Carnival Miracle in May 2013

travelphyl

We are taking our first Alaska Cruise leaving May 28, 2013 aboard the Carnival Miracle. Anyone cruised Alaska in May? Anyone cruised this ship to Alaska? Anyone going in May this year? I have watching posts to try to decide on one excursion per stop, as they can be very expensive. Just have to prioritize and try to get the most "bang for our buck". If we aren't on a cruise that includes Glacier Bay in the itinerary, can we do it as an excursion from one of the ports? Thanks all!

Late May/early June is my favorite time to go to Alaska. Of the four times I've been there, we went on one 7 day cruise and one 14 day cruise, both in that time frame. Loved the long hours of daylight, the snow still on the mountaintops, and the land coming alive with green. We've been fortunate to have really good weather in that time frame, but of course, that is a crap shoot, you'll get what you get - just be prepared for rain and you'll be fine. Chances are you won't see bears in that time frame, although we did when we rented a car in Skagway, driving up the Klondike Highway, we saw several right along the side of the road eating dandelions! We've always had excellent luck with whale watches in that time frame as well, but again, the luck of the draw. You will have an amazing experience, prepare to be overwhelmed with the spectacular scenery and wildlife. Enjoy your trip!

As far as excursions, look over Carnival's list of excursions and pinpoint just what appeals to you and your group. Then, if you choose, we can all offer up some independent tour operators that might be able to give you a more personalized experience (fewer in the group) and may even cost less than the ship's tours. Plenty to do in port for little or no money - hiking, visiting free or inexpensive museums, walking thru the Totem Pole parks, renting a car and doing the port on your own - the sky is the limit from very inexpensive to quite pricey as you've recognized.

Hope you fall in love with Alaska like we have. Just a little over 4 months til we head back to the Great Land and it can't come soon enough!:D

My husband and I are booked on this cruise as well. I've got an idea of what to do in Juneau (hiking at Mendenhall Glacier) and in Ketchikan (lumberjack show), but I am still not sure what we will do in Skagway. Might just do the dog sled camp in the morning and then see what we can run across on our own for the rest of the day. I'd really like to ride the train through the Yukon, but I don't want to miss out on the dog sledding and I can't seem to find times that would allow both in the same day. Neither of us has ever been to Alaska before. I've never even been west of Texas and am a Florida native. I am so excited about this experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Late May is our favorite time to visit Alaska. We have taken the train/bus into the Yukon several times. If I should go again, I would take the longer train trip into Bennett. We did the Lumberjack show last year and also Totem Park. The stories of the totem poles is very interesting. It was a combo ticket and I do not think it was very expensive. We have always gone to Mendenhal Glacier, a couple of times with the whale watching. Alaska is such a wonderful place to visit.

Archived