Regatta for Cape Horn crossing - how safe? and comfortable

rodjung

We just booked the 2/3/14 sailing of the Regatta from Lima to Buenos Aires. My question is to what extent could a ship of this relatively small size be tossed about in the event of stormy conditions crossing Cape Horn?

We've sailed Oceania before. We had an inside cabin on a Med. cruise aboard the Insignia -- very comfortable, no problems there.

Because inside cabins and most of the oceanviews were already sold out, the best I could get on the Regatta, without going even further over budget, was a category C-2 oceanview at the front of Deck 4. It's listed as "amidship," I guess because there's a bit more ship area forward of that cabin area. Since I was paying extra for the view I chose one (#4002) of the only two port-side cabins still available in that category.

I've never been seasick on a cruise ship, but I have experienced it on a 60-foot sailing vessel -- and it's not what you want to do for fun on a vacation!

The REGATTA is certainly big enough to handle the passage. As to how it will do when you are there, there is simply no way to know. How the seas will affect a given ship is extremely complicated: speed of the ship, height of the seas, frequency of the waves (in the various wave trains), waterline length of the ship, etc., etc., etc.

The seas could be reasonably calm when you are there. The seas could be choppy and not affect the ship. The seas could be somewhat small but have a big impact on the ship based on the factors above. The seas could be high but the exact effect is still complicated.

Wish there were an answer. You will likely be fine.

We sailed the Insignia last year and the worst waves were down the Chilean coast. Some people were affected by it and as long as they used the pills or used a bracelet, they seemed to be okay. It didn't bother me but I am used to rough crossings on our ferries which are definitely worse than what you would suffer from with the Regatta.

Regatta and Insignia are virtually identical, so if you enjoyed your Insignia cruise, it will behave the same way on Regatta.

We went around Cape Horn on Insignia. It was like a pond -- so smooth is was almost boring. We experienced very rough seas getting to Ushuaia from the Falkland Islands (the day after Christmas). If the seas around the Horn are dangerous, I believe they have the option to travel to the same place in the Beagle Channel.

The actual location of Cape Horn is a small island; the primnary reason to sail past it is to say you have ;).

z_ar_map-Cape%20Horn.jpg

Regatta and Insignia are virtually identical, so if you enjoyed your Insignia cruise, it will behave the same way on Regatta.

We went around Cape Horn on Insignia. It was like a pond -- so smooth is was almost boring. We experienced very rough seas getting to Ushuaia from the Falkland Islands (the day after Christmas). If the seas around the Horn are dangerous, I believe they have the option to travel to the same place in the Beagle Channel.

The actual location of Cape Horn is a small island; the primnary reason to sail past it is to say you have ;).

z_ar_map-Cape%20Horn.jpg

Just back from a similar itinerary on Marina - Rio via Ushuaia to Valparaiso. We did not go around the Horn. We used the Magdalena and Beagle Channels.

It was relatively rough on the Atlantic the day before Ushuaia. I was fine, perhaps due to SeaBands on my wrists. Or it just wasn't that bad! The wine waiters were having a little trouble though!

Archived