Biscuits and Gravy

fakeanne

I never thought this question would create such a discussion. LOL!! My sister just returned from living in the UK, so I am sure she will appreciate this discussion. Anyway, has anyone ever tasted any good biscuits and gravy on teh Carribean Princess? I can't have vacation without some good biscuits and gravy at least once.

Bisquits and gravy:

Gravy – white, cream gravy with pepper; flavored with or without sausage. Pillsbury flaky bisquits. Put gravy in a bowl, crumble the bisquits in. Flavor with hot sauce, eat with a spoon. Gets every drop.

Oh NO, never packaged pre-made Pillsbury Biscuits. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Need to have nice homemade flaky biscuits to complete the package.

And yes, bulk sausage is that which does not come in a casing, just ground up sausage meat.

LOL reading all these posts.

I'm not from the south, but my father was, so while I never had biscuits and gravy or grits until I was an adult, I love both.

There have been grits on every Princess ship I've been on, in the Horizon buffet. And they were pretty good, too. I'm guessing anyone who "didn't see them", saw them, but didn't know they were grits.

I noticed biscuits and gravy on our most recent cruise on the Dawn. The biscuits were like a ton of bricks, way too heavy and the gravy was like peppery glue - horrible.

as mentioned by last poster, please do not mistake shipboard biscuits and gravy as the model of what americans hold dear. same with grits.

there is an art to these country mainstays. they're not fancy, but boy can people mess them up.

i'd be especially wary of the grits. served alone with butter (as i've seen them on board), they are lifeless goop. but in a southerner's hands, with some shrimp, bacon and spice...stand back...even the vegetarians are running forward, fork in hand : )

that said, i'll pass on the pimms and on the marmite (sp?). to each his own.

This is an interesting discussion! As someone who was born and raised and still living in the South, I can speak from experience that out of 11 cruises between Carnival and Royal Caribbean, no one has ever come close to anything a Southerner would consider a biscuit, gravy, or grits! Like previous posters, the biscuits were like rock hard hockey pucks. A biscuit here in Georgia is nice, warm, flaky and made with buttermilk. All I can say is YUM!! I'm especially fond of eating my biscuits with a pat of butter and some really good honey. I'm not so much for the "biscuits and gravy", but as previously posted, sausage gravy is a gravy made with the fat drippings from sausage being fried in the skillet, some broken up sausage, flour and milk. It's only edible if its made by someone who is a true Southern cook. There is a knack to gravy, ya know. It's not the easiest thing to make and is very easily ruined if you don't know what you're doing. The stuff they pass off on the cruise ships as sausage gravy looks and smells like Elmer's school glue!:eek: As far as grits go, it is coursely ground white corn that is cooked for a long time on a low heat on the stove with water, butter, and salt that is MOST delicious with sharp cheddar cheese! That's pretty much the only way to eat grits, IMHO. Next time anyone is in the South, try any of these items from the breakfast menu. I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised.:D

Okay, in travel food there is an amazing coincidence, Grits, Polenta, Poi, and cream of wheat are very similar in construct but taste amazingly icky for those who come from a different culture. Its one of those delights of trying food from different places.

How likely is it that I could write in an order for biscuits and gravy on the room sevice card and actually get them? Do they serve good down home breakfast food like hashbrowns, bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy? Or, am I stuck with fruit and yogurt for the week??

I don't know what ship you are on but if it is RCI you don't want them. They are truly awful. Not just hubbies opinion, the opinion of everyone we know that tried them (lol)

Tucker in Texas

On the Coral, I ordered grits for breakfast in the room, and I got GRAPES instead.

I'll be on the Coral and want my GRITS.:)

I had great grits on RCCL's AOS. They really have to cook long to taste great! Cooking them in some milk, along with the water (hard salt water is best) makes the grits wonderful. With purification systems, the hard water is not easy to find. They still have it on the coast of SC, so when we go to the beach, we always fix grits for breakfast. Serve with salt, pepper and butter for the tastiest.

I don't care for biscuits and gravy, but love biscuits and jelly. If I have any type of gravy, I prefer "red eye", made from country ham. That's pretty good and also taste great on grits.

Bacon, sausage and syrup go hand in hand in our house.:D

I am from the South and grew up eating country breakfast. Whatever that white stuff that they have available in he Horizon Court is...it is not sausage/cream gravy.(on the Grand) I believe that they took white chalk, crumbled it up and heated it with water. I truly was scared to eat it. I have never seen cream gravy that was solid white!!! At least the biscuits looked like biscuits. Just don't drop one on your foot! LOL

Grits Great on Grand.

Grits Great on Golden.

Couldn't find them on the Coral. Gravy and Biscuits on the Grand were odd. Biscuits were average to okay. The gravy was exactly as previously described here by others: white, chalky, tasteless, and generally horrific.

Eggs are a stand-out - benedict, scrambled, or made to order at the omelet station.

QUOTE]

Since it's too late to edit, and I just read cworld's comment about the scrambled eggs on his thread, and remembered, oh yeah, they were industrial military powdered scrambled eggs at the buffet! The good scrambled were from the dining room. The eggs benedict and the omelets were good, but on second thought, skip the scrambled.

Archived