The whole 'upgrade' question

smithy62

Hi everyone,

Can some of you experienced cruisers advise on this question please. Having recently booked for Xmas 2013 direct with P&O as part of the process I was asked if we would like to be upgraded if available. I said yes imagining an upgrade can only be a good thing. However having read some things on this place it seems that's not strictly correct :confused:

We have 2 cabins, an inside on C and a balcony on B - not ideal in the first place but am now worried these may be altered to something completely different and even less suitable.....

Most grateul, as always, for your advice and opinions.

Sx

Hi Smithy62,

With upgrades, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!

From what I've read, upgrades are usually to the next category up, so there could be a possibility that the inside cabin is upgraded to an ocean view or obstructed OV, and your balcony on B deck to the deluxe balcony. Depending on what grade you have booked now, you could also go up a grade (or two), which would mean the same type of cabin (inside / balcony) but in a different part of the ship (which the cruise company consider an upgrade).

Although the cruise company consider these are upgrades, not all passengers would agree. You could end up with a cabin below the top deck, where you can hear the loungers being moved around in the early hours, or below the gym where the thump, thump, thump of the runners can be heard from early morning and all day, or over an area where there is a lot of noise from bands, or opposite a door that the stewards use a lot so you hear noise again early morning from them moving their carts etc (I can't think what this area is called). Some cabins near the lifts can hear the "ding" every time the lifts arrive and there is more likely to be noise from people getting off on that floor.

Passengers in cabins towards to front and the rear are more prone to feel the movement of the ship (so if you suffer from sea sickness it may be worse in these cabins), and we had one about 4 cabins from the back, and we really felt a strong vibration (even during the night), which we had never felt before when we've been midships. cabins right at the front may not have a useable balcony due to the wind.

I am not trying to put you off, but letting you know the sorts of issues that I have read about on these boards (on a number of cruise lines not just P&O), so that you can make an informed decision. If you decide to go for a possible upgrade, then I hope that it works out for you and you are happy with what you get. If you don't mind which cabin and where on the ship you are allocated, it may be worth the risk, but if you are unsure, I'd suggest you stick with what you have.

Hope this helps. Happy cruising.

PS. We are also doing xmas/new year 2013 - on Ventura!

HomelessBear,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! We were on C deck at Xmas just gone and had no problems at all, with anything, but because we wanted to try it first we are somewhat later with the booking for this year. Is it possible to refuse said upgrade if it were to happen and stick with what we have or by accepting at the beginning are we stuck unless/until I ring them and remove the option?

Is there ever a chance you get upgraded from inside to outside?

Think I shall phone them in the morning anyway based on your information!

Thank you so much x

On my first cruise on P&O on Ventura i had a gurantee inside cabin on B deck forward. I was upgraded to a inside on the same deck but midships. A week later i was upgraded again to a outside forward on E deck.

After reading on the forums about upgrades to better grade cabins that were next to engine exhaust uptakes etc etc i now always pre book my cabin in what i know will be a good location.

Hi Smithy62,

I'm glad you found my comments useful. I can only go on what I've read from others on these boards (mostly Princess rather than P&O), but I would think that they act in a similar way.

I've read that by the time you know you've been upgraded, they have already given your original cabin away, and so there is no chance of getting it back. If you don't like what they give you as the upgrade, it MAY be possible to go back into the "upgrade pool", or you could ask for a different cabin of the same grade that they have given you, but in a different location. I have read that Princess have done this in the past, but it was also for US passengers, and we in the UK tend to get treated differently, so it may not follow.

I have read where people have been upgraded from inside to outside so it's possible.

The other thing you might want to consider is that as this is a Christmas cruise, the demand for cabins is higher than on many other cruises (never been on an xmas cruise that wasn't full), and so the "upgraded" cabins you get may be the ones that many don't want anyway! I don't know if this is true, but my logic tells me it maybe.

Which ship were you on last xmas? If it was the Azura or Ventura, the C deck you were on have the bigger balconies (about twice the size of those on B and A decks). The A and B decks are also fully covered. I'm sorry if you already know this or its useless info for you, but thought it worth mentioning.

Let us know what you decide to do and I really hope it works out for you.

No, its decided based on what you've said that I will aim to keep the cabins allocated - they are not too bad despite not being the ideal - as in kids on different deck - however they are 21 and 17 so this may be a massive bonus:D

Both cabins are mid ship too and whilst didn't suffer on C deck mid ship had a slight wobble on the journey from Dominica to Barbados (made worse by coat hangers clattering with nothing hanging on them!) so am assuming I would not be immune!

It was Ventura - just 4 weeks ago! Seems like a lifetime, hence the immediate re-booking need to allay the depression.

Will call them in the morning and sort it out with luck!

Cheers:)x

I'm glad that you've made your decision. I also forgot to say that occasionally, some people don't even know their cabin number until they turn up at the pier, so that's a lot of worry time in my book!

As you say, you may appreciate having a bit of "space" between you and your "kids"!

We did Hawaii last xmas and yes, it does feel like a lifetime away!

Its great to have another cruise to look forward to.

I have to say I agree! The last two cruises we've been on with p and o we reserved our cabin numbers, this year we have booked a getaway fare on an unobatructed outside cabin. We seem to be the only people on our cruise who dont have a cabin number yet! I hate the suspense! I'd hate to be stuck by a lift but I guess this is the gamble you take! I think if you aren't worried then say yes to the upgrade, like the other said you could get really lucky but for peace of mind perhaps it's better to say no?

We were once upgraded from an inside to an outside obstructed view on Arcadia, a five-grade improvement.

As there is always more noise inside our cabin than out (someone snores...) I always pack and use earplugs so being close to a lift or whatever isn't a problem!

Carol x

Well I have done it changed to the no upgrade option. Very nice man(lovely voice!) at P&O agreed with me (well you lot!) and now we have the cabins as allocated. Both mid ship, one C deck inside - kids and one B deck mid ship balcony - us.

Feel quite releived:D

Who knows if we may have managed a really good upgrade on both but since all I want is to sleep, shower etc in the cabin am really not going to stress. (Earplugs also organised - balcony a sleeping option!).

Nice man has also place us on freedom dining waiting list on the basis we are 'not far from the top' and could be lucky. He also said to call them the week before payment is due to see about changing cabins to be nearer each other. As mentioned am undecided on this as not sure I want to know what time they come in, who is saying what, who said it first and whos to blame! - 21 and 17 - nothing changes.

Thanks! Sxxxxx:)

Thanks for letting us know what you decided. Yes you may have got a good upgrade but on the other hand, you may have got a rubbish one that you would consider a downgrade! So at least now you can relax, and look forward to your cruise.

I would also leave the grown up "kids" where they are.....its your holiday too!

Have a great time when you go and happy cruising.

We were upgraded from inside to balcony on Adonia last year. We were informed by our travel agent about a week before. The only downside was that our luggage labels were then incorrect so we had to print our own.

Brian

Archived