Disappointed Belize Traveller - Carnival

cruiseman34

I always believe if there is a specific destination you want to visit, plan a land vacation. There is a chance you might have missed Belize anyway because of weather. Yes i do think it is nice to plan a cruise based on port options, but one must accept that stuff happens beyond your control and you must really just enjoy the cruising aspect of the cruise vacation just as much as relying on visiting ports of call, you know, being on a ship, entertainment opportunities, spending time with family, pool time, playing games, reading, eating. That cruise is a lot of $ for 1 day in Belize, barely a day, even. I have friends who just came back from a land based vaca in Belize, they scuba dived and sailed and hiked, even when it rained and it was windy; they were there.

I understand your disappointment with Belize. Our ship will be in Belize next week and I was really looking forward to it until about 20 min ago when I checked my email. I booked a tour with Coral Breeze and they emailed me this morning to tell me that they didn't have enough people sign up for the tour so they canceled it. They are the only tour company that I could find that would take us to Caye Caulker which I have been dying to see since I first read reviews about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things happen and sometimes it's for the best. As long as you guys go and keep a positive attitude, you will have a blast no matter where you go or what you do. We have to start over again with our planning, but I know that we are going to have fun no matter what we do.

There is at least one water taxi company that provides scheduled service, but make sure you double check the schedule once you are there.

http://cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/schedule-departures/

Belize is fantastic! I disagree with anyone who thinks otherwise! Besides the awesome Cave Tubing, we have taken a short airplane ride over to Ambergris Caye and went snorkeing at Shark Ray Alley! (with sharks and stingrays!)We have taken the water taxi over to Caye Caulker and spent a wonderful day exploring the island on a golf cart, and went snorkeling at the split! We have snorkeled at the worlds second largest barrier reef, and zip lined in the jungle! That is just to name a few. There is so much to see and do in Belize. I would be upset too if my ship cancelled Belize! Buuuut, I also love Costa Maya! OP, you will enjoy Costa Maya, you really will! I do hope you get to Belize some day!

I think this thread is interesting in that it highlights the difference between tourists and travelers. Tourists are all about the conveniences and how a foreign location can be made to fit inside their world view. Anything different or weird or smelly is repugnant. To a traveler the more different someplace is from home, the better!

There's no such place as "Costa Maya". It's a cruise industry fabrication. But to some it's more appealing because it's safe and well regulated and not all that different from Applebys or the mall.

For me there's nothing like strolling down the street in Belize at night, turning the corner and finding yourself in the midst of a political rally, 2 sides jawing back and forth at one another. That's way more exciting than zip lining or cave tubing!

Archived