waitlisted on Legend - any hope?

maunakealady

Hi everyone, we are new to Seabourn, and just attempted to book a 14 day cruise mid sept 2005 on the Legend. the cruise is completely sold out, and we are now 2nd in line on the priority waitlist. does anyone have experience with how likely it might be for us to get a cabin on this cruise? the 90 day cutoff will be mid-june, so we're hoping for some cancellations or shifting then. any thoughts or recommendations? thanks in advance! :)

Just keep checking with the Florida office. The wait list often clears as circumstances occur forcing people to alter their plans. You have a good chance of clearing it, and at least you'll know one way or the other when the penalty period kicks in.

Denyse

thanks for your reply. how often do you suggest I check in with the florida office through my travel agent to see if something becomes available? is this a better strategy than waiting for seabourn to contact me? :confused:

:confused:

You could check every few days, or weekly. Don't just wait for them to call you. Also, if you know your TA will be vigilant, then you don't need to call. YOu might actually get to know one of the reservationists on a first-name basis, and see if they will help you out. Good luck!

Denyse, thank you for the wonderful advice. I'll check in with them myself every couple of days. this is so helpful.

I'm really excited about this particular cruise; it covers the Italian Rivera in mid september. there's an identical itinerary on the Legend in late august, but I think that mid sept would have better weather. any thoughts on this?

thanks again! :)

Maunakealady,

As Denyse suggest keep checking. You would be surprised how many waitlist clear. Especially when you are so high up on the list. I wish you luck in getting the great Seabourn voyage you are looking for.

mcboo:) :) :)

:) McBoo, thanks for the encouragement!!

I love this itinerary (Legend, 14 days from sept 18th, 2005); monte carlo, calvi, portovenere, portoferrario, florence, portofino, golfo stella, rome, porto servo, cathage, palermo, sorrento, giannutri, nice, monte carlo. I'm hoping that the really hot weather will be over, but it will still be warm.

any thoughts on these ports at this time of year?

thanks!!! :) :)

I think the weather in August is great. September can actually start to turn a bit cool and windy, but you cannot know for sure, as it can be a bit unpredictable. Our favorite Captain on the seas, Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen, is onboard the Legend in August and off in September, and he is extraordinary. In any event, whichever sailing you take, it will be a wonderful cruise.

Denyse

Denyse, thanks for your posting...interesting information. this could open more possibilities for us.:) we'll explore earlier itineraries that may be available on the Legend. my previous impression was that august was to be avoided, due to unbearbale heat in Italy (and the possibility of kids on board). plus another poster commented that there are commonly windy conditions in the mediterranean in august that calm down in september? :confused:

any thoughts about this? you seem to be a very experienced Seabourn sailor and I appreciate your advice. my travel agent is not very helpful in this regard - his only comments are "you'll love it!!!", no matter which crusie line I discuss, and regardless of the itinerary. :(

We've done the same itinerary 3 times on Seabourn: once in August, once in September, and once at the end of September into early October. The first was the best weather; the second had some wind that caused us to change ports, and the last one actually had some rainy days.

Although some people will disagree, I have never found the few kids on Seabourn in August to be a problem. I don't have kids myself, so you would expect me to be less tolerant, but we have found the kids to be well behaved and in their teens. We''ve even been invited to a few kid birthday parties (my husband is considered "Uncle Fun" ). Alnd as one would expect, there is a greater diversity in the passenger age at that time.

I'd go with the weather, itinerary and dates that best suit you. And if you can sail in August, you will have the Captain of all Captains as your host!

Denyse

thanks, I'll check into earlier cruises on the Legend. I'm also wondering what effect the captain has on the cruise..obviously he/she does impact the experience, but I'd love to hear how. thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts. :)

All of the Captains on Seabourn are really excellent, I like each and every one of them. I think they are the best in the business, quite frankly. The reason so many of us single out Capt.Thue-Nilsen is that he is a big kid at heart, who is very engaged in the group activities with guests and crew. He participates in everything, and sets the tone for a fun voyage. Also, he is loved and admired by his crew, and is highly competent. Thus, he is always a treat to sail with.

Still, I would make your decision based on the itinerary, the time of year most convenient to you, and the other intangibles that might be important to you, such as weather. There is no such thing as a bad Seabourn cruise!

Denyse

I must admit that i never gave much thought about the Captains, having sailed with two on the Pride. Obviously most competent and very pleasant to speak with. But then, after two weeks with Captain T-N on the Legend and I am a convert!

It's the ambiance he sets and his outgoing friendliness. When we are ready to sail and he welcomes us back on board to 'your Seabourn Legend' it sets a wonderful tone and atmosphere.

Jane (So much so that I have booked his next two crossings!)

Yes Jane - once you have sailed on a crossing with Captain Thue-Nilsen - you won't want to do one with anyone else. We are booked on our 5th crossing with him - in November - and I know it will be special because he's the Captain! I will look forward to meeting you.

CeeJay (Carol)

wow. he sounds wonderful. thanks for the input, everyone. I will re-group with my travel agent tommorrow and try for availability on the Legend in August. :) :) :)

How did you get on?

We wanted to go on the Florence and Italian Yacht Havens in September but found it full - can't see this itinerary listed in August...

hi cruiserbunny. we're still priority waitlisted on the september cruise - but I'm having second thoughts about this cruise due to reports of cooler/iffy weather in late sept/early oct.

the same itinerary for august sounds lovely - but it's apparently been chartered.:(

now I'm considering booking the same itinerary in 2006 - maybe that's the best solution.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived