Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Id be interested in report #4523900 dates 28 Jan 2013 concerning shorting of a generator cable .... Click the buttom on the bottom to open the inspection list.

Vessel reported a short in the high voltage connection box of one of the ships generators causing damage to cables within the connection box. The condition of the ship and its equipment shall be maintained to conform with the... ..regulations to ensure that the ship in all respects will remain fit to proceed to sea without danger to the ship or persons on board. 50AC SOLAS 2009 CH1 reg 11.

billd

Shows that the issue was not resolved either... (resolved = false).

It's been attempted, though. Norwegian did it and while it's still in service, they haven't done it again.

It's probably not cost effective to support rates as they are, even if the building requirement was waived.

I believe it took an act of congress , perhaps you can inform me on that

regards

John Fisher Royal Navy (retired)

Nobody seems to be discussing what could have happened. Had the ship lost power in bad weather near a shore, we could be mourning the lives of all these people. Carnival needs to take the seaworthiness of their ships seriously. This shouldn't keep happening.

Or what I brought up with is what if were to happen to one of the megaships that are up to twice as large as Carnival Triumph. People must want to enjoy their booked cruise, accept the risk, and not want to think about it. I think cruise lines need to reassess the megaship contingency plans.

I believe it took an act of congress , perhaps you can inform me on that

regards

John Fisher Royal Navy (retired)

It would have to be. IIRC, the Pride of America has an American crew, for example. Or a crew that has a far higher concentration of Americans, which is to say, more than one.

The crew is the real group of heroes here. I hope they are generously compensated. Carnival, these people are your one saving grace in this incident.

I have not heard one negative thing about the crew. It sounds like they have just done an outstanding job under the circumstances. I sure hope that Carnival will take good care of them. There's a ton of live interviews on several networks and I'm so glad the passengers all seem to be mentioning what a great job the crew has done.

This is probably one of the few cruises you could steal the bathrobes and not get in trouble.

Oh, I would totally be wearing my bathrobe off the ship, and taking my bedsheet tent too! :D

Here's a note for those contemplating a class action lawsuit, derived from the Ticket Contract of Carnival Cruise Lines:

13. CLASS ACTION WAIVER

THIS CONTRACT PROVIDES FOR THE EXCLUSIVE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES THROUGH INDIVIDUAL LEGAL ACTION ON GUEST'S OWN BEHALF INSTEAD OF THROUGH ANY CLASS ACTION. EVEN IF THE APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, GUEST AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY GUEST INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND GUEST EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING GUEST TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF GUEST'S CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION UNDER CLAUSE 12 (d) ABOVE, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. GUEST AGREES THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 12 (d) ABOVE, AND IF FOR ANY REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION.

Archived