reflection mdr vs blu

stavy

So...how would you compare the MDR to Blu on the Reflection? Trying to decide which category to go with...did aqua last cruise and enjoyed it but haven't done mdr on an s class ship...Any pros and cons?

I've done both. It depends on the cost for me. I just got off of the Eclipse and dined in the MDR. The food was generally good, but not great. I was with a group and we all decided to eat in the MDR and save the money.

I am sailing on the Equinox in April and I chose a suite so I could have access to Blu.

There is no question that the food is better in Blu. I don't like how the tables are positioned so close together though.

Go with Blu. We sailed on the Silhouette and were in AQ and loved Blu so much we never ate in any other restaurant. It was not just the food but the service and personnel in the dining room were great! Breakfast was hot, special and more choices than the main dining room. Have eaten and both and would choose Blu every time. We are sailing on the Reflection in a few weeks with friends and they did not want to limit themselves to Blu so we are sailing in CC. Will miss Blu this time around but will choose Blu and AQ on our next trip.

Happy Sailing!

That's actually a really good question you've asked! The food in Blu is wonderful, there's no debate about that. I like the feeling of dining in a nice restaurant and I like the way it takes only one time for the host or hostess to know who we are and seat us where we like. It's definitely a more intimate experience in Blu. However, I sometimes miss the comraderie of a big table. We've had some absolutely marvelous table mates in the MDR and have made good friends. In Blu, you can certainly talk to whomever is seated nearby--most people love to do it--but it's not the same as sitting down at a good old 8 top or 10 top with the same people night in and night out. If we ever went non-Aqua, it would simply be because I missed the big table and the traditional cruise dining experience, and for no other reason.

Athough (to tell you the truth) the big table might be the exact reason TO book Aqua. LOL :D

We are a group of 10 all travelling Aqua Class, can we sit together in Blu?

Yup! You might want to give the Maitre'd a call the first night so he knows to have a table of 10 set up. I'm not sure I saw anything larger than a single 8-top when I was in Blu but that was on a smaller Millennium-class ship.

I've never had an AQ cabin so I have no experience of Blu, but my inclination is against it. We love the big tables, regular dining companions thing - on our last Celebrity cruise we had an 8 seat table with excellent companions right in the middle of the MDR underneath the big chandelier, and we loved it. We could be noisy, laugh and talk as much and as loudly as we wanted, and be comfortable that we weren't seriously disturbing other people - the MDR is not a quiet place. So if that's not your thing then that might point towards Blu.

Then there's breakfast & lunch. We are very light, very simple eaters during the day - for us, dinner is by far the main meal. I have a bit of cereal (muesli if I can get it) plus a fresh bread roll for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch. Again, I've found that the buffet provides what I want for these meals.

But you know what you like to eat, and with what sort of company and ambience.

We made friends on cruise critic pre cruise and had a meeting of friends while just boarding the ship. Most of us were AQ so there were nights we ate together and nights we ate alone. There was a table of 10 next to us one night and we had a table of 8.

No matter where you dine you will BE ON VACATION! So enjoy:D

Happy Sailing.

Archived