Divorced Mother and her Child

lstiblier

Does anyone know- mother and child are traveling with us. Mother has custody and dad has visiting privileges. Mom and child both have passports. Does the mom need a letter of permission from the dad? I'm thinking not- but don't want any surprises when we embark.

Does anyone know- mother and child are traveling with us. Mother has custody and dad has visiting privileges. Mom and child both have passports. Does the mom need a letter of permission from the dad? I'm thinking not- but don't want any surprises when we embark.

Better to err on the side of caution I would say.

Yes,the mom will need a notorized letter from the father giving permission to take the child out of the country. I had to on both of the cruises I took with my children and they did look at the letter. You can find an example of a letter online, just google it.

You definitely want to talk to either your travel agent or RCCL directly. You are right, you don't want any issues at embarkation. We are taking an underage friend of our daughter's on a cruise in a few weeks and will make sure we have the proper letters by checking with RCCL

You would actually need to speak to a lawyer or consult the courts in your local area. This is not a matter for the cruise ships, for all they know your child does not have a father. As long as you have necessary identification (birth certificates) you will be fine as far as the cruise goes.

Depending on your divorce decree and your parenting plan you may be required by law to get verbal and or written permission to travel outside of your city/county/state/country.

I took my children on at least 3 cruises, just the 3 of us. They've also been on 3 other cruises with myself and their stepfather. I had full custody. I always had my divorce papers with me (original county stamped set). I've only shown our passports, my birth certificate, and I've been asked to show my divorce papers once in 6 cruises. It was also on that same cruise that I had to get a supervisor called because the older lady checking us in was lost. (?) I phoned RC 3 times prior to that last cruise (where the person checking me in got snippy). RC confirmed with me that this was all I needed due to having fully custody. I also NOW have an email stating from RC exactly what I was told and I've kept in in my RC file every since that snafu.

My advice is to email RC so you will have this information printed out. If you TRULY have fully custody, there's no letter necessary from the other parent. That is only for shared parenting.

I'm proud to say that on my next sailing, my youngest son will be 18 so I won't have to worry about any of this crap any longer. :D

Best of luck lstiblier for a great cruise.

I have full custody of my son. He was 5 when we started cruising, and he is now 14. I've taken him on 6 cruises, all with RCI.

One important note that no one else has talked about....my last name is still the same as my son's. I have heard about more issues in situations where this is not the case.

I have always taken a notarized letter from my son's father, but never been asked to show it. We have always just shown the normal identification - in our case, passports for both of us. (I did use my son's birth certificate on his first cruise.) We have never had anyone ask if I was divorced, where his father was, etc. No questions.

All that said, I STILL always take a letter from his father. I just think it's a small thing, and better safe than sorry. If you are on good terms with your ex and can get a letter easily, I would do it....just for peace of mind, if nothing else!

Finally, RCI's website has details of what documentation you need, and specifically addresses the situation of a child traveling without both parents. You might also consider printing that out to have with you.

Have a wonderful cruise! My son and I have found it to be one of our favorite ways to travel together!

Ruth

I agree with Ruth...

I also am a divorced mom of 3. I was nervous when we took our first cruise, post divorce. I did consult with my attorney and because we have joint and I have "physical" all I needed was to get ex's approval in an email.

Because we still share the same last name there are never any red flags when we show up. In fact we have done 3 cruises together now and not once has anyone ever asked. If you have different last names, I would be sure to have notorized letters, etc.

Have fun!!!

Laws obviously vary for different countries. In the uk the other parents permission is not generally required to leave the uk. I have however been asked by immigration to explain the relationship between my son and myself as we have different surnames. I therefore have always travelled with a copy of his birth certificate and my marriage certificate to provide evidence if needed. I've also been asked to explain the relationship when leaving a ship.

Would it be difficult to get a notarized letter of permission from the father?

If that is easy, skip the lawyers .... etc. .... and go with that.

Would it be difficult to get a notarized letter of permission from the father?

If that is easy, skip the lawyers .... etc. .... and go with that.

Definitely get a notorized letter with permission from the father, if he has visitation I am assuming you are on speaking terms and it shouldnt be hard to get.

If the father is deceased I was once asked for a death certificate. They ended up letting us on without it but not worth the risk if a letter is easy to get.

You would actually need to speak to a lawyer or consult the courts in your local area. This is not a matter for the cruise ships, for all they know your child does not have a father. As long as you have necessary identification (birth certificates) you will be fine as far as the cruise goes.

Depending on your divorce decree and your parenting plan you may be required by law to get verbal and or written permission to travel outside of your city/county/state/country.

I'm curious as to who you think is making the decision about whether people get on board? [HINT: in most cases it IS the cruise line, often based on worst case interpretations of various laws]. You can attempt to sue the cruise line after your ship has sailed without you, but the cruise contract you sign makes this very difficult even if you are in the right.

Although it is not unusual to never be asked for documentation, it is entirely possible that the cruise line may assume that you are from an area demanding the utmost in permissions and documentation. As suggested elsewhere, if a notarized permission is easily obtained, it will be worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Thom

I don't know if it would be the cruise line or customs that would actually require the paperwork, but better safe than sorry. The exception does not disprove the rule. So just because some people made it through with no issue does not mean you won't get caught up in some random check or by an overzealous agent. I would say get a notarized letter.

This rasied a question for me - I am not divorced - but am taking my child on a cruise out of San Juan without her father. She has a passport. Will I need a letter of approval from her dad to take my child?

Yes, every time I have to travel outside the country or on the ships I have to have a NOTARIZED letter of permission despite the fact that my children have passports. (which to me is ridiculous as you need both parents in person to get a kid passports, thereby creating a situation of informed consent for all travel). RCCL has a template on thier site somewhere if I recall. I was asked for it on three occasions, and on at least one other occasion, NOT asked for it, so it's a crapshoot. But pretty much the last three times I have been asked for it. I use this one and just change my dates/names depending on which kid is going:

Consent for International Travel with One Legal Guardian

I, <Non custodial parent name>, MAKE OATH AND SAY, that I am the non-custodial parent / <Father or Mother> of:

1. Child’s name born on <birthdate> in <city, state>. USA

2. Child’s name born on <birthdate> in <city, state>. USA

My children, <insert child’s names here>, have my consent to travel with the custodial parent / <Mother/Father>, <CUSTODIAL PARENT NAME> of <city, state of residence>, USA and other family members (insert any other family members here) to visit <locations here> destinations via a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship. Both children currently have United States passports necessary for international travel issued by the U.S. Dept. of State with my previous permission. The above noted family members have permission to authorize medical care and provide supervision of their activities.

My children will be leaving the United States of America from <insert departure date, and departure location> and returning to the United States of America, via cruise ship, on or around <insert date>. Other stops on the cruise itinerary will include locations in the <insert cruise itinerary here> and include but are not limited to: <insert all locations on the itinerary>.

Any questions regarding this consent can be directed to me at:

<Non custodial parent name>

<address>

Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

SWORN BEFORE ME at the city of )

____________________ in the State of )

<insert state name>, County of <xxxxxx>, )

this_______________________

day of __________, 2013. )

)

)

_________________________________ )

A NOTARY PUBLIC in and for the State )

Of __________________, County of )

________________. My commission )

expires on: __________________.

I don't know if it would be the cruise line or customs that would actually require the paperwork, but better safe than sorry. The exception does not disprove the rule. So just because some people made it through with no issue does not mean you won't get caught up in some random check or by an overzealous agent. I would say get a notarized letter.

I took my grandson on a cruise on the Majesty and they asked for the notarized letter from BOTH parents when we boarded and again when we registered for AO on the first evening.

I guess it's different rules for guests originating in the UK - when you travel with your child who has a different name the only thing you need is proof of parentage e.g. birth certificate to link you to your child (which I take with me).

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/family-travel/

But if it is only one parent and you had the same name you can just take them - no issue.

I have phoned and checked this before because people were telling me a notarized letter was needed - but now appears to be the case that one is needed for US folks taking their child away without the other parent.

Ask 10 people here and you will get 10 varying answers. If mom has sole custody, then technically custody papers are all that are necessary to bring (in addition to the passport). Of course, you REALLY don't want to get that one agent who doesn't understand this... so getting a note from dad would eliminate any fears on that front.

As a single parent, I was completely freaked out by the idea of being denied boarding. Not to mention that permission from absent parent to get a passport is now necessary. Decided to go to court to establish custody (father is absentee). Haven't EVER been asked for any kind of documentation (knocking on wood).

Even went so far as to bring a friend of DD's our most recent cruise. Had ALL necessary paperwork (letter from dad, mothers death certificate, etc) was NEVER asked for anything. Even coming back into the country, we weren't even asked for our passports.

You never know what you're going to deal with. Be prepared.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does anyone know if a child has one or two surviving parents? Are the parent's names on the child's passport?

No they are not, but both parents have to be present to apply for the passport (or need dealth cert or nortorized letter)

No they are not, but both parents have to be present to apply for the passport (or need dealth cert or nortorized letter)

So you're saying that once a child has a passport, there's no way for anyone to tell whether there is one parent or two? If some official says they need a letter, the accompanying parent can just say there is no other parent?

So you're saying that once a child has a passport, there's no way for anyone to tell whether there is one parent or two? If some official says they need a letter, the accompanying parent can just say there is no other parent?

We just applied (like last Friday) for our DD 2nd passport - they take the old one so I can not look right now.

But:

It shows Name, SS#, DOB, Passport #, Exp date, US cit & then they sign it (yes they do)

Basiclly just like ours...

There have been some good points made as to how would they know if there are two parents or is it just assumed...still I don't want to get to SJ and not be able to board because I don't have documentation showing my DH gave me permission to take my DD on vacation.

Edit to add: When applying you have to provide all the parents information as well, I would guess that would be tied to the passport number ... whether they run the number or not I do not know so they may be able to tell there were two parents when the application was submitted.

We just applied (like last Friday) for our DD 2nd passport - they take the old one so I can not look right now.

But:

It shows Name, SS#, DOB, Passport #, Exp date, US cit & then they sign it (yes they do)

Basiclly just like ours...

There have been some good points made as to how would they know if there are two parents or is it just assumed...still I don't want to get to SJ and not be able to board because I don't have documentation showing my DH gave me permission to take my DD on vacation.

Edit to add: When applying you have to provide all the parents information as well, I would guess that would be tied to the passport number ... whether they run the number or not I do not know so they may be able to tell there were two parents when the application was submitted.

I think you are correct to try to get the proper documentation. It would be a major problem is someone demanded a letter and you didn't have it. I'm just asking questions to learn about the process. We may bring a grandchild with us some day. Our daughter was over 18 when she first got her passport, so at that age I don't think she even needed parent's consent to apply.

Archived