Sinfonia - Genoa to Durban Nov.2013

evyfueloil

Thinking of booking this cruise, with 2 nights in Genoa and 2 in Cape Town - sounds great but not too keen on Italian food - have read on here that the opposite repositioning route from Cape Town back to Genoa caters more for the South African cruiser and I love SA Food (bobootie, yum) so can anyone tell me if there is any S.A. cuisine on the Genoa to Cape Town route, please?

Thinking of booking this cruise, with 2 nights in Genoa and 2 in Cape Town - sounds great but not too keen on Italian food - have read on here that the opposite repositioning route from Cape Town back to Genoa caters more for the South African cruiser and I love SA Food (bobootie, yum) so can anyone tell me if there is any S.A. cuisine on the Genoa to Cape Town route, please?

I cannot say that I have ever seen bobootie on the menu.

The menu is definitely Italian and European, between Europe and SA, both ways. Bear in mind that it is an Italian ship.

The SA menu seems to be only for the Starlight cruises around SA over the winter.

We recently cruised Venice to Cape Town, pricing was in euros, mainly European clients. The same, for the return trips that we have done.

We stayed on until Durban, and the whole scene changed, different menus and choices, cheaper drink prices and pricing in dollars.

I did Livorno to Durban on the Sinfonia and as the others have said food is Italian/European. They do have some different cuisine featured on longer cruises so you may have a French or Asian or whatever evening. There is a possibility that one will be South African, but it will only be one.

There were around 400 English speaking passengers out of around 1500 on our cruise, with probably around half Brits.

E-mail from an agent this morning for this cruise at good price of £899 inc flights from/to London but has 3 nights Cape Town and only 1 night Genoa, not 2+2..

I did the trip a couple of years ago. As others have said, food wasn't especially South African though the MDR did have a few SA dishes on one of themed nights.

Canny Cruiser-I live in Canada, but do have Scotish roots with family in St Andrews, Dundee and all around Fife. I am very interesed in the same cruise, and would like to contact the agency that emailed you the great sounding offer. Is it possible to email me the agency info? I'm not sure how to get in contact with you, and so here is my contact info: yyjguy@yahoo.ca thank you

Canny Cruiser, could you say who the offer of £899 was from, please? The ones I saw were cruise1st.co.uk £1199,1 nt Genoa, 3 nts C.T., ultracruises.co.uk 2 nts C.T. £999 and adorecruises.co.uk 2 in Genoa 3 C.Town. £1099 transfers not included.

I'm a bit put off by the negative comments about smoking on board and all that pasta - do they not serve potatoes - chips even??

I'm a bit put off by the negative comments about smoking on board and all that pasta - do they not serve potatoes - chips even??

Hi there.

Don't worry about the smoking. The ventalation is very good. I hate cig smoke, but I didn't have a problem.

Pasta. When in Rome do as the Romans do! I didn't see many potatoes or chips in the med last year. Plenty of other courses to choose from though.

past is a separate course at lunch and dinner not the main course itself, so if you don't like it you can skip that course.

They're not huge on serving chips and potatoes. Main courses will normally have some but not a lot of potatoes. You can get chips at the buffet. I've seen people ask for a plate of cups innthe MDR and dinner and get them.

Canny Cruiser, could you say who the offer of £899 was from, please? The ones I saw were cruise1st.co.uk £1199,1 nt Genoa, 3 nts C.T., ultracruises.co.uk 2 nts C.T. £999 and adorecruises.co.uk 2 in Genoa 3 C.Town. £1099 transfers not included.

We're not supposed to discuss individual TAs on this site but if I say it was a cruise offer and it was from our nation, would I be breaking the rule?

I found Costa worse for smoking. On MSC most of the areas are out on deck, I think. Anyway, I wasn't conscious of ever being in a smoking environment inside, unlike on Costa.

Archived