Cruise Vacation of a Lifetime!! Is this budget realistic??

GABooBoo

We live in Americus, GA so about a 9 hour drive, the cruise is the Carnival Imagination for 4 nights to the Western Carribean and it sails from Miami. We don't want an expensive hotel, just some place to rest the just outside Miami after a long day of driving, We found a hotel in Dania Beach for $55. It says 19 miles to port of Miami

You are right to stay outside of Miami. Some hotels offer free parking, but probably not shuttle to Port of Miami, but SAS transfers for $15.00/pp, so I guess that's $60.00 r/t, so no real savings there. Sorry. Have a great time, sounds like you deserve this vacation.

Sounds like you have most of the bases covered. Aside from all the good advice, just know that the time you spend on this cruise with your husband will be a memory you will treasure forever. When it's all said and done, it won't be the souvenirs or drinks you remember, it will be watching the sunset, sharing some romantic meals, and basking in the warm tropical sun together.

Those things are all free.

Just go for it and enjoy each other.

Since this is a trip of a lifetime (for us at least) we wanted to see Miami and also go to Mexico. We are actually looking forward to the long drive and going far from home. :D The Bahamas looked nice but Cozumel looks beautiful. I daydream about it!

I think you will really enjoy Cozumel. I liked it better than Nassau. Never been to Key West, but it's on my list. Also, you can check out different beaches in Coz on the ports of call section of cruise critic. We spent some time at the shops at the cruise port and then took a taxi to Mr. sanchos. Fun place but other places are closer.

I agree with the others recommending travel insurance. It seems rather expensive, but it's a small expense if something happens and you need it.

Be aware that the bottled water in your cabin when you embark is the 'freebie', but if you ask for additional bottles, they charge it to your S&S card.

One mistake we've made over the years is coming home with photos of everything we saw, but none of 'us'. Don't hesitate to ask folks if they'd mind snapping a photo of you two with your camera! You'll come back with some great pics full of memories of where you were at that moment, and they won't cost you a small fortune.

You're going to have a GREAT time!!! Enjoy!!!

You might consider going out of Tampa and doing the 4 or 5 night. You can drive from Americus to Tampa in under 6 hrs so you could leave home the morning of the cruise and save hotel money. You can get to Jacksonvile in 4 hrs, but you said you wanted to see Cozumel so that wouldn't work. What ever you choose enjoy.

Be sure you add a day to your parking bill. We sailed out of Port Canaveral on a 3 night cruise, but the parking lot charged us for 4 days. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was a surprise. I am used to the 24 hour parking charge method - in at noon, 1 day charge until noon the following day - but they charged for each day you were there. So we got charged for Thursday (parked about noon), Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday (out before 10 am). Like I said, not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

Here is a little tip that could save you a little on parking. I had someone in my group use this place in Nov and worked out well for them.

You will need to make reservations but the place is called portofmiamicruiseparking.com They charge 4.50 per day. They do not have a shuttle service to drive or pick you up from the port, but if you do the math it is well worth it. So a 4 day cruise means you pay for 5 days of parking. That would be $22.50 for the parking. This place is literally right outside the port. So it is a $10 cab ride one way. So the $22.50 plus the 2 cab rides puts you under $50 for parking.

Overnight parking at one of the parking garages in the Port of Miami is $20 per night.

Just an option….

Good luck, hope everything comes together for you and enjoy your cruise.

Were you looking at a price for an inside guarantee (super saver) pricing? Because when I looked at the first week of December I can't see anything around $540 for 2 people unless you were looking at guarantee.

Just want to be sure you completely understand the various price codes and what each one means.

Sounds like you have taken alot in to consideration in your planning. It is very doable on your budget. I have never bought travel insurance and I have been fine. I pray that i will never regret not purchasing it. If you do purchase you will want to purchase it outside of Carnival.

Take the wine on Board that is allowed.

You can take your own soda and water on board.

In Cozumel there is wonderful places you can walk to. My husband and I have spent the entire day there and only spent like $20 on food and drink. We found a small place and shared some fajitas and had a couple drinks. Just stay away from the places right on the pier as you will pay lots more.

One thing is for sure you will never go hungry while on board. There is plently of food and drink that is free.

Do your research before you go and these boards are great.....YOu can have your port days planned and find plenty of free or very in expensive things to do.

I always stick and extra $100 bill in my purse that my husband doesn't know I have but I always come home with it. I just like to have it in an just in case....

You will have a wonderful time!!!!!

You need to give more information. Such as, how far are you travelling to the port, how long is the cruise, where are you leaving from? Things like that.

I get you want to go on the cheap, and you can get a hotel for under $50, I do it all the time, but probably not at the port. But you do not have to stay at the port, you can just finish driving in in the morning.

Check out 123stay.com you can get hotel and parking packages. I am paying 110.00 for the hotel the night before andparking up to 14 days is included at a nice hotel. They have listing fro every port. We usually spend about 300.00 in drinking and about 400.00 in ports buying odds and ends you always find something you want.

Check out the cruises from New Orleans too the newly redone Carnival Sunshine will be sailing out of there then. They have a cruise to key west and 2 bahamas port for about the same price. I always do prepaid gratuities as well. But if you are taking a once in a lifetime vacation my advice is don't try to cut it tight. You want to enjoy yourself. We always enjoy the steakhouse once.

Here are a few tips that we do:

1. Buy a collapsible cooler and pack in your luggage.

2. Take on soda & water allowed 12 per person in your carry on luggage. ONe of usually takes water and the other sodas.

3. Book with prepaid gratuities.

4. Watch the sales that come out very closely if you play around with the website you will see sometimes that the charges for decks change based on what you choose.

5. Plan to have money to enjoy yourselves and not worry about what you are spending.

6. Research the ship you are choosing and reviews of that ship.

I have a really good personal planner that will help you with room choice and to get the best rate. her email is CARNIVAL TERRI BYRON <TByron@carnivalpvp.com>

You may have already taken this under consederation but you only have to pay half down and then the balance doesn't need paid in full until 90 or 70 days before cruise so you can pay a little each month. By doing that you might be able to do a little more or longer if you want.

I have gone without insuring before but on the "recent trips" I have purhased it for one person and dollar amount..between 79 and 125 dollars for 4 and 5 day cruises at about 800 to 1250 for everything....air etc, the second one for 5 days covered just everything . I am 53 and after reading here..it just calms one down so that one insures oneself one can go again!! This will help post cruise depression possibilities...something will not wipe out future savings and trips...you are going to love it!!..

The problem is one bad thing can stop a lot of future vacations you so well deserve. And you are so smart to look here and study up and ask the significant questions. Something to cover health issues and coming home from a far away port. It is not terribly expensive for a short cruise for 2 at your dollar amount....look up travel insurance at several online sites...not sure we can say specific ones..but it spells it all out and it is best to be covered earlier as you buy your trip so you get pre-existing conditions covered under all loopholes...

Free ice cream and tea and lemonade on the ship are great for the drinks. The ship water is very safe, has to be.....just not to some people's taste. I mix the tea and lemonade and don't need too many cokes. You can take I think a 12 pack per person of pop and one bottle of wine each..so that is great.

I am very happy for you. Good things happen to those who wait and it is your time now.......Sarah

My guess is plenty of plans will cover you for 100 or so, maybe less with your budget. The main thing is health issues and proper evacuation from a foreign country and getting your money back with an auto getting there mishap. A charge card for the direct medical/car travel loss costs upfront and insurance saves you there...Sarah

When doing a long drive, you can always save by taking a cooler and packing sandwiches. :)

One other thing to budget for is possible incidental tips. I see that you are prepared for the gratuities that the cruiseline charges, but don't forget all the little $1 & $2 tips - they add up fast!

You said you aren't taking any excursions, so these are the ones I am thinking of right off the top of my head...

- Taxi Drivers

- Shuttle drivers

- Luggage Porters at the Port

- Room Service

Have a great time!!!

Tammy,

Since you have about 10 months to save up a few more dollars for the expenses of your trip, you might want to try this easy handy way to save.

It's the old save your pocket change in a jar.

I have a jar that when I have to clear the loose change out of my purse it all goes in the jar---not just pennies but all coins. If both you and your husband do this every week, you will be surprised how much you can collect by the time of your cruise. But that means no taking anything out---for anything!

Before my husband passed, we had one of those large old glass water bottles and since he hated having change in his pockets, he emptied them every day into the jar. When it was about 1/2 full and could barely pick up the jar, cashed it in. It was a bit over $800 !!! Since it's just me now, I use one of the old fashioned 1/2 gal. jars. I've been wondering lately how much I have in there! I'll probably "cash in" before my next cruise. Although they charge a little, I like using the coin changer machines at Kroger. Quick, handy, and easy.

I know ya'll are going to have a fabulous time. Enjoy every minute of it and enjoy the adventure of exploring someplace new! Yep, you're not going to believe the color of Cozumel's water! :D

Tammy,

Since you have about 10 months to save up a few more dollars for the expenses of your trip, you might want to try this easy handy way to save.

It's the old save your pocket change in a jar.

I have a jar that when I have to clear the loose change out of my purse it all goes in the jar---not just pennies but all coins. If both you and your husband do this every week, you will be surprised how much you can collect by the time of your cruise. But that means no taking anything out---for anything!

Before my husband passed, we had one of those large old glass water bottles and since he hated having change in his pockets, he emptied them every day into the jar. When it was about 1/2 full and could barely pick up the jar, cashed it in. It was a bit over $800 !!! Since it's just me now, I use one of the old fashioned 1/2 gal. jars. I've been wondering lately how much I have in there! I'll probably "cash in" before my next cruise. Although they charge a little, I like using the coin changer machines at Kroger. Quick, handy, and easy.

I know ya'll are going to have a fabulous time. Enjoy every minute of it and enjoy the adventure of exploring someplace new! Yep, you're not going to believe the color of Cozumel's water! :D

Along those same lines we never spend our $1 bills, except to tip now and then, and they add up quick. Granted its a little harder to do.

Since this is a trip of a lifetime (for us at least) we wanted to see Miami and also go to Mexico. We are actually looking forward to the long drive and going far from home. :D The Bahamas looked nice but Cozumel looks beautiful. I daydream about it!

I understand! Sometimes getting there is half the fun!:)

We never spend $5 bills, and deposit it once a month. Usually we have enough to cover all our extras when we cruise. It really adds up quickly.

Good luck saving just a little bit extra before your cruise. Any little bit that can be put aside will help.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You will have a long 9+ hour drive to Miami from Americus and then the same on the return drive. Canaveral has a much nicer and easier port to get to and to embark/disembark from and is only a 6 hour drive. Something to consider - especially the ride home. Personally I hate spoiling my nice relaxation after the cruise with a white knuckle drive home on the interstate anymore than I have too. That's just me.

I have not sailed on the Ecstasy (or the Imagination for that matter) but it is the same size/class ship and was refurbished in 2011 so it is a little "newer". Right now there are a couple of 5 day cruises for under $250/person although they don't go to Cozumel. They go to Freeport, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay or Freeport, Nassau, and Key West.

We have not cruised as much as many others but have always enjoyed each cruise we have been on. We don't gamble and I usually bring a bottle of wine on board (my wife does not drink). There are lots of great tips on CC on what to see at the ports that are very low cost or free so expense there would be minimal. You research and choose.

The best souveniers are pictures you take with your own camera on places you visit, the ship, your meals in the Main Dining Room, Pool side, etc. Take LOTS of them. Digital camera pictures don't really cost anything and can be viewed for free. Also don't forget to SAVE your daily activities newsletter, the FUN TIMES. There will be one waiting for you in the cabin and you will get every evening in your cabin for the next day. It's great to go along with the photos. You get to keep your Sign and Sail card too. Another nice momento.

If you think there is a chance of "mal de mer" (sounds classier than sea sickness) then the cabin with the least amount of rocking is on the lowest deck, inside cabin, in the middle of the ship. It is also the least expensive. You also don't have to worry about which way to go to get anywhere on the ship. It is always up and nothing is so far away that it takes more than a couple of minutes to get there. It is also closest to the deck to get off the ship. Lots of pluses.

I hope you both have a wonderful cruise. There is lots to read here. This is one of the best places for planning a great time.

Cheers!

Oh how exciting! I have a feeling you are going to have the most amazing time on this trip! All your saving and planning will pay off for sure!

The only tip I have is the same as some others have said, if you can swing saving a little more spending money, do it. That way you can treat yourself to souveniers and have a little money to play with on the ship. If you don't have extra you will still have an amazing time and make memories for a lifetime!

Have a great cruise!!

Other incidental charges to think about:

Tipping the porters - these are the guys that are (well basically taking your bag from you and throwing into the Carnival luggage bin to be forklifted onto the ship). Figure $2-3 per bag. You could carry your own bags on, but it's such a pain the in the rear especially when your room might not be ready for a couple of hours.

Photos - this is your first cruise. You're going to want to walk away with every picture, but at least splurge and buy one that you really like. Wait til the last day and pick the best one. $20

Extra tipping of the wait staff/room stewards or rooms service - if you order room service, you should tip. I tend to throw a little extra at my room steward and waiters.

Possible cab fare - there really isn't much by the pier in Cozumel. But for a $6 per person cab ride, you can go hang out at the local beach.

Sodas - they aren't included.

I agree with the others recommending travel insurance. It seems rather expensive, but it's a small expense if something happens and you need it.

Be aware that the bottled water in your cabin when you embark is the 'freebie', but if you ask for additional bottles, they charge it to your S&S card.

One mistake we've made over the years is coming home with photos of everything we saw, but none of 'us'. Don't hesitate to ask folks if they'd mind snapping a photo of you two with your camera! You'll come back with some great pics full of memories of where you were at that moment, and they won't cost you a small fortune.

You're going to have a GREAT time!!! Enjoy!!!

Since when the bottle water is free ? Never saw a free bottle of water out of 9 cruises.

Archived