Epic for Non-Family

SuperTrooper00

It seems that many (most?) of the reviews found online about the Epic are for families (or from solo travelers). And it definitely seems like many of the folks who love the Epic do so because it works for such a variety of ages.

So I was hoping some wouldn't mind talking about their experience on the Epic simply as a couple.

Did the ship satisfy your vacation expectations?

Did the ship seem too big for a "couples vacation"?

Did there seem to be too much geared towards families or children?

I would just love to hear some feedback about the Epic from a couples point of view.

I have an opinion, but I'll hold my comments because you asked specifically for those that sailed as a couple. I wanted to point out that there is a lot of Epic information in my signature, including reviews, virtual tours, etc. that might be helpful

We sailed the Epic as a couple (DINKS) last Nov

And we are sailing on her again for a TA

It is a big ship but it has so much food and entetainment to offer you choices

I didnt feel it was any different from other cruiselines concerning family or kids.

I think it might depend on when you sail on how many kids are onboard but I dont recall anytime I was affected by kids.

So I guess that means they do a good job keeping them entertained

We had a balcony cabin so we were able to get away for some quiet time

The bathroom setup can be weird for some as it doesnt offer much privacy but it does help when one has to take a shower and the other needs the commode.

The pool deck does get loud during the day with alot of fun people drinking and partying but you can find quieter places around the ship if you want as well.

SPice H20 is adult only during the day. We really enjoyed that space

Also forward on deck 18 had nice loungers but not sure that is always open as we did it for sailaway

The entertainment was great

You are able to get 2 tops in the MDR's if you want

With all the dining choices you can have something different every night

I think as a couple you can do as little or as much as you want

We might do the Spa pass this time since we have so many sea days

We have always enjoyed the mid-sized NCL ships and thought they provided a perfect balance of quiet, but fun with freestyle. It just makes you pause to consider if the Epic is a completely different cruise experience, or a better version of the Dawn, Star, or Jewel.

We sailed the Epic as a couple last Summer on the Western Med trip.

It was our first summer holiday without our DD!

The Epic was an amazing ship and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We were fortunate enough to have a balcony and had some quiet time there, but were certainly not overly aware of hoards of children.........and we went in school holiday time! Any children we DID meet were just having fun and enjoying the ship, as we were.

It was a very port-intensive trip and I don't think we enjoyed all the Epic had to offer.......so maybe a return trip is necessary??? ;)

We thought the entertainment was great fun, the food was excellent.....loads of choice...nowhere was ever full of children......although we DID eat a little later than perhaps families would.

All-in-all, a great trip as a couple. The only thing that would have made it better for ME..........would have been having DD with us!!! :o

My husband and I sailed the Epic, review in my signature, and we had an amazing time.

There were plenty of things to do together and have fun. I never thought the ship felt too big. I don't think it's geared to much towards just families, there is plenty for everyone to do, young and old, with kids or without.

If you really want to get away from the crowd, get a Posh Pass or Spa Pass.

I hope that helps you out :)

I have an opinion, but I'll hold my comments because you asked specifically for those that sailed as a couple. I wanted to point out that there is a lot of Epic information in my signature, including reviews, virtual tours, etc. that might be helpful

Hey Mike,

You are always so helpful and I would still love to hear your thoughts. Even though you went with your family I am sure you could elaborate on what it would be like to go just with your wife.

Thanks for posting the question as my thoughts were similar as we're sailing in July. Some great advice and comments given.

It seems like a great ship. It is just big and I would fear crowded. I could imagine a family not caring as much about crowds, but for a couple, I could see it taking some of the romance out of it. We love the idea of it being fun, and having lots to do, but we also don't want to feel like we are part of a cattle call.

It seems like a great ship. It is just big and I would fear crowded. I could imagine a family not caring as much about crowds, but for a couple, I could see it taking some of the romance out of it. We love the idea of it being fun, and having lots to do, but we also don't want to feel like we are part of a cattle call.

What kind of experience are you really looking for? What do you like to do on smaller ships? Maybe that will help us give you the info you're looking for.

How does being part of a family make you amenable to crowds? That's such an odd statement.

It is odd a bit, isn't it? :) All I mean is when my children celebrate a birthday, they want to go to Chuck E. Cheese, and they could care less that people are packed liked sardines. They love the activity and the energy. And as a parent, if they are happy I am pretty happy.

As a couple on vacation, the entertainment and life is a good thing, but I would fear it being so big or so crowded that it takes some of the romance part out of it. Having sailed NCL, I know there are always places to "get away" from the crowds. But, its still a bit of a concern having never sailed the Epic.

Hey Mike,

You are always so helpful and I would still love to hear your thoughts. Even though you went with your family I am sure you could elaborate on what it would be like to go just with your wife.

I think I would have done more if it was just my wife and I. We didn't see Second City because it wasn't something the kids were interested in. The kids also liked going to Taste, so we didn't go to Manhattan or see Legends unplugged. We didn't see Slam Allen. The stuff we did was more family oriented and geared towards ensuring the kids had a great time. We also didn't go on some excursions that we might have as a couple, like the Mayan ruins (to much walking and heat for the kids), or something other things that would have been cost prohibitive for 5 versus 2. We probably would have done a couple more specialty restaurants too.

Now having said that, going as a couple might have found us running around trying to do too much, at least until we got exhausted and crashed. :) Maybe having to deal with kids and my elderly parents kept us from going on full activity overload. :)

Either way, the Epic does a great job of spreading people around the ship. With all of the dining and entertainment options there were few times when anything seemed real crowded to us. The exception was an unbelievably gorgeous sea day when everyone wanted to be at the pool, and a couple times when the main theater and Cirque were letting out near the same elevator bank at the same time. We never felt like we could not find a quiet place to relax, whether it was on the sun deck somewhere, our balcony, or in a quiet lounge area on the ship (if everyone was outside)

Maybe it would help to ask a few specific questions:

- Were there places on the Epic you could find "less crowds" when you wanted to?

- Every ship I have been on is crowded around the pool on Sea Days, but, can you find a lounger in other places in the sun?

- There are lots of great venues on board. I have heard the shows can be crowded, book ahead, etc. But, can you get into the smaller venues (Fat Cats, Howl, Bliss, Osheehan's, etc) with little to no problem?

- Does embarkation/disembarkation and port days seem extra crowded, have long lines, etc.?

- Is it fairly easy to get into the Specialty restaurants (besides the always busy Teppanyaki) on a night for a romantic dinner?

- The Spa Pass would be a romantic way to get away, but I have read it can be very crowded, is that still true?

Those questions would help a ton...thanks

As a couple on vacation, the entertainment and life is a good thing, but I would fear it being so big or so crowded that it takes some of the romance part out of it. Having sailed NCL, I know there are always places to "get away" from the crowds. But, its still a bit of a concern having never sailed the Epic.

If you have sailed on other ships than use the same techniques on the Epic.

You can still be romantic in a group of 4000 Just have to be more a little more creative;)

Maybe it would help to ask a few specific questions:

- Were there places on the Epic you could find "less crowds" when you wanted to?

Whatever bar is by the Ice Bar has seating in the corner, it's like your own private area.

Buy a Posh Pass and hang out up there.

The other half of O'Sheehan's has couches to sit on and relax.

- Every ship I have been on is crowded around the pool on Sea Days, but, can you find a lounger in other places in the sun?

Yes the pool deck gets crowded, you can go up one deck and lay out up there, it's not as crowded. There is also Spice H20 which can be crowded at times, but it's 18+

Port days there are plenty of chairs available and it's the best time to enjoy the slides. My husband was on them for half the day and didn't have to wait. He was in heaven!

- There are lots of great venues on board. I have heard the shows can be crowded, book ahead, etc. But, can you get into the smaller venues (Fat Cats, Howl, Bliss, Osheehan's, etc) with little to no problem?

Cirque, Blue Man, and Legends will all be crowded and probably sold out. Pretend you're at the movies, while a lot of people can fit in there, you never really feel like you're stuffed in there with tons of people.

The others can get busy at times but it's not like the other shows. Bliss has lots of comfy chairs and it's really dark in there.

- Does embarkation/disembarkation and port days seem extra crowded, have long lines, etc.?

I felt the lines moved quickly and you were on and off the ship in minutes

- Is it fairly easy to get into the Specialty restaurants (besides the always busy Teppanyaki) on a night for a romantic dinner?

Depends. What time do you like to eat? I like to eat early, between 5 and 6, most specialty resturants were not busy at all. We bascially had Cagney's to ourselves for part of dinner.

- The Spa Pass would be a romantic way to get away, but I have read it can be very crowded, is that still true?

I didn't use the spa so I can't help you with that.

Those questions would help a ton...thanks

I hope that helps you out.

It does help, thanks.

So, it sounds like that for those who have sailed the Epic, you would have no hesitation booking it again without kids? Would you choose it over most, if not all, other NCL ships.

I don't have kids, and I would book the Epic again. I'm waiting for her to start sailing the Western Carribean to book. Our next cruise is on the Breakaway, I can't wait!

Archived