Internet on Oosterdam

:confused: Has anyone used their own Ipads/ Laptops on the Oosterdam recently & if so what are the costs.

The cost is the same whether you use their computers in the Explorations or Neptune Lounge or your own laptop or tablet. There are 4 plans: $250 for 1000 mins, $175 for 500 mins, $100 for 250 mins and $55 for 100 mins. Pay as you go usage is charged at 75 cents a minute.

I took an iPad and connection using it was variable - tended to drop out or freeze - sometimes. Better in public lounges - virtually useless in cabin and I was close to a wireless connection. There is a warning to this effect in the leaflet for internet usage - their explanation in brief - iPads have a setting that does not work well with the on board wireless connection. I did a mix of ipad in Neptune Lounge for internet and used it outside that area mainly for e books and off line activities. Even in Neptune Lounge it would drop out and I needed to sign onto the laptop in the lounge to sign out, otherwise the system still considered I was using time.

• 1 month later...

I'm on a HAL cruise round NZ on 16th March. I've looked at the options for internet access while cruising round New Zealand and

I've come to the conclusion that TelecomNZ offers the best solution. Their coverage maps show that their coverage extends off shore along most of the coast from Dunedin to Auckland and another cruiser has confirmed this. A SIM costs $5 and for $19 you get a prepaid package which includes 60 minutes of calls and unlimited free texts in New Zealand plus 1.5GB of wireless broadband data. Calls to OZ are charged at 91c/min, which is cheaper than all of the roaming options I've looked at which have bee $2.30 to $3.50/min.

Their prepaid is different to OZ. They automatically withdraw the monthly fee from your credit card at the beginning of the month so you have to remember to cancel the service online once you get home.

I'm going to pickup up a SIM at our first port of call, Dunedin, and will report back here with the results.

I don't know about iPads/iPhones but I have an Android phone which allows tethering (cable between phone and notebook) and better still WiFi Hot Spot. My phone becomes a WiFi hot spot and I connect to that from my notebook.

I used my iPad in our cabin ( 6103) this past December / January and had no problems at all. I used it late at night and sometimes quickly during the day.

How were you connected to the internet?

Via the ships WiFi or by Wireless Broadband (3G)?

Archived