Will I be tied to my cabana?

CruzerDeb

I've booked a cabana (YAY!) for Half Moon Cay in June. Are other cruisers respectful of those in the cabana? If we leave to go get lunch or walk the beach, will we return to find other cruisers in our space?

Yes, these are the things I worry about!

My experience is yes you will find others who don't know or don't care that you paid extra for those cabana perks. I know the beach in front is public space but I have even had a couple park right at the end of our cabana. I felt they where in my bubble all day and was afraid to leave my belongings unattended - they just gave me a creepy feeling.

Even with the con's the pro's outweigh it. We LOVED having the cabana both times we have been to HMC

This is the age of "entitlement"...I highly doubt a cardboard sign will keep the squatters away. But I do wish you luck. It is amazing how many people just walk right up and try to use the shower or take the water toys. Unbelievable.

OT, but in November we were in Grand Turk with family. Two of our group rented floats, and while not using them left them in front of our chairs. Two 10 YO boys walked up and took them. They did not know any better, but I spoke to their Mother, who was not interested in depriving her babies of their new found play things.

Unreal - we had to speak to the boys directly to get them back. Entitlement indeed.

Kevin C

Does that mean you had problems when on Carnival or were you just trying to make a point about HAL?

We haev been there several times with both lines (owned by the same corp) and experienced the same things. Had a young girl come and want to take the floating mat and I told her that it came with the cabana and she should go ask her parents to rent her one, but have never had any one intrude on our space. It is only the two of us so we are gone from the cabana at the same time many times. It is such a small thing to sweat.

Go have fun.

When we have sailed on HAL always have one never had ANY problems. It is two different lines.

We've had the HMC cabanas a few times now and no actual "squatters" but we did have people come up and ask if we could share? I said sure, the cost is $200 and we can split that...they walked away.

Also had people plop their stuff down on the steps...asked them to remove it and they did.

Had people take the beach chairs in front and block our way back into the cabana. Next time upon arrival to the cabana we moved the chairs out of the way.

I would also recommend you put your stuff into the cupboards provided and out of plain view when you head to lunch..just in case.

Enjoy!!

Have not been to HMC so I am not aware of the set-up. Are their signs or anything to let people know that the cabanas are for paying customers only? I ask because if there is not surely its possible for someone going by to think, "oh look at that cute little hut-thing. Think I'll go in it." :D

When I was at Half Moon Cay in May 2012 I booked Cabana #11. The young couple in Cabana #12 asked us to "watch" their Cabana while they were gone and we agreed. They were gone about an hour and came back with a bucket of beers to thank us. It was not necessary but very welcomed. It was the easiest job I ever had.

If you book a Cabana and have to leave, ask the people beside you to keep an eye on things. They paid for the Cabana too and I'm sure they will protect yours just in case they want to walk the beach also.

There are signs that say Private Rentals.

The first time we had no problems. The second time was a nightmare. We had a family move beach chairs to the side of ours and use the side of the cabana to store their items, sit on, use our shower every time we left it. Explore the inside when we were swimming. Take our floats, smoke like chimneys and curse like sailors. They were the type of people you didn't say anything to. I am brave but you had to have been there. We also had others block our stairs and use the stairs for a table which I proceeded to shake the sand off my feet into their drink.

This happens mainly in the lower number cabanas so try to get the higher numbers.

Security was no where to be found but I doubt they would have stopped them either. THis is the same family I saw ;ater on in the cruise 2 of their family members smoking on serenity and putting the cigarettes out in the hot tubs and throwing them over board.

There are signs that say Private Rentals.

THis is the same family I saw ;ater on in the cruise 2 of their family members smoking on serenity and putting the cigarettes out in the hot tubs and throwing them over board.

OMG!!! that is nasty... I hope I never have to see this.. :( some people are just RUDE!!!!! :eek:

When I was at Half Moon Cay in May 2012 I booked Cabana #11. The young couple in Cabana #12 asked us to "watch" their Cabana while they were gone and we agreed. They were gone about an hour and came back with a bucket of beers to thank us. It was not necessary but very welcomed. It was the easiest job I ever had.

If you book a Cabana and have to leave, ask the people beside you to keep an eye on things. They paid for the Cabana too and I'm sure they protect yours just in case they want to walk the beach also.

I really like that idea. We've never had everyone out of the cabana at the same time (there's four of us), but we have had people block the steps and try to use our shower - with us sitting right there. I also recommend getting one of the cabanas farther down the beach. We had 9 and 11 and had no problems with either. The one that gave us problems was 5 - and that was before the pirate bar was built.

I have had two cabanas and been at the Grand Cabana once.

Cabanas--never had any squatters or anyone borring the floaties. When we would go to the BBQ for lunch I took my cameras and left everything in the cabinets under the counter. All was well..

Grand Cabana--some of the kids at the beach area came over every now and again and used the slide at the Grand Cabana....no one said anything, and no one tried to crash the grand cabana...we had a "butler", bartender, two attendants (to keep the place tidy--their job was easy and we told em to chill and kick back), and two cooks to cook what we wanted--they take your order and make it for you....

If you want to have a nice quiet experience at HMC, get cabanas 7 and higher, the higher the number the more peaceful....bathrooms are between #8 and 9.

When we have sailed on HAL always have one never had ANY problems. It is two different lines.

Not sure what this means??

I agree with getting the higher number cabanas to get more peace and quiet...we had a few people ask if the mats were ours but no one took anything. A couple of people asked us how much we paid for the cabana. When we left the cabana for the day, there was still an hour or two for people to be at HMC, and we figured someone would use the cabana (which was fine...we weren't coming back) but we did take the snorkel equipment back to the little hut just so it didn't disappear after we left.

We rented cabana #9. No one encroached on us in any way that I am aware of. Dh and I left to go snorkeling a good long while, but there was no evidence of "visitors" while we were gone.

I feel really bad for the people who were intimidated into putting up with the nasty-mouthed squatters. I am sure dh and I wouldn't have wanted to tangle with them either.

We had a cabana on our last trip to HMC and didn't have any squatter problems.

I have to say this was the BEST cruise purchase I have ever made, our own personal space with amenities during 8 hours of heaven. Ahhhhhhhhhh. You won't regret having rented one!!

Archived