best place to book thomson cruise ?

They don't give discount after your first booking.:( Needless to say we said "Baaaah" and took our custom elsewhere. We have found in recent years we don't need the "services" of a ta as we seem to know more than they do and reading some of the things that people on here have been told by them makes me shudder.:eek::)

Hi skioncruises, sorry but they def do!

You must have misunderstood them I think.

Had seen that on here before ( possibly your post , saying they won't give discount on repeat business ) I thought it very odd and I even questioned it with them, they were very shocked anyone there would ever have told you that .

They confirmed they definitely give discount on each new booking you do with them, it would be daft not to if you don't mind me saying, why would anyone turn away business? ??

Was it a holiday you amended where you expected discount again? If that was the case and they had discounted when originally booked then they could not discount again when a change was made.

Would not want anyone to miss out on getting a good deal by not ringing them for a second booking. :(

As an agent you strive for repeat business and you look after repeat customers.

They do discount on each and every booking although of course you may need to ask for the discount, no one usually offers it, not the full amount anyway . I got a very good discount from them and they have promised the same next time! !! :):)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Dreamgirl1957

Had seen that on here before ( possibly your post , saying they won't give discount on repeat business ) I thought it very odd and I even questioned it with them, they were very shocked anyone there would ever gave told you that .

They confirmed they definitely give discount on each new booking you do with them, it would be daft not to if you don't mind me saying, why would anyone turn away business? ??

Was it a holiday you amended where you expected discount again? If that was the case and they had discounted when originally booked then they could not discount again when a change was made.

Would not want anyone to miss out on getting a good deal by not ringing them for a second booking. :(

They do discount on each and every booking although of course you may need to ask for the discount, no one usually offers it, not the full amount anyway . I got a very good discount from them and they have promised the same next time! !! :):)

Hi again skioncruses,

Sorry forgot to say in addition you said you do not need the services of a ta as you know more than them..........

Fair enough but I got a further £95 off the internet price by using B..... d

I priced on the net, ( Thomson site, ) shopped round several agents, they offered best disc after i had pushed fir a little more. Also got few other additional benefits.

As an ex ta I def know I got it cheapest I could have. Just by booking on the net you are not getting the best deal . The agents have an amount to play with to either match the net or beat it . ( Of course they can only go so far, still need a profit to survive! !)

All agents earn diff amounts of commission from Thomson depending on the deal they have with them.

You have to find the agent with more to play with for the best deal, doesnt matter if you feel you know more than them, you poss do.

When you look at all the different destinations around the world, different cruise comps they can't know everything and I agree most are not the best when it comes to Thomson cruises but they often offer other perks too .

Had seen that on here before ( possibly your post , saying they won't give discount on repeat business ) I thought it very odd and I even questioned it with them, they were very shocked anyone there would ever gave told you that .

That's interesting to know, Dreamgirl. Thanks for that :)

Hi Dreamgirl1957

Sorry to say, I may be getting on in years, but have been holidaying and cruising for a long time and I certainly did not misunderstand. They definitely did refuse to give me a discount on our second time of booking.

When using TAs in the past, because holidays were allocated and not open for change, I had to know exactly what we wanted/when/where and price with no deviations or extras.

The first time we used them we were extremely pleased with their price as it was not a normal booking but a one-off holiday and felt we would like the security of a TA. A couple of years later the chance of another one-off holiday came up and we contacted them again. I had done my homework beforehand and, as usual, knew roughly what the figure would be before any discount.

The price they offered was way way over the top and when I queried it and asked what their discount was (for comparison against my figures) I was told they did not give discount to repeat customers. Yes, I was gobsmacked as I had never come across this practice in the past with other TAs. We declined their offer, which, we thought was extortionate and decided not to take the holiday with another TA but just remember the first one we had done as our memories were too good to be repeated and compared.

As I said previously, I normally book my own after doing my homework so know what to expect.:)

ps: Just seen your second post. I book holidays on the itinerary and price that suits us and do not deviate. Nor do I keep going back and forth to see whether it has gone up or down. Neither do I discuss what I paid as I was brought up not to discuss money as it was rude. Don't take offence - it's just the generation I was raised in.:)

Edited by skioncruises

Hi Dreamgirl1957

Sorry to say, I may be getting on in years, but have been holidaying and cruising for a long time and I certainly did not misunderstand. They definitely did refuse to give me a discount on our second time of booking.

When using TAs in the past, because holidays were allocated and not open for change, I had to know exactly what we wanted/when/where and price with no deviations or extras.

The first time we used them we were extremely pleased with their price as it was not a normal booking but a one-off holiday and felt we would like the security of a TA. A couple of years later the chance of another one-off holiday came up and we contacted them again. I had done my homework beforehand and, as usual, knew roughly what the figure would be before any discount.

The price they offered was way way over the top and when I queried it and asked what their discount was (for comparison against my figures) I was told they did not give discount to repeat customers. Yes, I was gobsmacked as I had never come across this practice in the past with other TAs. We declined their offer, which, we thought was extortionate and decided not to take the holiday with another TA but just remember the first one we had done as our memories were too good to be repeated and compared.

As I said previously, I normally book my own after doing my homework so know what to expect.:)

ps: Just seen your second post. I book holidays on the itinerary and price that suits us and do not deviate. Nor do I keep going back and forth to see whether it has gone up or down. Neither do I discuss what I paid as I was brought up not to discuss money as it was rude. Don't take offence - it's just the generation I was raised in.:)

Hi, sorry didn't mean to upset you :eek:

Just all seems odd as they were most definite that they would never say that under normal circumstances and they have already asked about my next booking and offered same amount of discount etc to try and get me back .

I wouldn't ask you what you had paid for your holiday so dont really understand that comment and I meant I shopped around after pricing the holiday on the net before buying at the best price, not quite sure what you meant about going back and forth to see if price had gone up and down as I got several quotes on the day I priced it and then just booked the same day with the company who gave the best discount.

Perhaps my background in the travel business makes me search that bit harder as I know a bit more inside info :D

You didn't offend me at all don't worry I just like a bit of friendly debate and I hope I didn't offend you as would hate to think that .

Hi Dreamgirl1957

You didn't offend me.:) Sorry if I came across like that. I was trying to keep my story concise without rambling on. I was really surprised at the response I got re no discount as had never had problems from other TAs. The figure they gave me was as if they had added the discount on instead of taking it off.:eek:

I wasn't having a go at you personally about price, it is just that there are people on various forums who want to know exactly what "Joe Bloggs" paid down to the last halfpenny and at times that just gets me. My thought is always what does it matter? Everybody has their own budget and what "extras/freebies" they can get, me - I just want a decent price for me with no add-ons (don't think they are worth it - nothing is for free). Maybe it's the canny Scot in me.;)

I usually just go with the internet price after watching for a period of time (that's what I meant by back and forth) before phoning to book. Can't be bothered with the TAs we have in our area because over the years I have become more and more disillusioned with the information and rubbish they spout. Hence doing my homework down to the last full stop before booking.

We have three cruises booked for the next 15 months and all prices were acceptable after my figures matched my booker before being given their discount, that's why I haven't checked to see if they have gone up or down.:D

Hope this clarifies the situation a wee bit better.:)

Hi Dreamgirl1957

You didn't offend me.:) Sorry if I came across like that. I was trying to keep my story concise without rambling on. I was really surprised at the response I got re no discount as had never had problems from other TAs. The figure they gave me was as if they had added the discount on instead of taking it off.:eek:

I wasn't having a go at you personally about price, it is just that there are people on various forums who want to know exactly what "Joe Bloggs" paid down to the last halfpenny and at times that just gets me. My thought is always what does it matter? Everybody has their own budget and what "extras/freebies" they can get, me - I just want a decent price for me with no add-ons (don't think they are worth it - nothing is for free). Maybe it's the canny Scot in me.

I usually just go with the internet price after watching for a period of time (that's what I meant by back and forth) before phoning to book. Can't be bothered with the TAs we have in our area because over the years I have become more and more disillusioned with the information and rubbish they spout. Hence doing my homework down to the last full stop before booking.

We have three cruises booked for the next 15 months and all prices were acceptable after my figures matched my booker before being given their discount, that's why I haven't checked to see if they have gone up or down.:D

Hope this clarifies the situation a wee bit better.:)

Hi again!

Ah yes of course I see what you mean now .

Even having worked as a travel agent I have to agree with you to some degree as lots really do know very little about cruises at all but especially Thomson's. Some are great though it's just finding them that's the problem.

They are handy to get extra disc on top of the web disc though on Thomsons ( also Rci, Fred O, Msc, Celebrity etc ) as they can usually beat the web price by a bit as I said before and some beat it by more than others as they are all on diff commision structurs from Thomson, daft as it sounds its often not a Thomson shop that can do the best deal and also the co-op give disc and " divvy" points on top of the discount which are usually worth £50 plus on a cruise booking ......

The ones you will not be able to get discount on since the rules changed approx two years ago are P&O, Princess and Cunard as all agents only now earn five percent commission on them so just can't discount and also it's not really allowed.

Like you say as long as your happy that's the main thing and I'm just like you I like a good deal, perhaps I should be Scottish! :):)

Hi Dreamgirl1957

It depends on where you live - there are some places in the country where we accept "Honorary Scots";)

Strangely enough, although having cruised for almost 25 years, we keep coming back to Thomson, even with all their little niggles. Don't fancy the big ships that we've seen, nor some of the types who cruise on them after reading some of their forums.:eek: Have actually stopped and just stick to Thomson and Island Escape. Sad or what?:eek:

Will just look forward to what we have booked. Just a shame the first one is not until June. Normally we toddle off in April but nothing jumped out so - hey ho patience is a wonderful thing.:D:)

Hi Dreamgirl1957

It depends on where you live - there are some places in the country where we accept "Honorary Scots";)

Strangely enough, although having cruised for almost 25 years, we keep coming back to Thomson, even with all their little niggles. Don't fancy the big ships that we've seen, nor some of the types who cruise on them after reading some of their forums.:eek: Have actually stopped and just stick to Thomson and Island Escape. Sad or what?:eek:

Will just look forward to what we have booked. Just a shame the first one is not until June. Normally we toddle off in April but nothing jumped out so - hey ho patience is a wonderful thing.

Hi again ;) , im a Lincolnshire yellow belly so a bit too far south to be honorary Scott, what a shame :(

Your not sad at all. We love Thomson too, they just have such a good all round product, and although we have tried the big new ships we prefer the smaller "proper"ship's .

We can only afford one a year but know we are lucky to have such fab holidays.

Not tried the Escape yet, it's such a good price I wish it did east med as thats what we fancy next year, will def try it in the future though :)

Hi again ;) a bit too far south to be honorary Scott, what a shame :(

me too....would love to be an honorary scot:cool:....but I'm even further south...deep in the sticks of the west county, so, don’t thinks I will qualify….however, we have been known to accept honorary yokels......but only during glastonbury weekend;):)

me too....would love to be an honorary scot:cool:....but I'm even further south...deep in the sticks of the west county, so, don’t thinks I will qualify….however, we have been known to accept honorary yokels......but only during glastonbury weekend;):)

Ooooooooh aaaaaaar, we are certainly yokels here in Lincolnshire.

Its the home of the tractor ( which incidentally my husband drives for a living ) ;);)

Hi again ;) , im a Lincolnshire yellow belly so a bit too far south to be honorary Scott, what a shame :(

Your not sad at all. We love Thomson too, they just have such a good all round product, and although we have tried the big new ships we prefer the smaller "proper"ship's .

We can only afford one a year but know we are lucky to have such fab holidays.

Not tried the Escape yet, it's such a good price I wish it did east med as thats what we fancy next year, will def try it in the future though :)

hi Vicki and all, coming in a bit late on this. But if you've done several cruises do not bother with Island Escape. She is fine as a starter ship for 1st time cruisers. And Ross Roberts the C. D. is great. But unless you are into totally informal cruising I would not go on her. We were on her for our 1st and 3rd cruise and the boys loved her. But we have outgrown her and moved on.

Berwyn

hi Vicki and all, coming in a bit late on this. But if you've done several cruises do not bother with Island Escape. She is fine as a starter ship for 1st time cruisers. And Ross Roberts the C. D. is great. But unless you are into totally informal cruising I would not go on her. We were on her for our 1st and 3rd cruise and the boys loved her. But we have outgrown her and moved on.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, was wondering why it was such a bargain, some dates you can get two weeks on IE for same as one week cruise and one week stay on the Dream.

Never mind I never get a bargain lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks Berwyn, was wondering why it was such a bargain, some dates you can get two weeks on IE for same as one week cruise and one week stay on the Dream.

Never mind I never get a bargain lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing so much wrong with her Vicki than the others, apart from the the informal bit. She was the largest ship of the Thomson fleet until Dream came along in 2010. She just needs a bloody good upgrade. Please excuse the language. We have had 2 good cruises on her.

Berwyn

Nothing so much wrong with her Vicki than the others, apart from the the informal bit. She was the largest ship of the Thomson fleet until Dream came along in 2010. She just needs a bloody good upgrade. Please excuse the language. We have had 2 good cruises on her.

Berwyn

Haha I don't mind the language being as its you Berwyn ;);)

• 3 years later...

Hi All. I am a newbie here and looking to book a first cruise. At the stage of confusion between all the possibilities. We are based in Ireland and I was looking at Thomson. Does each itinerary leave from a different UK airport? I find that part confusing. So if you live in Manchester, for example and are booking a certain itinerary you may need to travel to Bristol or Newcastle for your flight to port? We are looking at a 7 day cruise on the Med.

Waterlegs would you not fly from Ireland ??? We live Dublin and book with thomsons shops as we can't book online for Irish airports . Just booked discovery 2 for next year looked on line flying from Belfast and it was working out around €600 dearer flying from Dublin with exchange rates took into account went into TA in Dublin questioned it and after a few phone calls by TA managed to get free cabin upgrade and €200 off [emoji2][emoji41]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We would definitely fly from Ireland if possible. Could you tell me which travel agents handle Thomson cruises? I haven't managed to get a quote yet. Have only seen them on the thomson website. Did you fly independantly of thomson direct to port or are ytou saying you flew from Belfast in the end with them? We wouldn't mind travelling to Belfast if we could fly direct to port from there.

Flying from Dublin , hubby wouldn't drive up to Belfast as we only live 15 mins away from Dublin airport !! Any TA should have brochures for thomsons cruises last 2 we booked at a local TA but we went to a falcon travel shop which come under the TUI brand to book this one . Not sure where you're based but if you google falcon travel shops you'll find one near you , one we used was in Omni shopping centre . Booked package here's snap shot of brochure and flights eb8b34eb51f392025e3b392bdbad10e9.jpg91ff4fa9b3e79a095e32d714721174f7.jpg

Edited by judo family