Nieuw Amsterdam should we upgrade?

thunderbay

We are sailing out on March 10th on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have an aft cabin 8164. We love to be in the aft but after talking with the Holland America agent they are offering us an upgrade to a VQ spa stateroom on the panorama deck. She tells us this is a sweet deal but after looking at the room on their website, we really don't see much difference. Any suggestions as to what we should do? Is this type of room on this deck really better?

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I am looking at booking this stateroom or simiiar on the Niew Amsterdam next year. We have cruised many times but never in an aft facing so am interested in hearing your comments...or did you end up taking the upgrade. Cheers, Sharon

@Thunderbay: We're the opposite of you. We had originally booked a VQ stateroom on the panorama deck for our upcoming cruise but switched to an aft facing stateroom on deck 7. The reason being the balconies on the VQ rooms are not as deep as others and are recessed under an overhang. We chose deck 7 as deck 8 gives us a buffer from any noise from the aft pool area on deck 9.

I would consider the VQ cabin a huge downgrade. Small balconies with little cover.

An aft balcony cabin is PRIME! Don't give it up!

We have been on the NA in cabin 8157, and on the Eurodam in a similar spot.

Handy to the pool deck, a short walk to the stairs.

I am astonished that HAL charges extra for the VQ cabins.

I go on a chartered cruise every year, and the VQ cabins are considered "drawing the short straw" they are sold the absolute last. A little cheap table top waterfall doesn't justify the cost!

For starters, I believe that you cruise begins on March 9th so please do not show up after your ship has already sailed. The aft cabin #8164, is a great location assuming that you do not have any mobility issues and the longer walk to the public areas on the ship is not a problem. Don't change anything now, just make sure that you are still down for a complimentary upgrade. Also, be aware that Holland offers upgrades close to the sailing date where you might be able to upgrade to a Superior Verandah Suite (SS or SY) at a very small premium to the usual cost of an upgrade. Right now these suites are priced $500 per person more than your balcony cabin. If that upcharge is reduced to a smaller figure that you can handle, such as $200 per person, I would suggest that you grab it and enjoy the extra space and amenities of the larger suite.bkcruisenews@aol.com