Large groups taking over cruise - opinion please :)

HI all, Joco3 Cruise attendee here as well.

I've been on other cruises, non-group oriented, and yes, even large family groups traveling together can be a pain. The in jokes, the laughing, the dancing. It's sometimes clear they are having a different kind of fun than me and I am usually a mix of annoyed and jealous.

The concerts are in the late afternoon, before dinner, so you might want to plan accordingly. thats 800 people who are not in line for the climbing wall or flow rider. Geeks on this trip tend to be adults who dont mind looking silly or immature in public, which is offensive to some people. I cant help you with that.

Will you be upset from time to time that people are singing in the elevators? Depends on how you feel about elevator singing. At some point or another you will be annoyed by fellow cruisers, us or other people. Deep breaths and hang in there.

One of the reasons I decided to try RCI cruises OUTSIDE of the entertainment I will see is that I read on cruise critic that FOS and the other RCI ships are less like traditional cruise ships and more like theme hotels in Vegas. I got the impression that the person who said that didnt care for the change, from mature retired cruisers to younger families and more energetic adults without children.

I like that idea, myself because while I am a 51 year old woman, I want to play and carry on energetically and without children. I will be laughing loudly, more than likely.

I cant really see my husband nor I getting annoyed with any of those kinds of things, like elevator singing. I think we're going to be so excited to be on the cruise that other happy people wont really bother me... again, just the space issue and lines that can happen from any big group.

I am another person who is a part of the JoCo group on this cruise. I was on last year's JoCo cruise and found that almost everybody in the group is nice, polite, and pleasant. Because of the large amount of time that we have booked at concerts, I think you'll find that evenings in particular, we will not remotely be in your way. On the contrary, that's 1/4 of the ship that isn't vying for any other public space. During the day we're just like any other cruisers who would like to grab a bite at the buffet or a lounge chair by the pool. I don't think any non-JoCo cruisers will find that we impact their vacation much, except for the enhanced people watching.

The people in this group are very approachable and open-minded, so feel free to talk to us, ask us questions, or let us know if we're bothering you!

Thank you for joining the thread! You definitely have a good point about the concerts opening up some spaces for the rest of the cruisers. The more I read about the JoCo group, the more surprised I am that some of my in-laws are not signed up for this cruise...

Cant wait until February 10th! Definitely getting closer... already started packing!

This group sells a separate entertainment pass for $385 in addition to the cruise fare. They are all on main seating so that it will make it easier for their shows. They also picked Freedom because they needed larger venues so everyone in their group can see the shows.

Looks like they might be a little more intrusive than the plumbers.;):)

We are the late seating so probably won't be that affected. Wonder if many are D or D+ and how that will affect the DL. However, if they are on main seating, they would be eating when we go to the DL for pre-dinner drinks so the lounge may not be very crowded.

My husband and I are also on this sailing and personally, I think it's going to be hilarious and a lot of fun watching this group!! Can't wait! Attitude is everything and if you go into this with a good one....and a willingness to get to know the group...I think everything will be fine! Oh....and I can't WAIT to see "Gordie"...;) as "Stand By Me" still ranks as one of the best coming of age movies EVER!! See you guys on the ship....yay!!! :p

After reading this thread and looking up the JoCo cruise website - totally wished we would have known about this cruise earlier (although we are already booked for the Oasis beginning of March :))! Have to show hubby tomorrow when he's off work.

Enjoy the cruise and the people you meet! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, I am yet another one of the JoCo group that will be on board. If anyone is still scared or concerned, maybe hearing from one more person will ease some fears.

I was on the "same" cruise last year, JCCC2. We were on HAL's Westerdam, and our group was roughly the same percentage of the total passengers as we will be this year. There's a few more of us this year, but we're on a bigger ship. JCCC2 was my first cruise.

So who are we? If you really want to stereotype us, you can call us nerds or geeks. But you might be surprised at how much variety you will see. We're a pretty even mix of men and women, from all over the US and other countries. There's probably a few more computer programmers than average, but there are a wide variety of other professions represented as well - last year I met an accountant, several musicians, game designers, authors, a sculptor, 2 NASA scientists, school teachers, retired folks, and a high school student there with her father. Some of us are super duper 5 gold star cruisers who got free upgrades to the fanciest suite on the Westerdam, while others (like me) were sharing a porthole room with 3 strangers to make the trip affordable.

Last year, on HAL, our group felt "younger" than the other passengers. (People who know more about the cruise industry told me that HAL tends to have a slightly older, slightly more conservative crowd.) I have to believe them, because the Westerdam didn't have a rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, or surfing simulator :eek: This year I think our mix of ages will be closer to the rest of the passengers - mostly middle age, good amount of 20 somethings, some older folks, and some families with small kids. I know there was at least one family with 3 generations represented last time.

Now the real question is how will we be screwing up your vacation right? ;)

Here's some idea of what venues we'll be using:

• We will be hogging the conference center 24/7. Hopefully no big deal for anyone.

• We will be hogging the main theater for the shows included in the entertainment package we paid for. most of these are in the afternoon before dinner, which for us is at 5:30. Last year they were very strict about ending the shows on time to make way for the normal shipboard shows. This made me sad, as it meant no encores, but it means you don't have to worry about missing out on the shows you would normally get to see, because we'll all be eating or doing something else.

• Last year we were all in the same seating for dinner, but we didn't have the *entire* dining room -there were tables for other folks as well. I don't know about this year. If you are in our seating, you can expect loud applause and cheering when the performers who played their set that afternoon arrive. (We also cheered the heck out of the waiters when they did their parade thing. Not sure if that's typical cruise behavior or not.) On the formal nights, you will see a wider range of formal wear than you typically would - there will be at least a few formal kilts, a Victorian style ball gown, a corset or two, top hats, and yes, one or two Star Trek uniforms. Feel free to compliment people if you like their outfit - a lot of the items are probably hand made. On the first formal night, you will see a lot of fake mustaches and fezzes. If you enjoy people watching, try to get in this seating with us. Or bring your own mustache and join in the fun. However, if you like your formal nights more conservative, I would suggest another seating ;)

• We will take over a venue like Studio B or the On Air Club at certain times. Based on last year's experience, we'll be packed in that particular venue like sardines, leaving everything else relatively empty.

• Someone earlier in the thread was worried about WiFi. Some of us will definitely be on their gadgets the whole time trying to keep their businesses afloat. But plenty more of us stare at a computer too much at work as it is, and are there to relax, tune out, and enjoy a week away from screens, keyboards, and stress. Plus internet is expensive on a boat - I'd rather save my money for frosty adult beverages!

We have sailed with a large unruly RUDE group of Russians/Ukrainians, Bikers and the orange or yellow shirted religious fanatics- the world will end Oct 21st or Dec 21st... We loved the bikers, fun crowd with gorgeous bikes! The religious crew were quite argumentive with anyone not in their group and were obnoxious, the Russians taught me never to sail out of the New York in Dec but the bikers taught us how to enjoy life! We would sail with them anytime! never judge a book by its cover!!

• We will take over a venue like Studio B or the On Air Club at certain times. Based on last year's experience, we'll be packed in that particular venue like sardines, leaving everything else relatively empty.

Thank you! All of that was extremely informative, especially the part about venues - I was wondering if your gatherings would clear up part of the ship for everyone else - good to know. Cannot wait to meet everyone!

just came off the Allure with a very large (close to 1000) Jewish group. They took over the hot tubs by the main pool and were pretty rude to the wait staff at dinner. (I saw two different tables asked to be reseated since they were kind of obnoxious). Also their kids were not real friendly/social towards the gentiles in any of the teen/adventure ocean programs. But they weren't rowdy by any stretch and didn't cause any problems.

Also the Wipeout cafe was converted to a kosher kitchen which was somewhat disappointing since I was looking for some quick pool/kid friendly food close to the sports deck and it wasn't there.

Edited by pittnh

Thanks for your input about your group!! Very informative for those of us that will be travelling with you...although I am not worried about it in the least and look so forward to seeing all of your group, I know a few on our ship had some real concerns...so thanks for taking the time to post this....and we'll see you onboard! Can't wait!!!

The official (but still provisional) JCCC3 schedule has been made available here: https://jococruisecrazy.com/book/util/current-schedule

It is a PDF that you might want to print out and take with you on board. That way you can avoid those areas of the ship where we will have our official, private events.

Edited by Grimoire

Howdy! My husband and I are going on a cruise soon (FOS), and it has come to our attention that a rather large group of about 800 people are sailing with us.

Has anyone experienced this? We are worried that large groups like this can take over public spaces when they come together to meet and/or hang out. I understand that they have their own shows to go to in reserved sections of the ship, but I have heard horror stories of large groups "annoying" other passengers, getting in everyones way, and generally "taking over" parts of the ship. Any input would be great! I am hoping to hear some good stories... its too late for us to cancel now...

I'm on that sailing too. Not one of the group however.

We've been in a similar situation before. There was a group on the Liberty during one of our sailings from a Southern US company that sells women's beauty products. It really didn't pose any issues for us. If those cabin's weren't occupied by a group they most certainly would have been booked by other passengers.

I expect group members will be at their own activities during evenings onboard. That should open up some of the bars, shows etc for others.

My 2 cents anyway....

Hi everybody, I am yet another one of the JoCo group that will be on board. If anyone is still scared or concerned, maybe hearing from one more person will ease some fears.

I was on the "same" cruise last year, JCCC2. We were on HAL's Westerdam, and our group was roughly the same percentage of the total passengers as we will be this year. There's a few more of us this year, but we're on a bigger ship. JCCC2 was my first cruise.

So who are we? If you really want to stereotype us, you can call us nerds or geeks. But you might be surprised at how much variety you will see. We're a pretty even mix of men and women, from all over the US and other countries. There's probably a few more computer programmers than average, but there are a wide variety of other professions represented as well - last year I met an accountant, several musicians, game designers, authors, a sculptor, 2 NASA scientists, school teachers, retired folks, and a high school student there with her father. Some of us are super duper 5 gold star cruisers who got free upgrades to the fanciest suite on the Westerdam, while others (like me) were sharing a porthole room with 3 strangers to make the trip affordable.

Last year, on HAL, our group felt "younger" than the other passengers. (People who know more about the cruise industry told me that HAL tends to have a slightly older, slightly more conservative crowd.) I have to believe them, because the Westerdam didn't have a rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, or surfing simulator :eek: This year I think our mix of ages will be closer to the rest of the passengers - mostly middle age, good amount of 20 somethings, some older folks, and some families with small kids. I know there was at least one family with 3 generations represented last time.

• We will be hogging the conference center 24/7. Hopefully no big deal for anyone.

• We will be hogging the main theater for the shows included in the entertainment package we paid for. most of these are in the afternoon before dinner, which for us is at 5:30. Last year they were very strict about ending the shows on time to make way for the normal shipboard shows. This made me sad, as it meant no encores, but it means you don't have to worry about missing out on the shows you would normally get to see, because we'll all be eating or doing something else.

• Last year we were all in the same seating for dinner, but we didn't have the *entire* dining room -there were tables for other folks as well. I don't know about this year. If you are in our seating, you can expect loud applause and cheering when the performers who played their set that afternoon arrive. (We also cheered the heck out of the waiters when they did their parade thing. Not sure if that's typical cruise behavior or not.) On the formal nights, you will see a wider range of formal wear than you typically would - there will be at least a few formal kilts, a Victorian style ball gown, a corset or two, top hats, and yes, one or two Star Trek uniforms. Feel free to compliment people if you like their outfit - a lot of the items are probably hand made. On the first formal night, you will see a lot of fake mustaches and fezzes. If you enjoy people watching, try to get in this seating with us. Or bring your own mustache and join in the fun. However, if you like your formal nights more conservative, I would suggest another seating ;)

• Someone earlier in the thread was worried about WiFi. Some of us will definitely be on their gadgets the whole time trying to keep their businesses afloat. But plenty more of us stare at a computer too much at work as it is, and are there to relax, tune out, and enjoy a week away from screens, keyboards, and stress. Plus internet is expensive on a boat - I'd rather save my money for frosty adult beverages!

Thanks for posting! You guys sound like quite a group. What's the deal with the Fez though? LOL

I would LOVE to see these formal dinners. Love the top hats idea. :)

Thanks for posting! You guys sound like quite a group. What's the deal with the Fez though? LOL

I present you with the 11th Doctor and his Fez. (Dr. Who)

tumblr_lpu78mkyFb1qhnv75.jpg

If you still want to pick one up for your cruise then check out this one for $15. (personally I'd rather have a scarf)

f0db_doctor_who_fez_bowtie_set.jpg

As for mustaches... well they're just currently very popular in geeky circles. I can't really explain it.

Here are some great emergency staches if you need one for your cruise. :)

MUST-1312.jpg

Damn this sounds like a LOT of fun!

Howdy! My husband and I are going on a cruise soon (FOS), and it has come to our attention that a rather large group of about 800 people are sailing with us.

Has anyone experienced this? We are worried that large groups like this can take over public spaces when they come together to meet and/or hang out. I understand that they have their own shows to go to in reserved sections of the ship, but I have heard horror stories of large groups "annoying" other passengers, getting in everyones way, and generally "taking over" parts of the ship. Any input would be great! I am hoping to hear some good stories... its too late for us to cancel now...

We did one in 2004 and they were the Pampered Chef winners of yearly sales goals. IT SUCKED....They were type A and they were loud and dominated all the public spaces. Hopefully you will be a large group of mimes....Good luck.;)

• 8 months later...

As one of the Jocoers, I was wondering how our group affected the other cruisers?

Personally, I had a blast. What a great ship, what lovely crew members.

However, the cheese platter sucks. I cant explain why, it just did.

Laura

Way back in 1999 we sailed on the Carnival Paradise when it was non smoking. This was when you could literally book last minute. Found an unbelievable rate on the seven night cruise on a Wednesday and we sailed on Saturday. As we were boarding we noticed a great many really OLD PEOPLE. I'm talking walkers and Oxygen. We found out the next day a local South Florida travel agent had book over 80% of the cruise from two very, very large condo type retirement villages. Also found out that the youngest of the group was 73 years old. It was an interesting week. The ship's AC was set very high because they were all cold. We were miserable in the public areas. Massive lines at the service desk they were complaining about being too cold, the food to spicy ect. All the poor bartenders were only serving glasses of water to take pills (I'm not exaggerating). All were wanting early dining times and most were not happy they couldn't get it. We were close to being run over by wheel chairs more than a few times.

Way back in 1999 we sailed on the Carnival Paradise when it was non smoking. This was when you could literally book last minute. Found an unbelievable rate on the seven night cruise on a Wednesday and we sailed on Saturday. As we were boarding we noticed a great many really OLD PEOPLE. I'm talking walkers and Oxygen. We found out the next day a local South Florida travel agent had book over 80% of the cruise from two very, very large condo type retirement villages. Also found out that the youngest of the group was 73 years old. It was an interesting week. The ship's AC was set very high because they were all cold. We were miserable in the public areas. Massive lines at the service desk they were complaining about being too cold, the food to spicy ect. All the poor bartenders were only serving glasses of water to take pills (I'm not exaggerating). All were wanting early dining times and most were not happy they couldn't get it. We were close to being run over by wheel chairs more than a few times.

Now THAT does not sound like a fun cruise at all. Honestly I don't think the staff should turn up the AC warmer because some people are cold. Most cruise lines advise passengers to being a light jacket and/or sweater and at one time (maybe still do) the brochures specifically mentioned this.

Secondly, I think in this case, the travel agent made a poor decision booking a group like that on Carnival. She should have booked them on a cruise line that is geared to an older clientele than Carnival. At least after 8:00pm the fun would be getting started!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow! I think I gotta show my hubs this cruise for next year. Totally up our alley. Nerdcore! MC Frontalot, Wil Wheaton, board games like Pandemic, and drinking! Haha :D

Haha! I know, right?! I wouldn't mind going on this cruise with my Fiance. :D