Procedures when deplaning at Vancouver

drdaddy

Just curious, and I am sure this was covered before.

When we land at YVR, are there luggage carts at the carousels? What is the fee and do you need CAD for this? (I am sure you would since it is not the US, duh)

I think there will be a Princess rep waiting for us since we have transfers to the hotel. Can't use US Direct because this will be Thursday and the ship leaves Sat.

Any other tidbits to know before we fly off?

Thanks.

And if you arrive about the same time as one or two (or seven) of the many longhaul arrivals - from London, Asia, etc., be sure to use the loo in the arrivals area before joining the queues from hell before passport control. You've been warned.

Been there, didn't do that, was verrrrry sorry!

I'll add that if your customs line is long, look on both sides of your baggage carousel because likely your luggage has been removed.

I'll add that if your customs line is long, look on both sides of your baggage carousel because likely your luggage has been removed.

What does this mean? Someone stole it or it has already been gathered by Princess? :o

And if you arrive about the same time as one or two (or seven) of the many longhaul arrivals - from London, Asia, etc., be sure to use the loo in the arrivals area before joining the queues from hell before passport control. You've been warned.

What does "loo" mean

What does "loo" mean

Toilet, WC, restroom, bog, ladies/gents, washroom, bathroom, "public convenience," lavatory... (your term here.)

The word "loo" (and who should know this better than I?) derives from the word I use as my handle. In medieval Edinburgh, which possessed the tallest buildings in the world at the time (some up to eight or nine stories), the wifies and maids would holler out "Gardyloo" before flinging the contents of the chamberpots out the window to the street below. It came from "regardez l'eau" - watch out for the water - reflecting the "Auld Alliance" between Scotland and France against the English. "Gardyloo" was a warning to get the #@&! off the street or else, and make it snappy. It was shortened over time to "loo," which is now near-universal in the non-US English speaking world.

More than you wanted to know, I bet. ;)

What does this mean? Someone stole it or it has already been gathered by Princess? :o

The airport people will have taken it off the carousel and moved it to long lines of bags on the floor nearby.

That is great info. Thanks all.

Good tip about the loo. Even I knew! Love Scotland and need to go back but we'll wait til things calm down around the world. This trip is bad enough.

I just realized that I posted this on the Alaska forum but the Canada forum is pretty quiet and most of us is using YVR as a gateway to Alaska so I guess I did not violate any forum etiquette, at least not to badly.

Thanks again.

Everytime I read something else I am soooo glad we are going a few days early.

We had arrived a day before the cruise so we had to claim our bags. What I meant was that it took so long to get thru customs that the airport personnel had removed our bags from the carousel to make room for the next plane's baggage. So it was on the floor next to the carousel, but on the opposite side from where we were waiting. We watched the carousel go around for about 10 mins without seeing our bags, so when I went to search up an airport employee to help me, I found it on the opposite side of the carousel, on the floor in a pile with about 50 other pieces of luggage.

Archived