Favolosa Venice 28 October 12 - did anyone travel on this sailing?

CV29

Interested to hear from anyone who travelled on Favolosa on 28 October 2012. Fantastic cruise (when we got on board) but spent worst day of my life in Venice. If you were on board, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, I have received my 35% refund which was given to all passengers on board but Costa are still arguing over the refund of my all inclusive drinks package for the first night. Given we didn't board at all on 28 October I have asked for this money back. I was told on board it would be refunded via travel agent, but Costa now seems to have changed their mind.

Is anyone else experiencing similar or has anyone had 35% and drinks package refunded?

Thanks,

Interested to hear from anyone who travelled on Favolosa on 28 October 2012. Fantastic cruise (when we got on board) but spent worst day of my life in Venice. If you were on board, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, I have received my 35% refund which was given to all passengers on board but Costa are still arguing over the refund of my all inclusive drinks package for the first night. Given we didn't board at all on 28 October I have asked for this money back. I was told on board it would be refunded via travel agent, but Costa now seems to have changed their mind.

Is anyone else experiencing similar or has anyone had 35% and drinks package refunded?

Thanks,

What happened in Venice?

Pls tell us.

I am considering a cruise to eastern med out of Venice; should I book it or try another embarkation port?

Bit of a long story but happy to share. We got to Venice port at about 4pm. Favolosa should have docked at 9am but still hadn't been allowed to dock due to severe rain and wind. I was travelling with my mother and my two children aged 8 and 5. There were over 3000 people waiting and we had one seat between 4 of us. There were probably about 3 Costa reps and no-one knew if ship would be allowed to dock that night. I spent 7 of the next 9 hours standing in queues desperately trying to get food and water not knowing where we were going to sleep that night. Ship eventually docked at 9pm and we were told boarding would start at 10.30pm. At 10pm we stood and tried to position ourselves near boarding (along with everyone else). By midnight boarding had still not commenced and the mood was becoming quite nasty with passengers jeering, chanting and slow hand clapping. People were collapsing and in the end my 8 year old became incredibly distressed and frightened, couldn't stop sobbing and said she couldn't feel her legs anymore. I forced our way to the front, which was probably the best thing we could have done, and forced her under the security barrier at the front to ask for help. Some security guards and a policeman looked after her, found her a seat and when boarding eventually commenced around 1am we were straight on the ship. I discovered later that boarding had gone on until 4.30am.

I can't blame Costa for the weather but their contingency arrangements in Venice were appalling.

We eventually had a fantastic week, it doesn't put me off cruising or Costa and I know it must be a rare occurance, but I think it will be a while before I could think about returning to Venice cruise terminal. If you do go, take plenty of food and drink with you just in case as there is nothing there.

Wow what an ordeal to suffer. As you say the weather can't be helped, but in all that time, they should have been able to organise something more than that for passengers. Not pleasant for anyone but particularly distressing for the young and elderly to endure.

I know MSC and some other lines also had issues with winter cruises in Venice, where they could not dock at all because of really bad fog and were diverted to Trieste. Lots of folk getting off missed flights and had a nightmare, whilst those due to board had to get coached along to Trieste but I believe they had a whole load of waiting to do, with very little information being provided.

Cruise lines really need to have better contingency arrangements in place particularly for weather situations which are not uncommon during winter.

Archived