Ordering drinks not on menu

Chameleonish

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Is it possible to order drinks that are not offered on the menu? Obviously it would need to be something they have the resources to make, but how knowledgeable are the bartenders? Do they even allow this?

Yes, as long as they have the stuff to make it, they will make you anything. If they don't know what it is, just describe it to them.

The bartenders are very knowledgeable in making cocktails and other drinks. Often if you ask for a drink they will have no problem making it for you without question. Different regions will call the same drink by different names, so your bartender may ask you for the ingredients, but then respond with "ahh... we call that a ____". Anyway, if there is something you like, tell them, they will mix anything your heart desires :)

The bartenders are very knowledgeable in making cocktails and other drinks. Often if you ask for a drink they will have no problem making it for you without question.

Not all of them are knowledgeable. Once, when I was on the Splendor, there was one bartender in the El Morocco Lounge that didn't know how to make a Twilight Zone (it's one of their drinks and is even in the bar database and drink recipe book).:eek:

Whenever I saw him at a bar, I made sure he didn't take my order.

OP - If you have a drink you like, write down the ingredients just in case the bartender doesn't know how to make the drink.

Not all of them are knowledgeable. Once, when I was on the Splendor, there was one bartender in the El Morocco Lounge that didn't know how to make a Twilight Zone (it's one of their drinks and is even in the bar database and drink recipe book).:eek:

Whenever I saw him at a bar, I made sure he didn't take my order.

OP - If you have a drink you like, write down the ingredients just in case the bartender doesn't know how to make the drink.

That bartender was probably new and not well trained. Most Carnival bartenders learn these drinks in Bar College before spend a significant amount of time working as a server before being promoted as a bartender. Which recipe book are you referring to? I have the list of drinks they are given at training and I don't see a drink called Twilight Zone.

I've only been on Royal Caribbean, but our experience was they can make anything if you tell them exactly what's in it. One thing we experienced when doing this however, is each bartender/bar charged a different price. A tip for you: save your receipt for the cheapest price so you can show it to them. Worked for us on RCCL.

They had no trouble with my Malibu and Pineapple. :D Seriously though, as long as you know what goes in it, I would suspect they would be willing to make it. I am sure an extra tip would not hurt, especially if you want them to remember it (and you). ;)

That bartender was probably new and not well trained. Most Carnival bartenders learn these drinks in Bar College before spend a significant amount of time working as a server before being promoted as a bartender. Which recipe book are you referring to? I have the list of drinks they are given at training and I don't see a drink called Twilight Zone.

It's in the book that Carnival sells along side their other cookbooks. I've seen it at some of the bars by the register. I have drank it on my last 18 cruises on 6 ships.

He was the only bartender that didn't know what it was. I don't think he was new. He was just very rude to everyone. He didn't appreciate it when I said he could look it up on their computer database. I think he just wanted to make quick drinks and nothing that had to be blended or consisted of more than 3 ingredients.

Archived