Port Galveston-Renting oxygen and powerchair.

dresehand

My aunt is traveling with us and will require a powered scooter/chair and is on 24/7 oxygen so I have been exploring numerous options including the companies that rent and cater to the cruise lines. We are getting in the day before the cruise and the day after, staying in Houston. It seems all of the companies I have checked that other members are discussing can be quite expensive for the 8 days we will need the items. My thought was contacting a local medical supply in Houston as their prices seem much cheaper and see if they would deliver and pickup from the hotel. Has anyone else done this? My aunt will have a POC through her flight and to the port but we felt she needed something more long-term on the ship. I honestly do not know a lot about POCs so I do not know if one with batteries would last the whole cruise or we do need something else on board and can obtain this from a local supply company. Any suggestions?

I believe that the cruise lines will allow you to bring aboard your own scooter and oxygen concentrator. However for a company to supply them, they must be "approved" by the cruise line. So I'm not sure a company in Houston would be allowed to deliver the equipment to your room unless it is the approved one.

Depending upon your needs, the POC should be sufficient for use in your cabin. Most will supply oxygen either via a battery, or by electric plug in. So read up on the specs for the poc you will have with you.

Scooter - well if you can bring your own (do you have one of your own?) that would be best (handicap room necessary!!!), otherwise you must rent from the approved agency.

Your BEST answers will come from the cruiseline special needs department. Contact them - they are very knowledgeable and extreemely easy to work with.

I forgot about everything having to be approved. We will most likely try to rent the powerchair and have it dropped off at our hotel (we are choosing not to fly with this as it is quite a chore) before we go to the port but obviously we will have to contact the approved companies for the oxygen, which it sounds like will be more of a backup as she is oxygen dependent 24/7. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know of a local Houston company who rents the powerchairs and delivers and picks up at the hotel?

Archived