What to pack to Alaska

jakkinu

I waaaaay overpacked. One thing we did not need at all was long underwear!!! Even if the temps were in the 40's (which they weren't) I can see no reason for long johns. I recommend a good fleece jacket, a goretex type rain jacket and gloves and a hat or scarf. Also bring at least two pairs of shorts. In Skagway we had temps in the 70's and just wore t's and shorts the whole day. Other than that layering is definitely the key. ;)

Bring one or two heavy sweatshirts or pull over sweaters. If you can find a rain type hooded jacket that can be used most of the time. You will neeed a lightweight medium jacket/ coat when you go to the glaciers.

dosi is right about the shorts. We wore shorts in Ketchikan in August when we went. I also brought a sweatsuit. Be sure to include a short sleeved shirt too. You could wear a t-shirt with sweatpants and you can ad a jacket if it gets colder.

Don't take more than 2 types of winter clothes. Try to coordinate things.

You will love the scenery. Enjoy!!

I went on the Alaskan Cruise last August and we had 80degree hot and sunny weather all week.. everywhere except Tracey Arm where it got chilly for a couple of hours...

I had way too much stuff, I didn't wear 3/4s of what I brought - it was like a Caribbean Cruise, the pool areas were packed and everyone was in shorts all week!

We overpacked as well. Next time I will take 1 pair of jeans, 1 sweatshirt hoodie (don't need a hat with this), 1 weatherproof 2-pc set, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 long-sleeved shirt, shorts, dinner attire. We washed clothes one time and wore the same things over and over again.

What I really missed was more t-shirt type tops for on the ship (inside) We had come from 2 wks bus tour through the rockies so had limited space!! Unless you were out on the deck the ship was quite warm inside!

We just returned from Alaska on the Mercury June 3rd.The weather was outstanding! Im very cold natured so I had plenty of clothes that I layered.One thing I would have done was pack fewer and then use the tshirts/sweatshirts that I bought as souvineers.I did use my hat/gloves a few times.It does get very windy especially in Ketchikan.And if you go outside to take pictures on the train,you will need your hat/gloves.But the inside is very toasty especially if you sitting close to the bathroom where the stove sits.I think the weather really varies from each week,so just be prepared for a little of everything.Peel off one layer when it warms up.Enjoy! Dot

Archived