Soto's ?

tjcricket

Has anyone gone with Soto's to Stingray City recently? We're on the VOS 6/17 & we've booked with Soto's for the 9:30-11:30 tour. Their confirmation states we're to meet them at 8:30am local time(which should be 9:30 EST). Just want to make sure I've got this right. If you went, did you have a good time?:)

Thanks.

I'm sure others have gone more recently than me, but I really enjoyed my trip with Soto's last November.

Unless they have changed the meeting location, it is just a short walk to a parking lot to the right of the tender docks. They pick you up in vans and drive you to where the boat is. There you pay any balance that is due and get your snorkel gear fitted.

You'll have a great time!

I just took a tour with Soto's two weeks ago. The time in Caymans was the same as the ship's time on Princess. I'd check the dailys to see if the time is consistent.

When we got off the tender, it was very easy to find the meeting location. Within a couple minutes of our arrival, there were several other groups gathering around. For some reason, this set my mind at ease. In total, there were probably 30 people on the tour. We went to two locations. The first location was the Coral Gardens, which was decent snorkeling. We spent about 30 minutes there and then it was off to Stingray City. This was very nice. The two guides were very good about making sure that everyone on the boat got to hold, touch, or feed the rays. There were a dozen or so other boats there at the same time. You could tell which boats were booked through the cruiseline because they were total cattle cars. THere was easily in excess of 100 people on the boats.

Overall, Soto's was definitely worth the money. It's significantly cheaper than the cruiseline's tours and the personal attention on the boat was very nice.

There were a couple negatives, however. The guy who picked us up and dropped us off was a total grump. He didn't talk, point out any of the sites along the way, and really just seemed generally annoyed at his job. Kind of a bummer. Not a good start or end to a trip. The second negative was probably a positive for some on our tour. There were two groups of people that were running really late for the meeting time, which delayed the tour. They didn't get to the meeting spot until 9:30, so they didn't arrive to the tour until almost 10. We waited for them, which I'm sure they appreciated, but for those of us that arrived at 8:30, it was annoying. We waited in the hot sun on the boat. But you know, stuff happens. I wouldn't let these minor things deter me from recommending them.

Have fun!

:) Thanks so much for the info. This is the first time we've booked a tour that was not with the ship. I'm feeling better about it by the second & really excited.

Quick question. If our ship arrives 8am est and we have to meet Soto's at 8:30 local time what time should we get on the tender? (I guess it would be EST?

ship time, if that makes any sense):eek:

We will be on Mariner of the Seas, and our boat stays on EST, which is an hour later than Grand Cayman time. We have a group of 20 booked on Soto's on June 23rd. We can't wait!

Patty

I went with Sotos in April. I was on RC and the island WAS an hour behind ship time. I was the on the same time tour as you, So pick was 830 local time, 930 ship time. I guess I was one of those annoying late people, we didn't get it to the pick up spot until 845 local time.(945 ship). 5 min later the Soto's van picked up us and 3 other people that came in on another ship. The tour still started on time. There was no wait to get on the tender, but it doesn't leave until it is full hence why it took us longer than we expected. We really enjoyed our tour and would recommend Soto's.

We're going in August. I got this info from their email:

I confirm 4 adults on August 18th at 9:30am – 11:30am

PICKUP IS FOR 8:30AM (local) EASTERN STANDARD TIME

Please note that we do not observe Daylight Savings Time.

So if my watch (which is on EST) is at 9:30, then it's 8:30am in GC and we meet them at 9:30 our time?

I don't know why I cannot grasp this :D

Kim

We did Soto's in March and we were very happy with them. It is a family run business and we felt well taken care of with lots of one-on-one time with the sting rays, compared to the huge barges coming in from the ship excursions. We had a total of 35-40 people instead of the 100-200 people on those other barge types. Our stop for snorkeling was a quick stop, although it was overcast that morning and was difficult to see, so didn't bother me any, but that gave us more time at the sandbar (we arrived 20-30 mins before the big barges) which was definately the highlight of our cruise! I didn't have any big "want" to go see the stingrays before, but now, I tell everyone I know that it was very special and not to miss it. Make sure to put LOTS of sunscreen on and bring a hat & sunglasses. The water is so shallow that I could stand in as deep of water as my hips or shallow as my knees all within the size of a football size (?) area. Make sure to bring your underwater cameras (plus an extra) as I'm sure you will be snapping lots of pics as we did! The vans were waiting for us and the same guy who drove our boat happened to be our van driver too, so we were pleased, as he was very nice. (His accent made me chuckle... sounds so foreign to me.) I belive it was Mr Soto himself. There were a few families with kids (ages 8-12) and they were great with them too. I can't wait to go back and take my daughter next time!

I am hoping we will have better weather on our cruise than my friend who sailed last week. They were not able to stop at Grand Cayman. I sure don't want to miss Stingray City next week with Soto's!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the 2 stop snorkel trip with Soto's last week. There were 21 in my party, and less than 30 people on the boat total. They picked us up on time at the designated spot in 2 vans. We checked in and paid for the excursion, which was the cpest rate I had found,and got on the boat. We first stopped at the Barrier Reef, and saw an eel and a shark, as well as coral, and numerous fish. We then went to Stingray City, where they made sure we all got to hold a stingray, and kiss it for luck if we wished. They also gave us food to feed the stingrays for all who wanted to feed them. They also lifted up the stingrays, and put them on our back, which will give us great pictures, and the kids loved it. They also provide a videographer on request, which I did, and we saw some of the footage which looked great. The DVD is $55, and will arrive in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see it. Everyone in my party was very pleased with Soto's. My sister-in-law commented how they would have missed Stingray City if they had to book with RCI, as their age limit is 5. My triplet nephews are 4, and had a great time. We saw some double decker boats which had way too many people. We were much better off, with a private excursion, and got lots of one on one time with the Stingrays. My entire family was pleased with Soto's, and I highly recommend them. They even dropped some of us off at the Hyatt on the way back, as many of us wanted to take a taxi to the turtle farm. I would not hesitate to use Soto's again. Thanks to this board for the recommendation, which was how I found them.

Patty

Can't really help you there. We only stopped there to get a taxi to the turtle farm. Go to the cayman activity guide forum. They have info on the Hyatt over there, and can answer any questions.

I am considering booking with Soto's for our stop on 10-28-05. Our boat, Mariner of the Seas dosn't arrive until 9 am and I am worried about not getting tendered in time to make the 9:30 departure. Anyone who has any insight on this, pleas let me know. I am in charge of booking excursions for our whole family (10 total) and I don't want to mess up!:confused:

Mariner time is EST. It is currently one hour ahead of Grand Cayman as they do not observe daylights saving time. So if you arrive at 9AM, it will be 8 AM Grand Cayman time. If you got on one of the earliest tenders, you should make the morning trip. Our meeting time, about 5 minutes walk from the pier, was 8:45-9:00 Grand Cayman time. I would hesitate to book the afternoon trip which ends at 3 pm Grand Cayman time, which is 4 PM Mariner time. If I remember right, our last tender was 30 minutes before sail time.

I know what you mean about wanting to book a great trip for your family. I know how you feel, as I was the one who arranged Soto's for my group of 21 last month. We ranged in ages 4-50 something. Anyone who was old enough to express an opinion was very happy with Soto's and the hands on time the guides spent with us in the water. At the Barrier reef, one of the 2 guides(forgive me, I can't remember their names), knew just where to go to entice the sand shark out and the Moray eel. I just got my DVD back in the mail, and I was amazed at how much time he spent holding the eel, and retrieving it when he let it loose. It was like they were old pals doing a water dance. Videography is available upon request, and they show you clips on the boat ride back, and after seeing my DVD, I recommend it. The DVD was $55 including shipping, and set to Caribbean music. My only complaint about the DVD was that the ending seemed abrupt,as it ended right after Stingray City with a view of Soto's ladder to enter the boat, but it was cool to see the eel up close on the DVD, as we were too chicken to get too close. The videographer also made sure to get everyone on the boat on the DVD, in and out of the water. At Stingray city, both of the guides got out and were catching Stingrays, so that we could all hold them, kiss them for luck, and pet them. They also gave us squid to feed them, and rubbed the stingrays up and down our back for our stingray massage, which is all shown on the DVD. We were getting much more personalized service than any of the other boats we saw. Some of the boats probably had at least 80 people on it, as some boats were doubledecker. My sister had gone on a previous stingray company with a company she can not remember the name of, as it was years ago, and she said Soto's was much more personalized, and she would not hesitate to recommend it. As I was responsible for my entire family, I was very worried when I booked Soto's based on good reviews I had read here. Believe me, my family would not hesitate to tell me I messed up. I polled my family on the holiday weekend, and they were all very pleased with Soto's, and would not hesitate to recommend Soto's. Kerry at Soto's was very patient with me and answered all my questions prior to the trip and beleive me I had plenty. I am sure she is busy getting ready for hurricane Dennis, but when the storm passes, I am sure she would be happy to answer your qustions as well. The price and service are excellent, and they deserved their tip. Another seller for me was that I am a large person, and I had no difficulty getting on/off the boat. If you have any other questions, you can post them here, or e-mail me @ hernandez@astound.net. You can also get information about Soto's at the cayman actvity guide forums. I am a satisfied customer, who feels I got more than my moneys worth with Sotos. I would use them again in a heartbeat if I ever get back there. It was my highlight of Grand Cayman. My sons however, liked Stingray City, but they are crazy about turtles, and loved the turtle farm.

Patty

Archived