Our DIY St Martin Report - Marigot, Maho, Butterflies, LaGalion

VirtualRain

We are in St. Maarten next month and are thinking about doing this. How did you find the local drivers? and was parking relatively easy to find (and free?) at the spots you stopped?

The person you quoted had rented a car and drove themselves.

Which post are you referencing about local drivers?

gary

The person you quoted had rented a car and drove themselves.

Which post are you referencing about local drivers?

gary

YES, I understand they rented and drove a care themselves, thus the reason for my question, how did the find the local drivers (meaning, are the other "local" drivers on the roads crazy? good drivers? etc)

YES, I understand they rented and drove a care themselves, thus the reason for my question, how did the find the local drivers (meaning, are the other "local" drivers on the roads crazy? good drivers? etc)

OK, thanks, now I understand your question.

We find most drivers on the island to be very courteous and friendly, letting you into a flow of traffic, etc. A flash of the headlights or a quick 'toot' of the horn to acknowledge their action is appropriate.

What we do not appreciate is the flow of what is known on the island as 'suicycles', those riding scooters and motorcycles that dart in and out of traffic, passing where not allowed, riding the 'third lane' down the center of the road at high speed, etc. Suicide on wheels. These riders seem to have a death wish, and many achieve that wish.

gary

OK, thanks, now I understand your question.

We find most drivers on the island to be very courteous and friendly, letting you into a flow of traffic, etc. A flash of the headlights or a quick 'toot' of the horn to acknowledge their action is appropriate.

What we do not appreciate is the flow of what is known on the island as 'suicycles', those riding scooters and motorcycles that dart in and out of traffic, passing where not allowed, riding the 'third lane' down the center of the road at high speed, etc. Suicide on wheels. These riders seem to have a death wish, and many achieve that wish.

gary

Yeah, the scooters are a bit annoying but we got used to them pretty quick. Overall, driving was pretty easy. 6 ships in port, so traffic was a bit bad around the port. Marigot was horrendous. Otherwise, easy driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Gary - We are interested in part of this itinerary...going to La Galion and Maho and then back to the cruise ship area. What route would we take and would we have to go over the bridge? When I try plugging it into google maps it doesn't take me to Marigot so I'm a little confused.

Thank you VirtualRain, your report is excellent. We picked up on your plans in your initial post and do appreciate that you wrote when you returned. It sounds like you did an amazing job of fitting in your choices within the time in port.

Seems like you had a wonderful time, thank you again for all your helpful information.

Thank you so much for your report VirtualRain! I used your DIY reports extensively on my Greek Island cruise in July. We even rented a car in Corfu (a first for us), and followed your day almost exactly! I was so excited to see your report on St. Martin! Are you writing a report on St. Thomas too?

Gary - We are interested in part of this itinerary...going to La Galion and Maho and then back to the cruise ship area. What route would we take and would we have to go over the bridge? When I try plugging it into google maps it doesn't take me to Marigot so I'm a little confused.

newcruiser6,

Could you start a new thread with your question, so as to not distract from VirtualRain's excellent post?

And where does Google Maps route you? I think I'd head through Marigot.

gary