First time Princess

kruzgal

We are looking for a cruise this summer, probably Europe, and are seriously considering Princess. Previously we sailed RCCL and Celebrity (our favourite of the 2) but really fancy a change. We usually book way ahead but decided this year to take our chances and see what comes up. We are reasonably flexible with dates/itinerary. Never having booked Princess before I was wondering if anyone (particularly from the UK as these things differ from country to country) can give me any advice about booking. Is it generally cheaper to book through a TA? When is final payment? - I am presuming prices will drop after this as they are a little high at the moment. Anything I need to know, particularly any differences to Celebrity? I would love to sail the Royal but that may be a stretch too far!

Although its generally now considered that the price of the cruise is the same if you book direct with the cruise company or use a TA, we have always booked through a TA and most times got some discount, ranging from around £20 to around £200pp, so it is worth doing a bit of comparing and shopping round. I also like to use a local TA as they can follow things up if necessary, rather than me spend hours on the phone!

There are some good deals around at the moment, but if you are not fussed what cabin you have and where on the ship this will be, it's usually better to go for a guarantee, with the hope that you will be upgraded.

Saying that, we always book early as we much prefer to choose our deck and cabin. We originally looked at the med for this year on the Royal, but prices were really high at that time, and if you could get on, I doubt they would be reduced due to her being a new ship and very popular. You may get a better deal trying one of the other Princess ships.

As Celebrity were offering a very good deal when were looking, and the price for their cruise was around £1000 less than the Royal at the time, there was no contest! I know you said you felt like having a change, but Celebrity have also got a good offer on at present with their drinks package, so if this appeals to you, it may be worth considering.

There are three cruise programmes on TV freeview over the week (I won't be allowed to say the TAs name), and they have some good cruise deals, so it may be worth having a look at that.

As far as final payment is concerned, it's usually around 12 - 14 weeks before cruising that payment is due, and the TA generally wants the money a few weeks before the date the cruise line gives.

I don't know if any of this is any use to you kruzgal, but hope it is.

Have a great cruise, whoever you go with.

We are looking for a cruise this summer, probably Europe, and are seriously considering Princess. Previously we sailed RCCL and Celebrity (our favourite of the 2) but really fancy a change. We usually book way ahead but decided this year to take our chances and see what comes up. We are reasonably flexible with dates/itinerary. Never having booked Princess before I was wondering if anyone (particularly from the UK as these things differ from country to country) can give me any advice about booking. Is it generally cheaper to book through a TA? When is final payment? - I am presuming prices will drop after this as they are a little high at the moment. Anything I need to know, particularly any differences to Celebrity? I would love to sail the Royal but that may be a stretch too far!

Find a GOOD Travel Agent. He or she will look out for you. I think it is always better to have a TA, especially since it does not cost any more to book through one.

These days TAs are not giving discounts on P&O or Princess.

I asked our TA what benefits I will get by booking with them and was told they were looking into customer loyalty as they do not now get discounting these cruises.

Saying that, they keep an eye on cruise prices for you and let you know when there is a price drop.

These days TAs are not giving discounts on P&O or Princess.

I asked our TA what benefits I will get by booking with them and was told they were looking into customer loyalty as they do not now get discounting these cruises.

Saying that, they keep an eye on cruise prices for you and let you know when there is a price drop.

When we booked our last Princess cruise we got a discount and we are booked on the Ventura next xmas and got a discount on that one too. The discounts I've got since "the TAs don't offer discounts anymore" have ranged from around £20 to about £200pp, so it is certainly worth having.

I can only tell you what my experience has been and this is it.

Thanks everyone - all very helpful. I think I will try and create a list of possible cruises within our time frame, from several cruise lines, and book once we feel comfortable with the price/itinerary etc. I have used the same TA for several years to book cruises on Celebrity so I will probably go back to them initially. If it was just my husband and I we would stick with Celebrity, but our teens are wanting a change and I think Princess may offer them a bit more. Thanks for your contributions!

Archived