Beaches in Barbados

I am thinking of spending a day chilling on the beach, when we dock in Barbados. I would like a good beach not too far in a taxi. Is there a beach like this with some bars/restaurants and maybe even a few shops.

As it's a Sunday don't want to arrive somewhere and everything is closed.

I have looked a the ship excursion for a beach break and it's very short.

I have also found this link and wondering whether this may be a better option?

http://www.barbadosforaday.com/Day_P...CRA_Beach.html

Obviously we would still have to pay for our tranfers there and back.

Advice please especially for those who have been in Barbados on a Sunday.

Lorraine

10 days and counting

all the best beaches are on the west coast

near the port: There is a nice beach walkable from the ship, Carlisle bay, where you will find the (lively) beach clubs lobster alive and the boatyard both open on sunday, there is also a taxi shuttle running back and forth from the port terminal (minibus they will wait until the bus is full up before setting off $5)

Brighton beach (about 10 mins taxi ride) is quieter the malibu beach club there is closed on sundays, if you like a drink with just a few locals about then weiser's bar is open on sundays also on Brighton beach, just ask taxi to take you to weiser's beach $10 one way taxi will return to pick up if you wish, there is a reef this end of Brighton beach but walk 100 yards up for swimming

easy taxi ride from port: paynes bay and you have sandy lane bay next beach up, this area is good for snorkelling/turtle spotting about $20 taxi

public bus service is a little sporadic on a sunday

there are no private beaches on Barbados all beaches are public

hope this helps

Which direction do I take for Carlisle beach and how long will it take to get there please. :)

When you come out of the port turn right and it is actually walkable - we did it last year both ways although it was very hot on the return and perhaps it would have been an idea to get a taxi at least one way. (Perhaps 1.5 to 2 miles depending on whether you settle at the near compared with the port at the Boatyard or carry on a bit further to Harbour Lights where we went).

Here is a link to my review from last year which describes the walk to Carlisle.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1608282&highlight=carlisle+bay

Not sure which itinerary you're doing solostar but the other ports in the link may or may not be relevant for you.

P.S. Doh.......just checked your itinerary for your sailing date and of course the Tortola/St Maarten itinerary is yours - it's our 2nd week!!!!!!! So the ports will be on your trip except for Portsmouth in Dominica. Have a great time! We'll be trying out the beaches on your arrival day! ;)

We went to that beach on the advice of Kruzseeka last April but got the mini bus just outside the port, much easier when time is short, just ask any of the drivers which one it is. The driver arranged to pick us up at the beach for the return and was there dead on the time we arranged, very good. When you get dropped off you have to walk through a bar area to the beach, don't accept the sunbeds right in front as they are 50% more than the one a few minutes walk to the right and the beds are shabby looking. We had a nice morning there, I'm sure I remember a playground at the back of the beach behind us. We got some cold drinks from the beach bar and again the prices were very reasonable.:):)

Jan

Thanks to you both for the info, I think I will wait and see how hot it is before I decide to walk, even with the sea breeze and cloudy skies you can burn, as you did Kruzseeker :eek: and I will check out Harbour Lights, The Boatyard sounds a bit too lively, and the Lobster one sounds too fishy ( I know there is a lot of sea food in the Caribbean ) I don,t like to see live Lobsters waiting for the pot :( Thanks again.

Thanks to you both for the info, I think I will wait and see how hot it is before I decide to walk, even with the sea breeze and cloudy skies you can burn, as you did Kruzseeker :eek: and I will check out Harbour Lights, The Boatyard sounds a bit too lively, and the Lobster one sounds too fishy ( I know there is a lot of sea food in the Caribbean ) I don,t like to see live Lobsters waiting for the pot :( Thanks again.

Just seen this link on a different thread. It's got some lovely clips of all the beaches. According to that I think the one we went to on Carlisle Bay is called Browne's.

http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/

Thanks for the link on other thread for Antigua, I saved lots of your info on my other pc and lost it when i swopped, so going through all old threads slowly. I think we will settle for Browns beach, Harbour lights looks fine to me :D Thanks again for your help.

Hi there,why not try the Boatyard beach.Its about 15 mins from the port and theres plenty to do once your there.If memory serves me right its $10 dollars each for entry this gets you a parasol a sun bed but includes a free taxi back to the ship.There is a beach bar where you can buy food.If you are just looking to chill its great but you can also hire jet skis or go on the bannana boat,a great day out.

I have seen this one but some posts have said that it is noisy, I am not averse to a lively atmosphere but don,t want to be amongst a too young crowd , if you know what I mean, just want to read my book and have a few cocktails ;)

So are all these names sections of beach, in front of various restaurants/bars? We would like to have lunch on that day...so does Lobster Alive for example just do seafood/fish.

What other food will we be able to purchase on the beach?

Thanks for all your brilliant feedback guys

Lorraine

no not just sea food....bbq chicken/burgers etc too

the name is a tongue in cheek reference to the inhabitants of the beach rather than the seafood, although the seafood is good especially the flying fish cutters (sandwiches)

you pay a fee? (don’t know how much sorry, I didnt pay I just walked in from the beach) To enter and get a sunbed & umbrella, a rum punch and a lift back to the ship

its really a lively beach club/bar music/party atmosphere, also a few vendors jet-ski guy/coconut carving guy.....walk up the beach a bit further for a quieter time

or try brighton beach (also nr the port), no vendors, not too many people and the bar/toilets/showers are open on sundays and there is a lifeguard/security there & some picnic tables, you can get reasonably priced food/coffee at the bar also

We did the Boatyard at the same time of year as you will be going,and I would not describe it as lively or noisy at all.It was quite quiet, lots to do,lovely beach,cocktail and sun beds all in with the price ($12 I think)and a free ride back to the ship.It is well worth it.:)

solostar - have you seen the post (#5) from hammers on the thread below? It's a compilation of info he picked up on the ports forum on beaches/transport etc. and I think there's some good stuff in there which I'm going to copy and that may be of interest or helpful to you too.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772092

Hi Kruzseeker, yes I read it earlier on, lots of info on beaches, I know you like searching out the public transport, braver than me. I tend to just get a taxi, there are 4 of us so fare is split,so not too bad. I like wandering the port area and perhaps a couple of trips to see the countryside. :)

Archived