Our week in Bermuda - just got back

wolfpack

Hey Guys,

Thought I would give you some info on our trip. The Horizon had wonderful service. This was my 4th cruise and I was impressed. Our cabin got upgraded, as the ship was 400 shy of being full. so that was a nice surprise. Even with the change, our luggage was redirected and shore excursion tickets were already on the bed!

Bring cash. I was surprised that even buying the bus/ferry 3-day pass on the ship required cash. Everyone is right, the busses and ferries are fabulous, so easy to use.

Monday when we got to St George, we walked the town in the morning - absolutely charming, beautiful marina - looks like a postcard. We went back to the ship for lunch and walked to Tobacco Bay which was crowded, so we kept walking and swam at St Catherine's which is also gorgeous. The water is still cool - around 72 degrees.

Tuesday we docked at Hamilton and we jumped on the bus to the zoo. The zoo is very small and the most impressive things about it are the beautiful views of the ocean. Then on the way back to the ship, we took the bus and stopped at the caves. We met some folks from our ship who recommended ony paying to see 1 of the caves, and they suggested "Fantasy" over "Crystal". It was worth it. The caves are warm - no need for jackets.

Then we took the bus back to the ship for lunch. Then we went to Hoeseshoe Bay, which was also lovely. I LOVE how soft the sand is in Bermuda - feels so good, not at all like the beaches on the east coast of the USA. :) We saw 2 Portuguese Man-o-wars, which was "scary". :eek: They after a little while it started to rain, so we wnet back to the ship.

Wednesday we took the ferry, which is 2 blocks from the ship, to the Dockyards. We caught the 9am ferry and it was a 20 minute trip - just beautiful across the bay. After spending a few hours there, we headed back on a bus and got lunck on the ship. Then we took the bike tour. This was really neat. It was great fun and was booked through Fantasea.:p The guides were adorable. We took a boat to get the bikes and then rode through beautiful areas.

Thursday morning we took the 2 hour Wildcat ride, that someone recommended on this message board, and they were right. What a fantastic ride,:D and if you want to see the entire coastline of Bermuda - do this. It is remarkable how you can pick out the beaches and other sites. Once again, this tour only took cash. You can pick up this boat right near the cruise ship.

I feel that we saw everything we planned. On the last night on the ship, the comedy show was terrific. I had not seen Lewis Johnson before, and he was terrific. However, the musical shows on board were very weak compared to other ones I have seen on other ships. The band, though, Illusions, was excellent. I hope this information has been helpful. Any questions?

I can't believe the trip is over and I am home. Bermuda is lovely, safe and clean.

Thanks for the very nice review. Did you use the minibus in St George? My plan was to take the minibus to Tobacco or Achilles (I think 3$ per person), then walk back into town. Thanks.

I did not take the mini bus in St George.

Yes, the weather was overcast most days which was OK for us, with the bike ride and lots of walking. When we got home it was in the 90s, so the spring like 75 degrees was fine.

Wolfpack,

We were on the same cruise and I agree, it was wonderful! I would like to add that all the locals are extremely nice and helpful. We were walking down the street one moring in the downtown area looking at a map trying to find the bus terminal. A lady on her way to work stopped and asked where we were trying to go. I told her and she gave excellent directions. Others were just as nice and helpful and would always help you find your way.

Also, when you get off the ship, there are taxis and tours but they only ask you once if you would like to take a tour or a taxi -- no hassling!

I think we may take this cruise again!

We should have gone to Bermuda instead of Ft. Myer's Beach, FL where it RAINED and RAINED all week. We had a monsoon on Friday. And we were down there on a golf package. We got some sunburn from the first day May 31 and the last day, June 6th. It rained in between. However, the Gulf was warm.

Hi all and especially to Swizzle. Boy, did we luck out! Perfect weather for Bermuda. Thanks for the weather help, sir! Coffee - Regular or De-Caf - It was OK for me. THANKS, again! Yes all - Jacket, tie, Bermuda shorts, knee socks - that is the proper dress in Bermuda!

Archived