A good bottle of Rum

wdblake

A couple of the Bacardi bottles are not available in the US.

Not that I would choose them first, but so you know.

Don Q Gran Anjeo is our favorite, I've never seen it for sale in the US, but talking with our local store, they *can* get it. I doubt they will.

I've never seen Ron Barrilito- get the 3 star- it's really good.

Trigo is also not in the US, but can be found next to Ron Barrilito.

Rum is sold virtually everywhere. Well... not everywhere.

This is a page of most the Rums of Puerto Rico- http://www.rumcapital.com/

(And if you are flying in and out of San Juan, the airport Duty Free prices are the same as the prices we find on the island. I've posted that a few times. We generally stock up while we wait for our flight.)

At risk of being scolded by the mods for being a local making recommendations, here are my suggestions regarding Puerto Rican rums:

Bacardi - no one here seriously drink that stuff. That's for export and tourists. It's an exiled Cuban brand, and while not totally bad, it is not real Puerto Rican rum.

Don Q Cristal - It is by far the most popular and liked rum in Puerto Rico. It's clear and usually mixed as if it were a vodka - with juices, etc. It is best enjoyed with lemon-lime soda (7-up, Sprite...) and lime. It is also great in "light" rum-and-cokes.

Ron del Barrilito - This is the best rum our island has to offer. It is amber colored and best had on the rocks or a splash of Coke.

Don Q 151 Proof - Often voted as a favored frat house rum for its kick. It's highly flammable and liver piercing. Enjoy with caution.

Palo Viejo - A favorite of drunkards because it is inexpensive. Often mixed with Sambuca or other anise seed liquours to make what locals call "chichaito" shots. A shot glass, a little Palo Viejo, a little anise seed liquor, and a cofffee bean. Let it sit for a minute and elbows up.

My little lesson on Puerto Rican rum.

Don Q Cristal - It is by far the most popular and liked rum in Puerto Rico. It's clear and usually mixed as if it were a vodka - with juices, etc. It is best enjoyed with lemon-lime soda (7-up, Sprite...) and lime. It is also great in "light" rum-and-cokes.

Obviously, you are young. :D

My in laws and the rest of my wife's family, as well as all advertising in Ponce- Don Q Gold IS the rum. Cristal came more recently as a 'reation' to Bacardi.

Not that it matter- both taste quite good even by themselves.:)

My favorite rum in San Juan (and I drink a fair bit, and wide variety, of rum) is Ron del Barrilito 3 star. Sadly, while quite reasonably priced in San Juan, it's outrageously priced at home - like about three times the cost. Perhaps they mark it up for each star? :rolleyes:

Talk a bartender into making a mojito with this stuff, and adding a couple dashes of bitters. They'll probably look at you funny (i.e., it's considered too good for mojitos, and clear rum is the traditional choice), but it made the best mojitos I've ever had.

Does anyone know how extensive the selection is at the airport? I would definitely prefer to carry on my purchase, vs putting it in my checked luggage..

Of the top Puerto Rican rums, very extensive. You won't find Ron Llave, or Castillo, but you wound't want to spend the effort to take the home, anyway.

All of the Don Q line is there, all Bacardi is there, Ron Barillito is there, I'm pretty sure Trigo is there, too- just wasn't on our list to get.

For our sanity, that's the only place we get rum in Puerto Rico. Well, for consumption in Michigan.:D

Archived