Caribbean Treasures cruise

Hi

My Husband and I are cruising on this itinerary on March 17th followed by a weeks stay in Barbados.

I have read other itineraries for places to visit in the caribbean but can anyone give advice on this specific cruise please.

Thank you

Jetison

Caribbean cruises are all about the beaches, its very easy to pick up a tour dockside or taxi to the beach in all the ports

have a look at the ports of call boards on this site for your particular itinerary, lots of ideas there

quick rundown

st marteen, st kitts, good for shopping

antigua, aruba, barbados, best for beaches

dominica, st lucia, best for scenery, waterfalls, rain forest (no beaches on dominica)

st vincent, tortola, best for catamaran trips to outlying islands

hope this helps

Here are some old threads on this itinerary which may give you some ideas.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1622655&highlight=caribbean+treasures

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1616884&highlight=caribbean+treasures

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1616884&highlight=caribbean+treasures

If you are having a relaxing beachy type holiday in Barbados and want to do something a bit different during your cruise, you could do an excursion to Soper's hole and Pusser's Landing on Tortola or take the trip overr to Virgin Gorda.

On Antigua an excursion to Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard is interesting.

Dominica ia all about the lush island so perhaps and insland tour would be worth considering.

As gepmagot says, lots of taxis/tours available dockside.

We are doing a stay and cruise in February, st maarten, we do maho beach and watch the planes land but a tour round the island would be a good idea. We found taxis quite expensive due to the amount of American cruise ships in port. St kitts, the train tour is good value and a nice way to see the island. Antiqua, first time there I think you need to see the dockyard, a taxi driver will show you sights on the way then take you to a beach for an hour or two if you like. Dominica, there are lots of waterfalls to visit. Be careful when you first get off the ship though as there are lots of drivers waiting for your trade. The people keep these people back though so dont let it put you off. A wonder round the market is nice before you get back onboard. Weve been 3 times so are used to it. Tortolla, a beach is your best bet, cane garden is popular. Check out some websites and decide which you prefer. Im looking forward to the week in barbados also. Have fun

Thank you all for your replys.

As first time cruisers we didn't know where to start!

All of a sudden our holiday is getting closer and and as my Husband is working abroard at the moment and dosen't get back till 3 days before our holiday it's been left to me to sort things out!

But because of the information I've been given I now have some ideas what will suit us.

Thank you once again.

Jetison

Sorry forgot to add the only place I can't decide on is St Kitts, lots of people have recommended the Scenic Railway but I'm afraid of heights and looking at the pictures I've seen it's probably not for me! Any other suggestons? Was looking at the trip to Nevis, Frigate Bay or just staying local?

Thanks once again

Jetison

Sorry forgot to add the only place I can't decide on is St Kitts, lots of people have recommended the Scenic Railway but I'm afraid of heights and looking at the pictures I've seen it's probably not for me! Any other suggestons? Was looking at the trip to Nevis, Frigate Bay or just staying local?

Thanks once again

Jetison

There's nothing to worry about regarding the train in St Kitts - there are no mountains or heights to climb. It's a very sedate ride around the island. It's just like being on the upstairs of a double decker bus if you want to sit on the open-sided deck. You can sit on the lower level if you like but that is enclosed and everyone sits on top.

Last year we got a taxi to Frigate Bay and were disappointed by it - the sand wasn't great and it lacked atmosphere, beach furniture and the typical Caribbean beach look - at least the part we went to did. (We'd been two years earlier and not got that impression which is why we went back.) We're off this weekend and planning to go to S Friar's Beach. I'll let you know what we think of it when we get back which will be in good time before you go in case you still don't fancy the train.

We're off this weekend and planning to go to S Friar's Beach. I'll let you know what we think of it when we get back which will be in good time before you go in case you still don't fancy the train.

Hi Kruzseeka, we went to St Friar's Beach last year, the sand is not great by Caribbean standards, it is slightly better than Frigate Bay, not as good as Cockleshell Beach. The main reason we went to St Friar's was to see the wild monkeys. We were not disappointed, the staff at the Shipwreck bar put out scraps of food and the monkeys decend down from the high ground to feed by the bar. They were great fun and were not shy of humans. We took loads of pictures of the adults and a number of babies, which were very funny play fighting with each other. You can see them on Youtube by seaching for monkeys+St Kitts, the video shows them rolling around drunk after drinking the cocktails left unattended on the tables around the bar. I took an apple from the ship and got to feed them, I was sitting on one side of the table and the monkey on the other side across the table, taking the slice of apple placed in the centre of the table :D I was asked by the bar staff not to feed them because it can encourage them to come too close and to lose fear of people, which I could understand. :(

Hi Kruzseeka, we went to St Friar's Beach last year, the sand is not great by Caribbean standards, it is slightly better than Frigate Bay, not as good as Cockleshell Beach. The main reason we went to St Friar's was to see the wild monkeys. We were not disappointed, the staff at the Shipwreck bar put out scraps of food and the monkeys decend down from the high ground to feed by the bar. They were great fun and were not shy of humans. We took loads of pictures of the adults and a number of babies, which were very funny play fighting with each other. You can see them on Youtube by seaching for monkeys+St Kitts, the video shows them rolling around drunk after drinking the cocktails left unattended on the tables around the bar. I took an apple from the ship and got to feed them, I was sitting on one side of the table and the monkey on the other side across the table, taking the slice of apple placed in the centre of the table :D I was asked by the bar staff not to feed them because it can encourage them to come too close and to lose fear of people, which I could understand.

Thanks very much for that additional information hammers. :) We'll take that on board (excuse the pun!) and perhaps make a decision dockside when we see what tours/taxi transfers are available and at what cost. I had got the impression that Cockleshell was the preferred beach but thought because of the distance we'd try the nearer one (S Friar's) but as we're not too bothered about the monkeys and would rather go for beach quality I'm favouring Cockleshell now.

Gosh we're off in 6 hours and I'm still changing my mind about our planned excursions! :eek::D I like to do research on ports before we go - thanks to all the CCers who help with that - but we go with a flexible mind set and also seek info and advice from other passengers so still end up making spontaneous decisions too. We are on holiday so no stress - I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves!

But thanks very much again for the background to S Friar's - will show my DH your post so we can take that into account. I'll report back when we return and let you know what we decided in the end. :confused::D

Thanks very much for that additional information hammers. :) We'll take that on board (excuse the pun!) and perhaps make a decision dockside when we see what tours/taxi transfers are available and at what cost. I had got the impression that Cockleshell was the preferred beach but thought because of the distance we'd try the nearer one (S Friar's) but as we're not too bothered about the monkeys and would rather go for beach quality I'm favouring Cockleshell now.

Gosh we're off in 6 hours and I'm still changing my mind about our planned excursions! :eek::D I like to do research on ports before we go - thanks to all the CCers who help with that - but we go with a flexible mind set and also seek info and advice from other passengers so still end up making spontaneous decisions too. We are on holiday so no stress - I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves!

But thanks very much again for the background to S Friar's - will show my DH your post so we can take that into account. I'll report back when we return and let you know what we decided in the end. :confused::D

Are you staying at Gatwick overnight? Once again, have a wonderful time.:)

Have a wonderful time. Everyone will be waiting for your return (except yourselves) to read your excellent and interesting reviews. Ps should you still be on here? Hope you are all packed and ready to go! :)

Yes - daren't risk leaving it to the last minute especially given the weather at this time of year :eek: - got to check in just after 06.00.

Thanks Linda - intend to consumer-trial your tea/coffee making facilities. :D I'll report back! ;)

Have a wonderful time. Everyone will be waiting for your return (except yourselves) to read your excellent and interesting reviews. Ps should you still be on here? Hope you are all packed and ready to go! :)

:D:D Yes .........all ready - at least I think so but not leaving until this afternoon. It's good being able to take your time before you leave but must confess to feeling uneasy wondering what I've forgotten. Once you go - that's it!

Sorry Linda, just realised you are off before we get back - for some reason I thought your trip was still a few weeks away! (Perhaps getting mixed up with Dave's departure.)

Hope you have a fantastic time too and as ever I'll be very interested to hear your views when you get back. (Not that either of us are wishing our holidays away!;)) Enjoy! :D

I am off to Gatwick in the morning too. Just one more sleep, well not a whole nights sleep. Son-in-law taking us to Gatwick leaving about 5am.

Kruseeka I believe there's someone else on the forum going too?

Sounds like we are on the same flight. Still got to pack my cases....don't know why I leave until the last minute.

Soooo excited now!

Lorraine

Archived