Tulum excursions

myquest23

I am trying to take my two daughters to a Mayan ruin on our day in Cozumel (Valor 7/24 trip). I think that Chichen Itza will be too far and too long a trip, but would love to see Tulum, maybe paired with Xel-ha for snorkeling.

Can anyone suggest a tour for this. I would have chosen one from Carnival just because of the extra travel to get off Cozumel but don't see one offered.

Thanks for any suggeations or warnings. - Michael

Unfortunatley, you will not be here long enough for Chichen Itza...it is a full 11 hour tour. Since you get in at 11 am, you won´t be getting off the ships until about 11:30 at the earliest, so figure a 12 departure. The grounds close around 5 pm. No way you could make it!

But Tulum is very do-able as is Xel-Ha. Again, unfortunately, Carnival doesn´t offer the Tulum Xel-Ha combo tour. You could do them on your own though - by rental car, bus or taxi. Or you might consider just doing Xel-Ha. They have ruins directly across the street that hardly anyone visits. They are small but will give you a good taste of what the Mayas were like.

I am trying to take my two daughters to a Mayan ruin on our day in Cozumel (Valor 7/24 trip). I think that Chichen Itza will be too far and too long a trip, but would love to see Tulum, maybe paired with Xel-ha for snorkeling.

Can anyone suggest a tour for this. I would have chosen one from Carnival just because of the extra travel to get off Cozumel but don't see one offered.

Thanks for any suggeations or warnings. - Michael

Another alternative might be to combine the Tulum site with the picture perfect beach just below. The setting is spectacular.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like we are going to take the Mexican bus (does it play Mexican radio?) to the ruinas, which it seems is outside of town. Somone on my Valor 7/24 roll call lead me to a link that was really informative. It is www.caribbeanportreviews.com and then find Cozumel and then Tulum. It is a shame that Carnival does not offer this, I would have paid the premium price to have all of the transport handled.

If anyone has any other info it will still be appreciated, I am not making reservations so I can change as need be.

Just a couple of notes to add to the review you read. I don't know how often the buses run to Tulum. When I last went, it was not very often. I would very much recommend spending the extra money to take a cab. Also, don't skip the guide! I have been to Tulum with and without a guide and it makes a HUGE difference. You really don't even get half the story by just looking at the ruins and reading the plaques. The guides have to go through a specific training and are certified. They are not only well versed in history, but also can add many colorful stories to your tour.

Enjoy!

Thanks Sally - a cab it will be! How much should I expect to pay? And, will I have a problem getting a cab back or do I negotiate with the driver for the whole afternoon?

Any recommendations for lunch when I am on the mainland? I would prefer authentic local cuisine to a ritzy place that will serve me a U.S. type of meal.

Michael

If you are looking to save money, then taxi is not the way to go. Fare is about $35 one way from Playa del Carmen approx an hour away. So add together the $70 for taxi to Tulum, $54 for the ferry tickets for 3, approx. $12 taxi to get to ferry, enterence to ruins $15 for 3, guide service....varies, lunch and sodas...... It adds up quickly. The ferry ride is approx. 40 minutes, taxi ride is about an hour, plan on spending at least 2 hours in ruins. So keep in mind the new screwy ferry schedule too! You may get to Playa del Carmen and have to wait 2 hours to get back to Cozumel depending on the day you travel.

If you are looking to save money, then taxi is not the way to go. Fare is about $35 one way from Playa del Carmen approx an hour away. So add together the $70 for taxi to Tulum, $54 for the ferry tickets for 3, approx. $12 taxi to get to ferry, enterence to ruins $15 for 3, guide service....varies, lunch and sodas...... It adds up quickly. The ferry ride is approx. 40 minutes, taxi ride is about an hour, plan on spending at least 2 hours in ruins. So keep in mind the new screwy ferry schedule too! You may get to Playa del Carmen and have to wait 2 hours to get back to Cozumel depending on the day you travel.

Solita,

I paid $237.00 for 3 for the Tulum tour through Carnival. It included the transportation (ferry & bus) & a nice snack

provided on the bus. Our guide had to be the very best guide there was. He was wonderful. However, as you see,

we paid a good bit more than the figures above.

Michael,

You sound a lot like me. I always want to learn about the history, culture, and people of the places I visit. I want to meet the people, try their food and visit the places most tourists aren't interested in visiting. I hope you will someday go to Chichen Itza. We have been to Tulum and Chichen Itza. They are both wonderful but they are very different from each other. I don't know which ships, if any, go to the area of Progreso anymore. I know Carnival has dropped that port. That is where we were when we took the tour of Chichen Itza last year. From Progreso, it is not as long a bus ride as it is from Playa Del Carmen. It is sooooo worth going to visit though. I'd like to go back during the spring or fall equinox. Which ever one you visit, please know that each tour has a bus stop where you will be able to refresh yourself. There will be a market for shopping. I have found both market places to be higher priced than other places. On our tour to Tulum, when we stopped at the market place, I bought an item that was much better priced & quality from vendors at Tulum. But then, when we arrived back at Playa Del Carmen, we found the exact same item at an even lower price. As the saying goes, "Live and Learn". I know you will enjoy your visit to the Mayan ruins. It is an amazing experience.

We vacation in Playa del Carmen for a couple weeks every spring. This April we took a taxi to Tulum ($40) for four or us then caught another from there to Xel-ha ($20) then another back ($35).

Keep in mind that the public bus will probably just let you off on the main highway and you will have to walk to the entrance.

As far as Xel-ha, all-inclusive is the only way to go. Not much more in dollars and you can get and drink as much as you want.

Archived