Permission to Board on 2nd Port

NW Pacific

NCL has a form for this, our TA applied for us today. We are planning a PC cruise in Sept. on the Jewell. The Jewell will be repositioning from Alaska, leaving Vancouver BC to LA, with a stop in Astoria, OR (where we are) thought it would be so convenient to get onboard here instead of flying to LA. Has anyone else asked for this, we would need to change rooms since the PC room is not available on the 6 night from

Vanc, but do not see this as a problem, have heard others say, bags can be moved to new room on transition day.

Have no idea if this will be approved, there have been other Ships stopping here taking on passengers but not NCL. (this would not violate the Jones Act as we will not be disemabarking until after we visit several foreign ports)

Anyone have this experience or a similiar one??

:mad:

If you are boarding in one US port and deboarding in a different US port it would not be allowed, unless the ship visits a DISTANT foreign port (which it would not do on a pacific coast cruise).

But if they are staying on for the PC cruise there is no legal issue since it does visit DISTANT foreign ports. I do expect the first answer to be no since very few in reservations really understand the rules. The TA will have to push to get the booking done.

If you are boarding in one US port and deboarding in a different US port it would not be allowed, unless the ship visits a DISTANT foreign port (which it would not do on a pacific coast cruise).

The OP is talking about a Panama Canal cruise not Pacific coast. They want to board on the second stop of the cruise prior to the PC cruise, which sails from Vancouver to LA.

Technically this will be legal, but I too see it talking several calls to get sorted. :(

We did the Pacific coastal from Vancouver in 2011. Just to be a bit of a fly in the ointment here you should know that we did not make port in Astoria on that voyage due to poor weather and very high winds. Something to consider if you're banking on that port for boarding.

Well aware of that anomality, we here were amazed at that early storm. If we get permission, I will have back up plan to get to to LA for sailing on the Panama Canal portion, Columbia Bar is one of the worst to get over in a storm. Will have 4 days to get there if this should happen again, hopefully not.

anyway, I was trying to find someone that had experienced boarding other than the original Port, what the experience was. Security, setting up account, picture for card, etc. Know there must be a procedure in place as unfortuntaely some passengers miss the first designated Port due to delays in flights, etc and have read they can join the Ship at the next Port. Just curious how this all plays out.

Last year Holland Ship Line did board passengers in Astoria for a Panama Canal Cruise, so I think it is doable. This year unknown cruise line is disembarking passengers here from an Alaska Cruise, just saw the ad outside the local travel agency.

Will report back in case anyone is interested when I get an answer.

Archived