Looking for advice...on cruising with a baby

SLCMRF03

Hello...I'm looking for some advice. I have cruised before....but now have a baby (she'll just be one when we are looking at going)....and are wondering how others have found cruising with such a young child? We are looking at going to Europe...and I know from previous european cruises they are "go-go-go"...anyone else manage this itinerary with such a youngster...if so..any advice? ie...how did you manage naps...etc while sightseeing all day..etc..What about shore excursions....we need to have our car seat..but I'm assuming buses..or the vehicles used won't accommodate a car seat? Any advice would be sooo soo appreciated! Thanks! :)

My kids were older, but we arranged private excursions (shared with others from our roll call or on our own) and taxis and used car seats on all of them with no problem. The other benefit of private excursions - I didn't have to worry that my kids might bother other passengers who were also on a trip of a lifetime and we could go at our own pace - staying longer if were were having fun or leaving a place if it wasn't working out. We were in port all day, but went easy on museums and instead did a lot of parks, areas that were good for walking, exploring, climbing, and brought lots of snacks and drinks. At that age, ports were easy with a stroller along - at least for me. Mine napped, snacked, etc in the stroller and we just kept going. One nice thing at that age is you don't have to deal with finding bathrooms quickly the way you do once they're potty trained.

Best,

Mia

I wouldn't even consider it at that age. Europe is for most people a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If you live in Europe than it would be ok but if you are coming from the US- there is no way you can fly with a one year old on your lap for 8-9 hours. It's just not possible. So now you are into a seat for baby to the tune of 800+ dollars.

My experience with children this age is that they are mobile and will not be happy sitting for long periods of time. They aren't verbal so tend to cry more when frustrated. Their ears are very sensitive. Even my 12 year old was in tears on our last European flight (two weeks ago) because his sinuses hurt so bad on the plane when we were making our decent. At least you can console and explain to a 12 year old that it won't last long. A baby- no way to help them with this.

On the cruise- you are going to have to take excursions (either cruise line or private) to go to most of the sites that interest tourists. Barcelona, Venice, Naples, Dubrovnik, Santorini are the best ports to amble around without need of long excursions.

I've been to Europe several times with my son but he was 5 the first time we cruised there. I wouldn't go with a child younger than 3 or 4.

It can be done but I wouldn't want to with a baby.

Well I hope we can be some help. We sailed last year with our 8 month old we did have a good time however it is a lot of work. We flew from vancouver to Fort Lauderdale and found it a difficult flight for the little man got restless even though we had two flights that broke up the fly time. We sailed on carnival and put the little one in day care at night at ten pm so we could have some adult fun. We did take one excursion threw the cruise line and it did go well on a bus tour no car seat needed on that tour we held him. To be honest I think we would have waited till he was 2 so he could be in the kids club we think he would have had more fun.

Now we have been to Europe and it was a great trip but a very long flight. We did a ten day cruise and we got to Barcelona 2days early to rest up before our cruise. The cruise was go go as you want to see everything in such a short time. Parent to parent I would not suggest taking someone so young as I don't think you will get everything out of europe you would like to see.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

I personally think the toughest part about the trip would be the long flight. Lucky for you most of the flights are over-night and you can leave after bedtime. I personally would look into a back-pack carrier. Something that will leave your hands free but be able to tote your child. Europe isn't really stroller friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived