New to NOLA area/MSY

co1ocruiser

Hello everyone, we are leaving out of New Orleans (first time!) on St. Patrick's Day on the Conquest. Trying to figure out where to stay/what to do and am really appreciating all of the info on hotels.

Here's our deal-we come in really late Friday night (after midnight), and there are 9 of us in our group. Normally we take a private van to the port/hotel, but I am only seeing taxis/shuttles as options. How is the shuttle? I have flown out of CA where they wait to fill the shuttle before taking off...wondering how that will be with tired travelers so late. Do you normally wait a lot for that?

Also, we won't have a car so aren't worried about parking. My parents insist that with certain hotels we can walk to the port. However, I don't feel like crossing a major highway with my 11 and 12 year old and luggage.

Not sure there's much for us to do in one day with tired kids...any ideas/suggestions about any of us? We aren't new to cruising but this area has kind of thrown our game!

Thanks so much!

I recently returned from my first trip to NOLA with my kids (10 and 5). There is an aquarium right along the river (close to the pier) with an IMAX theater next door. My kids also enjoyed the Insectarium which is closer to the French Quarter. I'd say about a 10 minute walk from the Aquarium. We also did a carriage ride one night which they enjoyed. NOLA has a great zoo but it's not walking distance from the French Quarter area. We took a taxi which cost $20 then we took the streetcar home ($1.25 per person). The zoo has a shuttle which takes you to the streetcar stop so it's pretty convenient. We stayed in the Warehouse District (Embassy Suites) and everything (except the zoo) was an easy walk. My 10 year old also thought the World War 2 museum was interesting. That's also in the Warehouse district.

I don't know about walking to the pier. It looks like it could be done but I'm sure someone else can answer that better.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer a few. 1. your parents are correct about walking to the port from certain hotels and you won't have to cross ANY highway's at all. Heck depending on where you stay you may not even have to cross a street (or cross 1 street max). I think the aquarium is a good idea, there is also an insectarium, or you can just walk to Jackson Square and enjoy the sites and sounds. But of course, this is if you book a hotel close to the port, because the port is in walking distance (imo) to much of what Downtown has to offer for tourist. Also, you can book a hotel that connects to the Streetcar line and on Sunday catch the Streetcar to the port.

I recently returned from my first trip to NOLA with my kids (10 and 5). There is an aquarium right along the river (close to the pier) with an IMAX theater next door. My kids also enjoyed the Insectarium which is closer to the French Quarter. I'd say about a 10 minute walk from the Aquarium. We also did a carriage ride one night which they enjoyed. NOLA has a great zoo but it's not walking distance from the French Quarter area. We took a taxi which cost $20 then we took the streetcar home ($1.25 per person). The zoo has a shuttle which takes you to the streetcar stop so it's pretty convenient. We stayed in the Warehouse District (Embassy Suites) and everything (except the zoo) was an easy walk. My 10 year old also thought the World War 2 museum was interesting. That's also in the Warehouse district.

I don't know about walking to the pier. It looks like it could be done but I'm sure someone else can answer that better.

oh wow, we had similar suggestions and I didn't even read your reply lol. Silly of me, I wasted my time haha!!

Are the streetcar lines open again? I thought they were still doing construction on them. Also if you are there for St Pat's weekend, there may be parades, etc that might interfere with transportation to and from the port as NOLA loves their parades and typically they go right down around that area. I would check some of the websites that give you info regarding the area around the port just to be sure.

Construction was still ongoing when were there last month. For the St Charles line, we did have to transfer to a bus once we got past the Garden District. It was only about a 5 minute wait for the bus and that went all the way to Canal Street. I didn't seen any streetcars running along Canal Street, at least in the area near the French Quarter.

Archived