Re: Yet another "Beach" Question . . . questions actually

firefighterjake

Did the tour with Thenford Grey the last time we were here . . . and loved it.

Probably doing a beach day this time around. My wife and I are pretty easy . . . we're perfectly happy to just hang out on the beach, swim a bit, etc. without a need for food, music, vendors, etc.

With that in mind . . . would we be happier with South Friars (near the Shipwreck Bar) or Cockleshell Beach?

Also looking for a rough estimate on the taxi ride out to these two beaches.

Final thought . . . I don't see too much written about Turtle Beach or Banana Bay . . . anyone know why?

would we be happier with South Friars (near the Shipwreck Bar) or Cockleshell Beach?

Also looking for a rough estimate on the taxi ride out to these two beaches.

I caught a ride from South Friars back to Basse-Terre for 10 bucks. I was walking and the driver just picked me up, so I have no idea if I got a good or bad deal.

I had lunch at the Carambola. At the time I was more interested in food than the beach, but it looked as if there were plenty of amenities.

Didn't visit Cockleshell.

We were just on St Kitt's a little over a week ago. I felt we had the best of all worlds with an independent 'tour' we put together with our driver. After leaving the dock you will enter a main square where you are pitched taxi rides........there is a tall fellow named "Lyndon" (yes, he was named after Lyndon Johnson!). We had 4 people in our party and one negotiated with another driver while I talked to Lyndon. The decision was to go with the 'other' guy until he tried to give us away to yet a different driver.....NO WAY! I grabbed Lyndon and away we went......He drove us through town and gave us the history of buildings, parks, slavery, etc., then took us to Romney Manor where he gave us a personal tour through the old distillery while we watched other taxi's drive up to the actual plantation of Romney Manor. After time at the distillery we went up to the Manor through Caribelle batik and then left to go to Friar's Beach. This included the obligatory stop to see both oceans from the viewpoint. We had a few hours (our decision for the time) before he came to pick us up and return us to the ship. He charged $20 pp for the four of us and we all felt his knowledge and personalized tour was great! Also, watch for the egret's hatchery on the side of the road. Plus, he had a nice new van with good air conditioning. We gladly gave him a tip as this was a delightful way to spend a day on St Kitt's--and he was obviously a great tour guide and taxi driver! :)

Archived