise for next year. You never know when a group is going to fill them up.

After we sailed with them Gina emailed everyone pictures from our day and recipes for the lunch they served. They take pictures throughout the day and even in the water when snorkeling. A very nice extra. Rick

rdt10, no we are there on Jan 15, 2014 so a few days after you. She said the couple that booked has been with them before. Since I am taking up most of the Catamaran, I didn't want to take the chance and wait. This definately sounds like a great day and with the reviews from people like you, I had to make sure we got it. Now I guess I have to work on my other ports :D

Reading about Calabaza here and on tripadvisor has convinced me this is the tour for us. Can anyone tell me how much they paid per person?

Just with them about 2 weeks ago and the rate was $110 per person for the two snorkel stops and lunch (plus snacks and drinks). It is well worth the money:)

Debr

Reading about Calabaza here and on tripadvisor has convinced me this is the tour for us. Can anyone tell me how much they paid per person?

Just with them about 2 weeks ago and the rate was $110 per person for the two snorkel stops and lunch (plus snacks and drinks). It is well worth the money:)

Debr

I was quoted the same rate.

We sailed with Silver Moon in November. Great food, open bar, attentive crew, beautiful catamaran. We went with a group from our roll call. We had two snorkel spots, one with the turtles, and one that was over a reef. Both times there was someone in the water to watch the group which gave some peace of mind to those who were less experienced in the water.

Others on the roll call who couldn't sail with us went with Cool Runnings. They raved about their day also.

Just came from a sailing with Silver Moon. It was the highlight of our cruise. Can't say enough good things about it. A Wonderful Day!

Archived