Sports TV 24/7 to show sports from around the world in most bars on all 3 ships

southwestie

Not sure this a good idea, there will a few bars not showing, why they cant just sure the movie screen and in staterooms i dont know.

I am not sure that cunard it the right place to show sports tv

Hi Rob. I was just reading about that http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2004679&c=setreg&region=2

Yikes, I can see where this is going to get 'interesting': What's going to happen when some passengers in the bar want to see one sports show, and other passengers want to see another :eek:

Hi Rob. I was just reading about that http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2004679&c=setreg&region=2

Yikes, I can see where this is going to get 'interesting': What's going to happen when some passengers in the bar want to see one sports show, and other passengers want to see another :eek:

I think it's good idea to have it the cabins or to show big game in the golden lion or maybe in the royal court or somewhere on a big screen,but in most bars then your forcing people away from music or tivia.

interesting too see how it will work

Maybe it's just me, but i read it as the bars now have access to the sports channel and can shows all these sports, not that they will all show 24hr sports.

Depending on the sporting event, i am assuming there will be a listing in the daily guide, as to which bar is showing it, so those who wish to watch their sport with a crowd can do so.

• 1 month later...
Not sure this a good idea, there will a few bars not showing, why they cant just sure the movie screen and in staterooms i dont know.

I am not sure that cunard it the right place to show sports tv

Having just returned from a segment on the QV I can assure you there is no 'around the world' content on the sports tv in the pub. It is soccer, soccer and more soccer. On a world cruise, nationalities change in each port, people get off, people get on, but there are no concessions made to incorporate this into the program. There were unhappy Kiwis who couldn't watch rugby, and unhappy Aussies who couldn't watch the first games of the AFL preseason.

Any suggestions at any point (sport or otherwise) that there could be some concessions to the fact that the nationalities of the passengers might be something OTHER than English was always met with the response that "This is a British ship". So there are classes on Cunard ships. Brits on the one hand, everyone else in the world on the other. That is an unfortunate thing to do - make your non British guests feel like their money is welcome, but they are only to be tolerated. Perhaps an unintentional result, but a result nonetheless.

If the sports crowd wish to watch a "big match" they should watch it in their cabins, or stay home.

A public room is NOT the area to show sports, which cater to a very small group of rather noisy people. If Cunard wish to do this, then let them set up a TV in a "private space" away from the main public areas.

This would suit ALL passengers, when I go into Golden Lion, Chart Room, Sir Samuels, Commodore Club , I do not want to find I cannot get a seat because every seat is taken by sports fiends, shouting or groaning at every movement on the TV, or to find my ears assaulted by angry words between opposing fans.

If the sports crowd wish to watch a "big match" they should watch it in their cabins, or stay home.

A public room is NOT the area to show sports, which cater to a very small group of rather noisy people. If Cunard wish to do this, then let them set up a TV in a "private space" away from the main public areas.

This would suit ALL passengers, when I go into Golden Lion, Chart Room, Sir Samuels, Commodore Club , I do not want to find I cannot get a seat because every seat is taken by sports fiends, shouting or groaning at every movement on the TV, or to find my ears assaulted by angry words between opposing fans.

First I think you need to get some facts correct .

The Big Matches are normally only shown in the Golden Lion PUB and not all the time and not always with the sound on.

Most pubs in the UK now show live games and did I mention the Golden Lion is a PUB.

These games would NOT be shown in other public rooms such as the Chart room or any other room for that matter.

When these games are on as you said it gets very packed ,hence Cunard make a lot of money of drink sales in the PUB but would not make this money if shown in the stateroom.

As I have said it’s a PUB.

I am sure during the whole 90 minutes you could be enjoying another public room like many other people do.

Oh and it’s a PUB.:D

Yes it is a PUB, I am fully aware of that fact,having been on Cunard numerous times.

I believe the thread did state that sports TV was being shown in MOST of the Bars on all Cunrd ships not just the Golden lion.

The sound may be off, but as you state, the "fans " would be occupying the seats for over 90 mins. During this time I am sure the "fans" would not be silent, in fact I suspect their shouts, groans, and comments would be heard for quite distance, annoying quite a few of the non fan passengers.

Perhaps Cunard should use the theatre for the sports TV, thereby isolating any noise or disputes.

Your insistence that "it is a PUB" repeated several times , shows the attitude we can expect by having a sports match in a public area.

BTW since you seem to have forgotten , the ships, QM2,QV,QE, are at sea, on a cruise or crossing, they are not "a pub in the UK", and many of the passengers are not from UK

The Golden Lions are branded as British pubs. British pubs show football. I've watched many a football match in the GL but have never seen disputes/aggro between viewers. what a strange comment to make. As guests on any cruise are a cross section, you are going to get a cross section of mostly neutral football fans watching the matches.

I have also seen US basketball, American football and baseball shown in the GL.

I will also add that you do get groans etc from the guests watching football in the Golden Lion but you can only hear it outside the pub if you were very near the door. To be able to hear sound anywhere else they would have to have industrial strength voice boxes!!

Yes it is a PUB, I am fully aware of that fact,having been on Cunard numerous times.

I believe the thread did state that sports TV was being shown in MOST of the Bars on all Cunrd ships not just the Golden lion.

The sound may be off, but as you state, the "fans " would be occupying the seats for over 90 mins. During this time I am sure the "fans" would not be silent, in fact I suspect their shouts, groans, and comments would be heard for quite distance, annoying quite a few of the non fan passengers.

Perhaps Cunard should use the theatre for the sports TV, thereby isolating any noise or disputes.

Your insistence that "it is a PUB" repeated several times , shows the attitude we can expect by having a sports match in a public area.

BTW since you seem to have forgotten , the ships, QM2,QV,QE, are at sea, on a cruise or crossing, they are not "a pub in the UK", and many of the passengers are not from UK

First you don’t seem to understand that the Golden Lion is a Pub even if at sea,The big giveaway here would be the Pub lunches, The name Golden Lion Pub ,also let me assure you having spoke to a close friend who is on the entertainment staff it will only be shown in the Golden lion or illuminations and things like Wimbledon are also shown in the winter garden.

The other big giveaway here is that the other spaces DON’T have screens, could you please supply a factual link from Cunard that states most of the sporting events will be shown in most lounges.

You also seem to refer to anyone who wishes to attend these events as a small group then go on to say the pub is packed and you can’t get a seat, and that all those people would be noisy, I will tell the 80 year old woman watching Wimbledon with me last year to calm down next time.

I am sure if a sporting event was on at 4am you would get up and go down just to say you wanted to just sit in that space.

You also suggest we should stay at home, well how about you just avoid those areas as a non smoker would avoid Churchill’s, and as you don’t like the idea that much how about you make it easy for Cunard and stay at home yourself and sail with a non British branded ship.

Oh while at sea it’s still a PUB.

First you don’t seem to understand that the Golden Lion is a Pub even if at sea,The big giveaway here would be the Pub lunches, The name Golden Lion Pub ,also let me assure you having spoke to a close friend who is on the entertainment staff it will only be shown in the Golden lion or illuminations and things like Wimbledon are also shown in the winter garden.

The other big giveaway here is that the other spaces DON’T have screens, could you please supply a factual link from Cunard that states most of the sporting events will be shown in most lounges.

You also seem to refer to anyone who wishes to attend these events as a small group then go on to say the pub is packed and you can’t get a seat, and that all those people would be noisy, I will tell the 80 year old woman watching Wimbledon with me last year to calm down next time.

I am sure if a sporting event was on at 4am you would get up and go down just to say you wanted to just sit in that space.

You also suggest we should stay at home, well how about you just avoid those areas as a non smoker would avoid Churchill’s, and as you don’t like the idea that much how about you make it easy for Cunard and stay at home yourself and sail with a non British branded ship.

Oh while at sea it’s still a PUB.

Your two posting show that you are aggressive in your attitude to your fellow passengers, who just might wish to use the Golden Lion without the Wembley or Twickenham "yobos".

It is strange I have never heard of a "punch up " or "aggro" at Wimbledon, or at the Henley Regatta, or at the Royal and Ancient at St. Andrews.

Aggression does seem to be a trademark of the Football/Rugby fan.

...who just might wish to use the Golden Lion without the Wembley or Twickenham "yobos"...

Yobos, ma'am? At Twickers? Surely not? The cream of English society, the very salt of the Earth - always excepting a Calcutta Cup match of course, then I will concede that you may find a rough element of Scottish lowlife infesting the hallowed stadium.

J

Your two posting show that you are aggressive in your attitude to your fellow passengers, who just might wish to use the Golden Lion without the Wembley or Twickenham "yobos".

It is strange I have never heard of a "punch up " or "aggro" at Wimbledon, or at the Henley Regatta, or at the Royal and Ancient at St. Andrews.

Aggression does seem to be a trademark of the Football/Rugby fan.

Ah thank you , so I’m now aggressive, and people who go to Wembley or Twickenham are yobos,and if we enjoy watching sport in the Golden Lion that Cunard decide to show on TV I may add will make loads of noise and keep you awake by the sounds of it.

I am afraid Aggression seems to be everywhere these days unfortunately, but at Wembley or Twickenham we don’t tend to carry Guns and shoot each other.

Next.

I'm sorry to say this but the hallowed ground didn't look so hallowed by the time Jeremy Clarkeson and the rest of the Top Gear team had finished playing car rugby on it!

Hee hee hee. Last time I saw anything like that was when the Scottish fans stole the centre spot from the pitch at Wembley! :D

J

Henley Regatta produces some of the vilest behaviour you could possibly imagine - I've seen things happen there which would sicken a hardened football or rugby fan.

Just have football/sports (but let's face it, we are talking about football) in the pub. Then do what I do when something is on which I don't like - don't go there at that time (I'm available for all sorts of problem-solving at competitive rates).

Henley Regatta produces some of the vilest behaviour you could possibly imagine - I've seen things happen there which would sicken a hardened football or rugby fan.

Just have football/sports (but let's face it, we are talking about football) in the pub. Then do what I do when something is on which I don't like - don't go there at that time (I'm available for all sorts of problem-solving at competitive rates).

I was on QV when what's her face married that Prince bloke back in 2011. I found that the safest place to be was out on deck! And I pretty much had the outside decks all to myself.

J

Archived