Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Update. First tug arrived at 3:01pm central time. Some power has been restored for charging of phone and other things. Wait time for that is about 1 1/2 hours. All passengers if they want it are receiving bread, veggies, fruit, water, etc. Lines for food and drink are long and wait times are several hours. Some rooms are getting power on outside plugs or inside I am not sure which.

Carnival is not giving out any information about when they will have flight information for the passengers. I have heard Carnival is going to bus everyone about 1 hour away once they reach port to get on planes and fly to their destinations. Most will go to Houston and then be bused to Galveston.

Both the Coast Guard and Carnival are sending information. The Carnival help line has had some information but most of mine is coming from my wife, her friends on board or this board.

I asked Kelli what was on the menu- She said they are eating vegtable sandwiches.

If sombody was evacuated due to a broken leg, it was probably a crew member that met up with this bunch of P.O.ed Texas womenfolk! :D

I asked her if they are being towed yet. Waiting for reply. It takes a long time from when she sends and I receive the text.

Just got another text from Kelli, onboard Triumph. I had texted her back telling her what Carnival says about half of the bathrooms working. Here was her reply-

"BULLSH#T! The cabins are overflowing with pee!"

Does your wife have a PP on her to fly back into Texas? Are they telling the pax that they have obtained a waiver from Homeland Security and can fly in without delay, or are the ones traveling without going to be stuck until paperwork comes through?

Ugh, that poor girl. What an awesome way to have a Bachelorette party -- omg, i would have loved that -- the coolest thing. Feel so bad this happened to her -- to all of them.:(

I just rec'd a text from my wife. - NO POTTIES ARE WORKING!

That was all it said. My friends wife sent him a text that was broken up in the middle and di not complete.

Sounds like Carnival is blowing smoke up everyones #ss to me.

Wow! I hope she is not too miserable. :( She will just have to be patient.

I am sure Carnival is doing their best right now. But it just comes too little too late for some. There have been so many CC reports about those darn propulsion issues lately and Carnival obviously didn't take them seriously enough.

Update. First tug arrived at 3:01pm central time. Some power has been restored for charging of phone and other things. Wait time for that is about 1 1/2 hours. All passengers if they want it are receiving bread, veggies, fruit, water, etc. Lines for food and drink are long and wait times are several hours. Some rooms are getting power on outside plugs or inside I am not sure which.

Carnival is not giving out any information about when they will have flight information for the passengers. I have heard Carnival is going to bus everyone about 1 hour away once they reach port to get on planes and fly to their destinations. Most will go to Houston and then be bused to Galveston.

Both the Coast Guard and Carnival are sending information. The Carnival help line has had some information but most of mine is coming from my wife, her friends on board or this board.

Thank you very much for the update!

The USCG has every right to board the ship for any reason or no reason at all.

Some reasons would be to assure that the fire is out and to assist in any damage assessments and preliminary investigation, passenger evaluations, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. In U.S. waters yes. However, a foreign flagged vessel in international waters? I seriously doubt it!

Doesn't matter that there are U.S. citizens onboard. They made a choice to board on their own free will.

If it was a life threatening situation, that might be different and I'm sure some protocol is in place for that. However, the CG cannot just board a foreign vessel in international waters for "any reason or no reason at all" as you put it!

Propulsion is such a broad topic as to be meaningless. Lots of things are raised on CC that turn out to be false, if not deliberate fabrications.

It makes no sense to deny the fact that the Triumph had multiple propulsion issues since December.

The thread I quoted had four (4) separate accounts of it in CC reviews, plus the OP's story, that is five (5). Then there are more accounts in this thread.

I do not understand how they can all be deliberate fabrications?

Does your wife have a PP on her to fly back into Texas? Are they telling the pax that they have obtained a waiver from Homeland Security and can fly in without delay, or are the ones traveling without going to be stuck until paperwork comes through?

Ugh, that poor girl. What an awesome way to have a Bachelorette party -- omg, i would have loved that -- the coolest thing. Feel so bad this happened to her -- to all of them.:(

Yes she has a passport.

Just broadcast on a Houston TV station:

o Tugs 17 miles from ship

o A second person was evacuated, this one with a broken leg, cause not given

o Passengers to be flown to Houston Thursday

o Passengers who need to return to Galvestion will be bussed there from the Houston airport.

(By the way, the airport would have to be IAH. HOU does not have immigration and customs personnel.)

Good news.

Actually, Hobby does have a US Customs Office, it's just large enough for general aviation however.

Just got another text from Kelli, onboard Triumph. I had texted her back telling her what Carnival says about half of the bathrooms working. Here was her reply-

Time to head to the Lido deck. :D

Hope they will be off the ship and headed home soon. It will be a memorable cruise

Not sure I would want to be on the Triumph far a long time after this. Sounds like a major cleanup.

The Triumph had issues early last year as well

Feb 2012 I watched as scuba divers went under the stern for an hour or so.

During that cruise I felt the screws a heck of alot more thn the first time I was on her. Almost excact same cabin both times.

The last time we were all the way forward and didnt notice it

Ok, they are 150 miles from land am I correct?

They are waiting for a tugboat, correct?

Now...let's digest my next question very carefully before anyone chews it up and spits it up...because there may just be some validity to it and I know the fine folks here at CC will let me know if that is so...

Why don't they just manually lower the lifeboats and go to shore?

Why not just leave enough crew onboard to wait for the tug and offload the pax to the lifeboats?

The lifeboats are motorized so who long would it take to reach shore?

If begun at 6am, it would still be light when they reach shore I would think.

I doubt anyone is sleeping anyway and the kids are probably desperate by now and I would think putting pax in a lifeboat would shut up most of the big mouths.

The pax of course could also voluntarily stay behind with crew and then take a slow tugboat ride into port on a smelly ship.

Ok, experts out there, go to town!:D

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they lacking bathrooms as well.

Not to mention, wouldn't everyone want to take a suitcase or 2?

Man this is ONE FAST MOVING thread!

I feel for those onboard - having only briefly experienced something similar on the Dream (1 hour with the same conditions).

Sure it looks bad to have an issue affecting the ship after weeks of propulsion problems - but at this point it could be totally unrelated.

Time will tell.

Tom

Thanks for the update.

Technically, they didn't say bathrooms were working, they said the forward sewage system was repaired. Not sure what that translates to in terms of toilets working. But none that this pax is aware of, it seems.

how does this all work, does carnival book and pay for everyone's flights? or do you have to book and pay for your own and then submit for reimbursement?

And what happens if you dont have a passport??

I think they will have multiple chartered jets awaiting thier arrival

And they are working around the lack of Passports

my husband and I were scheduled to sail on the Triumph 2 weeks ago. they emailed us the night before to tell us one of the ships engine malfunctioned and they were departing with only one operational engine. We decided not to go on the cruise. Carnival knew they had a problem long before the fire occurred with their only ONE operational engine. Why are they not fixing their issues. its ridiculous to send a ship out into the gulf knowing there could be a potential disaster.:mad:

Archived