RCL Radiance vs. Celebrity Solstice ALASKA

SloanesMommy

Hi everyone,

I am a first time cruiser ever and first time to Alaska. We are traveling with 7 family members including a 23 month old. We were originally going to go with RCL Radiance Northbound cruise but it seems as if there is going to be too much traveling involved (Getting to Vancouver from across the US, and then needing to take a train or bus from Seward to Anchorage, and then getting home from Anchorage) - it is really expensive and time-consuming. So I found Celebrity Solstice cruise round-trip Seattle. The traveling is so much easier (non-stops both directions) But Celebrity does not seem as family friendly - no daycare for kids < 3. Also it is more expensive a cruise. Has anyone been on these ships/routes and what do you think??

Thanks!

We sailed on the Radiance last August on the southbound route. We loved it!

When we booked the cruise, we arranged to have transfers through RC and I'm glad we did. We didn't have any trouble at all.

When we flew into Anchorage, we asked for the RC representative. We were directed to a kiosk where the friendly RC staff checked us off their list, and then told us when the next bus was leaving for Seward. I think we had about a one hour wait.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the food court, then went back to the waiting area at the RC desk. When the bus arrived, we got in along with several other people and the driver loaded up all the baggage.

I'm not sure how long the drive was but it seemed to pass quickly. The scenery was fantastic and the driver gave information about what we were seeing from time to time.

Before we knew it, we had arrived at the Seward terminal. The Radiance was the only ship there! Check in at the terminal was a breeze. We walked right in, went up to the counter to check in, and went right on to the ship!

The quickest embarkation we have ever had.

The ship is fantastic and the cruise was the best we have ever had. The itinerary includes 4 ports of call. Icy Strait Point was and still is our favorite. We went on the Bear and Whale watch combo excursion through RC. We saw two bears catching Salmon and countless whales! It was absolutely breathtaking!

When we went through the Hubbard Glacier area, we witnessed numerous "calving" which is when great chuncks of ice break off with loud cracking and rumbling then fall into the water.

I could go on and on. As you can see, even now I get excited just thinking about it and trying to describe what we saw.

We went in August and had beautiful weather all week, even in Ketchikan where it rains so much.

At the end of the cruise, going though the Vancouver terminalwas no trouble at all. We also had a transfer that took us to the Vancouver airport.

We have never been on a Celebrity cruise, so can't comment on that. But, I highly recommend Radiance! :D

You might be interested in seeing my wife's picture slideshows. Here is a link to the page where you will see slideshows about the different ports of call as well as the ship.

2012 RC Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound

HAPPY SAILING! It's a great way to explore the world!

If you want roundtrip Seattle - consider Princess and HAL as well. You want the longest times in port, and preferably, Glacier Bay for the glacier sailing, (although depending on the time of year - later is usually better with less ice- Hubbard Glacier is pretty spectacular as well).

You could also consider roundtrip Vancouver - still flying into Seattle, but taking the train/bus/or car rental up to Vancouver before and after your cruise.

I looked at the Solstice itinerary, and it does not appeal to me. Besides, that ship is too large for me. I prefer smaller ships (HAL Amsterdam, Volendam, etc.) or one of Princess's smaller ships. Celebrity cannot sail Glacier Bay, and I don't believe RCCL can either, so that would turn me off to those two cruiselines.

I have sailed on both Radiance of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice on Caribbean sailings. RC is more kid oriented whereas Celebrity, geared more to adults. I haven't sailed Alaska (on my list!) but would recommend finding an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. Both Princess and Holland America cruise there and they are the top 2 players in Alaska.

The 23 month old doesn't qualify for any program, so don't base your decision on that. I think Princess does a great job in Alaska because they truly wrote the book on cruising Alaska. Take a look at them before deciding.

Hello Sloanes Mommy. I have always cruised Royal Caribbean, since I'm a great fan and unfortunately cannot give my opinion on Carnival. However, I did the Alaska cruise onboard the Radiance in 2001 and I loved everything about it. I did however the whole way round, boarding and exiting in Vancouver. I can only tell you that it was worth every dollar we paid, and although the ship was only months old back then, I am pretty sure it's still offering a great experience.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Due to tight schedules and ease of travel, we have chosen to go on Celebrity Solstice round-trip from Seattle. I fear we might be missing out on some great views and glacier visits, but for a first-time cruise, I am sure I won't be disappointed- I will just have to cruise Alaska again in the future!

Archived