10 Days of Sun on the Sun

Honeysquared

Where abouts does it say where you will be docked or if you will be at anchor? Thanks!

you have to go to "ports" on the top left. You city of destination should be on your ncl itinerary. Which islands and dates are you questioning and I can check for you ?

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Sun question - is there an outdoor deck on a lower level (like the promenade deck on RCCL) where you can sit and look out or is there just the track on 6, if not are there chairs on deck 6?

Thanks in advance.

Deck 12 aft is where the Great Outdoor Cafe is located and it's a wonderful spot to sit and watch the world go by. I do not remember seeing any chairs or shuffleboard on deck 6.

you have to go to "ports" on the top left. You city of destination should be on your ncl itinerary. Which islands and dates are you questioning and I can check for you ?

If you are still out there we will be in St.Thomas on March 13th and it now says docked on my documents but it doesn't say at which dock. Thanks again.

Just got off the Sun last week. The Great Outdoor Rest. is actually on deck 11 and it is a wonderful place to sit and relax (and EAT) haha...at the back of the ship. Deck 6 is the Promenade and you can see out the back and enjoy the wake, but there is absolutely NO seating whatsoever on this deck and I have no idea why! Really missing the boat here! No pun intended! The shuffleboard is up on the sports deck, deck 12, above the swimming pool area. There is only one shuffleboard.

Thanks for your review. We'll be on the Sun in May in Alaska. This will be our sixth NCL cruise and have yet to get to the Caribbean - maybe next year :) Anyway, we'll also be in a balcony cabin on the 8th floor and having only been in an inside cabin, we're quite looking forward to the balcony.

One question for you - are there full dividers between the individual balconies? It isn't like we're anti-social, but we'd like our balcony to be as private as possible. Thanks.

Just got off the Sun last week. The Great Outdoor Rest. is actually on deck 11 and it is a wonderful place to sit and relax (and EAT) haha...at the back of the ship. Deck 6 is the Promenade and you can see out the back and enjoy the wake, but there is absolutely NO seating whatsoever on this deck and I have no idea why! Really missing the boat here! No pun intended! The shuffleboard is up on the sports deck, deck 12, above the swimming pool area. There is only one shuffleboard.

Deck 11 right! Should have referred to the handy pocket guide. :). Every ship should have a public area in the aft IMO.

The Muster stations and lifeboats are on deck 6. It was so jammed pack with people during our NYE cruise that any furniture would really have been a hazard if people had to get to their muster station with limited lighting in a real emergency situation. Also unlike other ships that I have been on his track had both a walking side and a jogging side to it.

Thank you all so much for the information! Maybe it just means I need to save a little more and upgrade to a balcony :)

I actually think just the opposite on this ship.

At the front of the ship on deck 12 there is the Observation lounge. This is a wonderful place to curl up with a book, play cards, listen to live music or take a dance lesson with a view but no wind.

The Great Outdoor Cafe offers eating in the fresh outdoors with a view or a place to sit and watch the wake and sea go by from up on deck 11.

Deck 6 is a perfect place to walk or jog or stroll and get the baby to sleep.

Other than the theatre I think that this ship is really well laid out. One of the dining rooms is perfectly placed mid ship for those who have seasickness.

The ship is small and easy to get around and designed for all to enjoy the views from inside and out.:)

If you are still out there we will be in St.Thomas on March 13th and it now says docked on my documents but it doesn't say at which dock. Thanks again.

There are only two ships in port (one is us) so we will probbaly dock in Havensight :)

Karysa, I do love the Observation Lounge idea -- my favorite feature on the RCL is the Viking Lounge.

I have been looking at photos and the Great Outdoors area (not during a meal time) does seem like an idea location to read:)

I do also enjoy the main pool areas -- it is hard to tell from the photos I've seen, but are there loungers in the shady areas?

I am getting more excited everyday, too bad I still have 330 days to go!

There are only two ships in port (one is us) so we will probbaly dock in Havensight :)

There are a total of 7 on Wednesday March, 13th. There are docking spots for 6 and 1 will have to anchor. My documents say docked. I just have had no luck finding out just which dock. Can you help me out with this? Thanks!:)

Thanks for the great review! We have just booked a Alaskian cruise for summer of 2014 on the Sun. Can you tell me how deep is the pool on the Sun?

There are 2 on the pool deck, both about the same size. The adult only one is 7 feet all around I believe. The other one goes from 3 or 4 feet in the low end with the steps to 7 feet at the other end.

Thanks for your review. We'll be on the Sun in May in Alaska. This will be our sixth NCL cruise and have yet to get to the Caribbean - maybe next year :) Anyway, we'll also be in a balcony cabin on the 8th floor and having only been in an inside cabin, we're quite looking forward to the balcony.

One question for you - are there full dividers between the individual balconies? It isn't like we're anti-social, but we'd like our balcony to be as private as possible. Thanks.

Ours was. We were on Deck 8. From the floor to the ceiling of the balcony was covered and out to the railing. We are the same type, we are not anti social, but we get a balcony to relax and get away from everyone and be by ourselves. You shouldn't have an issue there! Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is quickly moving up the list of places to see next!

Karysa, I do love the Observation Lounge idea -- my favorite feature on the RCL is the Viking Lounge.

I have been looking at photos and the Great Outdoors area (not during a meal time) does seem like an idea location to read:)

I do also enjoy the main pool areas -- it is hard to tell from the photos I've seen, but are there loungers in the shady areas?

It would be a great place to read. We never had an issue finding a seat, and for the most part it is quiet. There is a bar there, just as an FYI, so it could get a little loud later on in the day, although most people did not sit there and drink all day. As far as I could tell anyway.

Ours was. We were on Deck 8. From the floor to the ceiling of the balcony was covered and out to the railing. We are the same type, we are not anti social, but we get a balcony to relax and get away from everyone and be by ourselves. You shouldn't have an issue there! Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is quickly moving up the list of places to see next!

Thanks - we're also on deck 8 - cabin 8262. We're very excited. I've been to Alaska, but only for a two-week Army field exercise and it was miserable. I'm sure this way to see Alaska will be much better :D

This is our sixth NCL cruise, but the first in a balcony. Should be incredible.

Thanks again for the info.

There are a total of 7 on Wednesday March, 13th. There are docking spots for 6 and 1 will have to anchor. My documents say docked. I just have had no luck finding out just which dock. Can you help me out with this? Thanks!:)

There is another area, about 5-10 minutes away called Crowne Bay (maybe Point) that 2 ships can dock at. We docked there instead of Havensight. There shouldn't be a need to tender there at all.

There is another area, about 5-10 minutes away called Crowne Bay (maybe Point) that 2 ships can dock at. We docked there instead of Havensight. There shouldn't be a need to tender there at all.

Havensight is on one side of Charlotte Amalie and Criwne Bay is on the other side. In January we docked at Havensight and went on a catamaran excursion to St. John. This time if we are docked at Havensight we will go to Saphire Beach and if we are docked at Crowne Bay we will take the ferry over to Water Island as we have never been there before. I think that I will just print the ferry schedule off in case we dock by Crowne Bay. Seven ships will make this a very busy day so avoiding the traffic in Charlotte Amalie is my plan.

I have read that there is docking space for a total of 6 ships so 1 ship will have to anchor. Does anyone know if this is the case in St. Thomas.

I am not the best one to tell you this as I am not a sitter. Shade or sun doesn't matter I just can't seem to do it. Nap in my room, no problem! :D. I saw some chairs in the shade on the pool deck and up on the balcony floor up above. I think that's deck 11 and 12 but don't have my handy ship layout card with me.

Just to clarify my previous post. Deck 6 was only packed during the muster drill and I do mean packed. It was a very full ship but really the muster drill was the only time that we felt crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

70]St. Thomas - we docked early and we went straight to Red Hook and caught the 9am to St. John. Went straight to Trunk Bay. Awesome place and not too crowded considering there were 6 ships in port. Had lunch at Woody's, shopped and caught the 2pm back. Very easy to do yourself.

Dominica - we tried to get on a tour to Trafalgar Falls and the beach, but it sold out. Taxi drivers outside of the gate were a little annoying, but very nice. Just say no thanks, and they thank you for coming to the island. We walked around the shops/tents - mostly junk. Had a few beers on the porch of a nearby hotel and that was about it.

Barbados - what a beautiful island with incredibly nice people. We did the Copacabana Beach Day. Beach was nice, got a free drink and a mini tour. If we were to go back, we would get our own taxi and go to the Boatyard. Much bigger and more to eat. Probably cost the same or a little less to do that.

St. Lucia - did the mud bath/catamaran ride. Awesome. Long tour (over 6 hours) but well worth it. You see a good part of the island, get good info and some unbelievable pictures. Mud baths are hot, but fun to do. Catamaran was cool too. One thing you have to try (we were told by a friend to do it), when we stopped to swim, locals (vendors as they like to call them) come up in kayaks. Get one to cut a coconut up for you and drink the water. It's amazing, nothing like you get here in bottles. We loved this island, maybe the best of them all.

St. Maarten - went to Phillipsburg on our own in the am. I find the taxi people to be very annoying. I appear to be the only one. Everyone loves this island. Downtown is clean, and if you like to shop, this is the place (I get bored in about 5 min, so I could care less). We had booked an afternoon beach bash to Orient beach. Nice little trip. Had 2 hours or so at the beach. And free rum punch. As much as you could handle. Waves were huge, and they were actually letting people back out ahead of time because of this. Nice beach and a good time.

Hi

Thanks for your review, there are 13 from the same family going on the sun from the UK on the 31st March. I to was unsettled by the many negative reviews of the sun and you have certainly put our minds at rest.

Can you suggest a good beach for Barbados, were having a beach day that day organised by ourselves?

Also, all the party except 1 are adults, but my youngest son is only 13, is it also a child friendly ship (teen friendly)??

Thanks

JerseyJo

Archived