Hotel in Galveston or Houston?

kb1010

We are crusing out of Galveston in April and will be flying in the night before as we are coming from Seattle. I have never been to the area, and understand that the airport in Houston is about an hour to ninety minutes from the Galveston port. I am looking for opinions on if it is better to stay near the airport or get closer to the Galveston port, and also any recommendations on good hotels/transportation providers. Budget wise, I would prefer to be under $100 for the night.

Also, on the return -- I was going to book through Carnival for transporation back to the airport. The fee seemed reasonable, but are there better (good quality and cheaper) private providers?

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

We are crusing out of Galveston in April and will be flying in the night before as we are coming from Seattle. I have never been to the area, and understand that the airport in Houston is about an hour to ninety minutes from the Galveston port. I am looking for opinions on if it is better to stay near the airport or get closer to the Galveston port, and also any recommendations on good hotels/transportation providers. Budget wise, I would prefer to be under $100 for the night.

Also, on the return -- I was going to book through Carnival for transporation back to the airport. The fee seemed reasonable, but are there better (good quality and cheaper) private providers?

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

I'd suggest going to Galveston on arrival so you'll be well rested on boarding day.

Galveston has many good hotels.

Booking your return thru the cruise ship is a good option. It reduces the anxiety of traveling in an area you're not accustomed to.

Here's a listing of hotels:

http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/

P.S. It's ~78 miles to Galveston from IAH.

If you decide to overnite at or near IAH, there are several options available, including a Marriot within the airport.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/iahap-houston-airport-marriott-at-george-bush-intercontinental/

If that's too pricey, there are many hotels nearby:

http://www.hotels-rates.com/hotels/locations/Houston/TX/usa/79/?hr=bing&pn=888-683-5941&bingAdId=1454666748&searchTerm=iah%20hotels%20with%20free%20shuttle&matchType=b&bidMatchType=bb&bingKeywordId=11108876110

I second staying in Galveston. That way you are closer to the ship for embarkation time and aren't stressed out about the traffic and getting to the port on time. Plus there is nothing to do by IAH--I would much rather spend my time in Galveston! :)

I also recommend staying in Galveston. Just stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Jan. They have a brand new large van and are now transporting people from the airports.

Cost: Bush Intl - $125 (2 adults) and $15 extra person

Hobby - $85 (2 adults) and $10 extra person

I'm sure you have to stay at their hotel to get these transfers. I would call the hotel to get further info and prices.

I also recommend staying in Galveston. Just stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Jan. They have a brand new large van and are now transporting people from the airports.

Cost: Bush Intl - $125 (2 adults) and $15 extra person

Hobby - $85 (2 adults) and $10 extra person

I'm sure you have to stay at their hotel to get these transfers. I would call the hotel to get further info and prices.

Good information!

Thanks!

Archived