luggage labels

susiemcc

Having preprinted luggage tags was one of those things that made boarding MUCH easier. All this does is slow down the porters and increase the risk of losing a bag. In my opinion, this is no different than a checked bag tag from an airline. There are some costs to doing business. This didn't cost RCCL that much to do, and it was much more efficient before.

One of my pet peeves is when customers are expected to bear the inconvenience of a transaction for a service provider. IMHO, as a customer, I should not monkey around printing at home, or bumbling with a pen in a luggage discharge area so the cruise line can save a minor amount while holding up a porter. To charge $35 is simply outrageous, IMHO.

We did Navigator last week (1/5/13), and checking our luggage was a bit of a circus. With twelve of us and others in a fairly confined area sorting out our luggage and tags, it did not get us off on a good leg. The porters had blank tags, no pens, and a bit of an attitude. On the ship I overheard crew complaining that tags were missing from a number of bags. It's just a bad idea if efficiency and goodwill have any value.

I just timed it .

On our cheap Lexmark Inkjet printer it took less than 15 seconds to print one of our luggage tags for our upcoming cruise, another 10 seconds to fold it and about 5 seconds to put in four staples. Total time about half a minute for one tag. I probably could do quicker with a little more practice.

It would probably take less time per tag if one were to make 8 or 9. You could set up a print/assembly line with your kids.

You still have the option of ordering your custom tags but you won't be nickeled and dimed by RC as you will have to pay $35 for printed documents to get this if you aren't C&A Pinnacle or in a Grand Suite or above..

I for one don't want to subsidize through my cruise cost so those people who won't/can't print their own tags can still have custom tags mailed to them for a few dollars. Mailing alone cost more than that amount and there is still printing and labor cost.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif +1

One of my pet peeves is when customers are expected to bear the inconvenience of a transaction for a service provider. IMHO' date=' as a customer, I should not monkey around printing at home, or bumbling with a pen in a luggage discharge area so the cruise line can save a minor amount while holding up a porter. To charge $35 is simply outrageous, IMHO.

We did Navigator last week (1/5/13), and checking our luggage was a bit of a circus. With twelve of us and others in a fairly confined area sorting out our luggage and tags, it did not get us off on a good leg. The porters had blank tags, no pens, and a bit of an attitude. On the ship I overheard crew complaining that tags were missing from a number of bags. It's just a bad idea if efficiency and goodwill have any value.[/quote']

I agree that for those who can't/don't want to print their own tags having to pay $35 for the full e-docs is very expensive and you don't really need most of what is in that document.

Most people do the online registration and print off their set sail pass so what is so difficult about printing off a few luggage tags. Also for a few of our cruises booked close to the sailing date we didn't get the custom mailed to you luggage tags in time even though they were requested in sufficient time ahead according to the website. We found them waiting for us upon our return. Also a few time we changed cabins at the last minute. What I did here is added a label with the new cabin information so those custom tags could still be used. With the print your own tags it is easy and quick to have new ones sent to you or I could easily add the new cabin number to that PDF document. I did this to add our name to the tags for our upcoming cruise.

Our experience with cruising is it is a lot cheaper to do so these days than it was five or even ten years ago. If the cruiselines wants to use the internet and electronic media to save on their cost, I'm all for it as IMHO it will reduce my cost further. Princess have been using print your own luggage tags for many years and I always felt it was a better system.

I for one receive most of our correspondences and bills/invoices by email, do online banking and order/pay for things online. I rarely mail letters, never mail bill payments and almost never have to go out to do my banking.

For those who can't do their own printing I suggest if you have booked with a local travel agent you can ask them if they can do this for you as part of their service. Maybe this is an idea for a service that online agencies could also provide either at no cost or at a reasonable fee.

years ago i bought a roll of clear contac paper from wal-mart. i cover my luggage tags with this . this will be our 51 cruise, and i am still using the same clear contac paper i punch a hole in the tag and use twistie to secure it. NEVER had a problem.

I guess that would be too difficult for RC's IT staff to figure out how to do. I was elated they were able to get our correct cabin number on ours.:rolleyes:

Actually I modified this PDF document before printing by added our last name as text to that blank area where it should had been.

If you're planning on laminating your tags or using a pouch or vinyl holder (i.e. not using the fold-staple-tape method), you can use my tag rearranger program to combine 4 tags on a page and add the names in automatically. One of these days I'll get around to adding a function to just add a name to a tag without combining four on a page.

Why are names not preprinted on the tags?
They only makeup one tag for you to print (multiple times) in the booklet and putting names wouldn't work if you have people with different last names in the same room.

This is how I did my luggage tag craft project.

Basically, I filled in my name, folded it as directed, then folded the long strip in half, then covered it all with clear packing tape, then paper punched and strung a zip tie to attach to my luggage handle. Pretty easy, rainproof and durable.

tags.jpg

They only makeup one tag for you to print (multiple times) in the booklet and putting names wouldn't work if you have people with different last names in the same room.

I don't understand. "Jones" and "Smith" are both in the same room. When they go online and put in their reservations, they see the same room number, right? When "Jones" gets their luggage tags, it's says 6750/Jones. When "Smith" gets their luggage tags, it says 6750/Smith. Wouldn't all the luggage be delivered to 6750?

I don't see how that wouldn't work. And how would that be any different than handwriting on two different names?

We printed our cruise docs (including Set Sail Pass) at home and submitted a request online for our luggage tags to be mailed to us. We didn't pay anything-I can't remember which page it's on but you can have them mailed to you if you have enough time before your cruise.

I don't understand. "Jones" and "Smith" are both in the same room. When they go online and put in their reservations, they see the same room number, right? When "Jones" gets their luggage tags, it's says 6750/Jones. When "Smith" gets their luggage tags, it says 6750/Smith. Wouldn't all the luggage be delivered to 6750?

I don't see how that wouldn't work. And how would that be any different than handwriting on two different names?

I'm going to preface this by saying, "I'm not positive." When you book a cabin, it's booked under one name only with all other names being seconary to the person taking reponsibility for that cabin and that reservation number. I don't think two different people can book the same cabin separately thus generating two different booking numbers for the same cabin.

When you do your final paperwork for online check in (set sail pass), you generate a ticket book with check in details. If you choose not to pay the fee to recieve the ticket and luggage tags by mail, you will get a link to a PDF or online ticket book with only one luggage tag displayed inside, because that is how they designed it. They designed the book to have only one luggage tag format inside displaying ship, sailing date, cabin number and basic location for sorting and any special status of guest(s).

When you order your ticket and luggage tags by mail they do print separate tags for each person listed as a guest in that cabin. I suppose they could redesign the PDF / online booklet to display separate tags for each name attached to that reservation - but they didn't - that I can't explain, but I bet there is a reason.:confused:

We printed our cruise docs (including Set Sail Pass) at home and submitted a request online for our luggage tags to be mailed to us. We didn't pay anything-I can't remember which page it's on but you can have them mailed to you if you have enough time before your cruise.

If you are in a GS or higher or a PC member.

If you're planning on laminating your tags or using a pouch or vinyl holder (i.e. not using the fold-staple-tape method), you can use my tag rearranger program to combine 4 tags on a page and add the names in automatically. One of these days I'll get around to adding a function to just add a name to a tag without combining four on a page.

I had some spare time tonight, so I updated the program at the above link to Version 2.0 which has a function to add a name to the regular luggage tags (for using the fold-staple-tape method). It lets you create tags with as many different names as you need.

I'm going to preface this by saying, "I'm not positive." When you book a cabin, it's booked under one name only with all other names being seconary to the person taking reponsibility for that cabin and that reservation number. I don't think two different people can book the same cabin separately thus generating two different booking numbers for the same cabin.

When you do your final paperwork for online check in (set sail pass), you generate a ticket book with check in details. If you choose not to pay the fee to recieve the ticket and luggage tags by mail, you will get a link to a PDF or online ticket book with only one luggage tag displayed inside, because that is how they designed it. They designed the book to have only one luggage tag format inside displaying ship, sailing date, cabin number and basic location for sorting and any special status of guest(s).

When you order your ticket and luggage tags by mail they do print separate tags for each person listed as a guest in that cabin. I suppose they could redesign the PDF / online booklet to display separate tags for each name attached to that reservation - but they didn't - that I can't explain, but I bet there is a reason.:confused:

Sorry. I brought up "Smith" and "Jones" because someone said if there were two last names in the same room, that would cause problems if the luggage tags had the name pre-printed on them. I don't follow that logic.

I would ASSUME your presumption is correct. There's one "master" name for a room. So does that person get ALL the edocs? Of which of course he could forward on to anyone else staying in the room. If "Smith" and "Jones" are staying in a room that "Smith" booked, it really doesn't matter whether it says "Smith" on "Jones'" luggage. So I just don't understand how different names could cause problems. And I don't understand why they don't preprint the names on the tags along with the room number.

Sorry. I brought up "Smith" and "Jones" because someone said if there were two last names in the same room, that would cause problems if the luggage tags had the name pre-printed on them. I don't follow that logic.

I would ASSUME your presumption is correct. There's one "master" name for a room. So does that person get ALL the edocs? Of which of course he could forward on to anyone else staying in the room. If "Smith" and "Jones" are staying in a room that "Smith" booked, it really doesn't matter whether it says "Smith" on "Jones'" luggage. So I just don't understand how different names could cause problems. And I don't understand why they don't preprint the names on the tags along with the room number.

Good point. I could only venture a wild guess that it has something to do with either Homeland Security and luggage identity or some other form of security and baggage claim....

Archived