Caen 'on your own tour from Le Havre

englander

We are looking for ways to get from Le Havre to Caen to see their museum on Jun 4th, 2013. Found a 'Affordable Cruise Excursions' (ACE) online which offers a "Caen On Your Own" which provides the transportation to/from Caen and gives 4 hrs of time on your own there. Any ideas out there?

It's a real pig of a journey by train or bus. Several changes by train & very time-consuming by either. I think a rented car or that tour bus (I've never heard of it before) are the only practical ways to do it.

You can easily spend 3hrs+ in the Peace Museum.

Which is useful, cos I don't think Caen has anything else to offer!

I'd seen enough of the museum in about 90mins, but that's me & not you ;)

The Museum is away from the city centre, just off Caen's peripherique (ring road) but the city was left in ruins in 1944, so it's a new town.

Despite its location, the museum is not a D-Day museum - in fact D-Day gets very little attention. The main focus is on the holocaust.

About 6 miles / 10 mins north of the museum is the Pegasus Bridge & museum at Benouville - the easternmost end of the D-Day operations & the first objective captured, by airborne forces around midnight. Worth an hour or more, but it'd need a taxi.

Bayeux is about 18 miles west, but your time constraints mean you'd need to do it by taxi & I'm not sure you could do justice to both the Peace Museum & Bayeux.

JB :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks John -

We have been to Bayeaux twice; once we stayed in hotel there for couple days and saw a lot of Normandy places.

I never heard back from that tour outfit. Guess they no longer exist?

I saw there is a bus #20 on www.busvert.fr but I don't know any French so it's hard to be sure I am understanding it correctly. Looks like the bus goes from LeHavre thru Honfleur to Caen, taking about 2.5 hrs. Can't find the cost.

But I think we have abandoned that idea altogether and will do something more local in Le Havre, or just stay on the ship.

Susan

Archived