NCL and Upgrades

Bumping up in hopes shore Guy can give me a hint as to what I should do now that I am sure my agent has never even heard of upselling.

Alex

Give your TA the phone number. Tell them that NCL offers upsells at special rates on a space available basis post final. Tell them to call and let NCL know you are interested.

You can try calling yourself but with the new program they may not talk with you. At a minmum you may be able to find out if there are upsells available for your cruise. If they answer is yes that is one more piece of info you need to pass onto your TA. Let them know you are doing their job :eek:

Good luck

I had the same problem - TA didn't understand the term 'upsell'. I contacted NCL directly and they were willing to mark my booking interested in an upsell. I then called my TA AGAIN and got another agent that finally knew what I was talking about. She called NCL while I was on the phone, but it was too late for an upsell as our cruise is in 3 weeks and higher categories are not available. If you are not having any luck with your TA, then I would call NCL and ask them to mark your booking like I did and ask if any higher categories are available for an upsell. At least you have the piece of mind to know that NCL knows you are interested. BTW my TA told me (for what it's worth) that upsells are not as frequent as one would believe from reading this MB but she has received calls from NCL for upsell offers as late as 3 days before sailing. So don't give up. Dreaming is part of the fun, right? Happy Sailing!

I called NCL's "upsell" desk about three weeks prior to our last cruise (it was a Friday evening), and told them that we were interested in a specific cabin. They told me they would call our TA (we booked on line) if an "upsell" became available, and that the new "grids" come out on Monday. Sure enough, late Monday afternoon, our TA called to tell us that NCL had called her asking us if we wanted to upgrade, and that the specific cabin we wanted was available. Of course we told her yes; she put us on hold while she contacted NCL. Unfortunately the cabin we wanted was no longer available, and what they did have did not suit us (totally obstructed or too far forward or aft). I was a little upset because I'm sure NCL called the TA in the morning, but she didn't call us until late (4:30-5:00) in the afternoon. NCL would also offer us a suite (this was on the Majesty) for an additional $700 :eek: -- we said no thanks, a suite on that ship is not worth that much more money!

Later on in the week (Wednesday or Thursday) I went on line to see what was available, and, sure enough, the cabin we had originally wanted was available again! I called our TA to see if NCL would give us the upgrade at the price we had talked about earlier in the week; she put me on hold while she called NCL, and we got our cabin!

In our case, I guess it paid off to contact NCL to let them know we were interested in an upgrade/upsell, and the specific cabin(s) we were interested in -- the squeeky wheel gets the grease?? :D

I called NCL's "upsell" desk about three weeks prior to our last cruise (it was a Friday evening), and told them that we were interested in a specific cabin. They told me they would call our TA (we booked on line) if an "upsell" became available, and that the new "grids" come out on Monday. Sure enough, late Monday afternoon, our TA called to tell us that NCL had called her asking us if we wanted to upgrade, and that the specific cabin we wanted was available. Of course we told her yes; she put us on hold while she contacted NCL. Unfortunately the cabin we wanted was no longer available, and what they did have did not suit us (totally obstructed or too far forward or aft). I was a little upset because I'm sure NCL called the TA in the morning, but she didn't call us until late (4:30-5:00) in the afternoon.

The same thing happened to me. THREE TIMES. The cruise broker called back the next day or not at all and just said sorry upgrades are gone. I called on Monday, new it was open, they just did not want to do the work for the few $100 in extra revenue. Most of these agents are measured on new bookings not helping us take advantage of upsells.

That is why I am willing to pay a "small" premium and book direct.

I am calling Monday morning -- first NCL then my so called TA, keeping our hopes low.

I am afraid it won't happen as we leave in August and had to pay 100% at booking since it was close. The TA did say it was a lattitude fare so chances were low for any upgrade or anything -- is that true?

Alex

I am calling Monday morning -- first NCL then my so called TA, keeping our hopes low.

I am afraid it won't happen as we leave in August and had to pay 100% at booking since it was close. The TA did say it was a lattitude fare so chances were low for any upgrade or anything -- is that true?

Alex

NOPE :mad: As a Lattitude member you are more likely to be called by the upsell desk Remember there is a big difference between upgrades (free) and upsell ($).

We have a room on the 8th floor that says it is somewhat ubstructed by the lifeboats and would love to move -- what type of prices are we talking for a small upsell?

This would be on the dream - also how would I know what rooms were left?

Chloe

Every upsell price is different depending on how much you paid for your category and what category is available for an upsell for your cruise. You can find which category/cabins are available by searching on NCL's website under voyage/pricing at the top of the home page. Answer the questions that pertain to your cruise, hit enter, another screen will list sail dates; select yours, and available categories will show up. Click on select for the category you are interested in upgrading to and a list of available cabins will be listed. They only show six cabins at a time so there may be others. Happy Sailing!

I must say the system came through for me today.

I gave the # to my TA today and explained how it works and went from a AF Minisuite to a AE Penthouse for $250.00 per person and saved over $1,000.00 per person than if I would have book the paenthouse to begin with needless to say I'm happy.

PS:I offered them $200.00 per person they would not take it.

3dblouder

Booking a guarantee reservation means that you are guaranteed at least the category cabin your are booked in. In other words, a Cat N guarantee is guaranteed no worse than a Cat N and a Cat M guarantee is guaranteed no worse than a Cat M. Once final payment date is passed, the cruise lines will begin assigning cabins to the guarantees, starting with the highest category guarantees and assigning the highest available cabin to the oldes booked guarantee in that category. Then they work their way down, always assigning at least the category of the guarantee to each guarantee reservation. In some rare instances, as sailing date nears, people in lower priced cabins will be moved up to higher priced cabins to make the lower priced cabins available again to people still looking for the lower price. A woman in my office was booked in a Cat "Eye" on Grandeur out of Baltimore to Bermuda in May this year and was upgraded to a big Junior Suite with a balcony so RCCL could continue selling lower price cabins and fill up the ship. I was once upgraded from a Cat K inside on Norwegian Sky in Alaska to a Cat EE on deck 8, which was a big jump up. Again NCL probably needed the lower priced cabins available to fill the ship and we made out. I have found that it always pays to book a guarantee on NCL. This past winter we were upgraded from a Cat H on Spirit to a Cat CC on a 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise. Princess is also a good cruise line for making out with guarantees. I have found that RCCL and Celebrity generally don't give as many upgrades on guarantees (the woman being the one major exception that I know).

I just called NCL about an upsell on our cruise July 10--they said that none were available but on the NCL website there are still several Romance and Penthouse suites still available for our date. Should I try again in a few days or what do you think the deal is?

We're sailing on the Oct. 8th. Star to Acapulco cruise. I asked my TA to call NCL today about an upsell, as there are plenty of upgrade possibilities available above our cat. AF mini. My TA was told there is no upsell program. Is this another case of it depends on who you talk to? I'll try myself tomorrow and see if I can get a different reaction. Just hoping the upsell is not just a myth.

I think your TA has to call the reaccommodation desk 800# for upsells. Maybe she was calling the general reservation # instead. As for the poster that said they were told nothing was available yet NCL's website showed cabins available, I had the same thing happen to me regarding a 7/2/05 Spirit sailing. I don't think their website is real time and current. Today I checked and there were a few categories available. Then 1 hr later the entire sailing disappeared from their website. When NCL was called, they said the sailing was sold out. Happy Sailing!

So now the question is - are you going to use this TA again? Seems like you did their job for them and informed them of something they get paid to know. What benefit were they?

Peter

I will still use my travel agent she works hard for me and has come through for me time and time again she just didn't have the 800 #.

she called the regular # on friday and was told there where no upsales and on monday with the 800 # the deal was done.

She thanked me for the number and will work even harder for me now.

remember we called the week my final payment was due I think that is a key part to this plan.

3dblouder

This is just my humble opinion (about the suites) -- for the price, they're not all that much bigger than, say, a balcony stateroom on the Dawn (an AB suite on the Majesty is 235 SF, a balcony stateroom on the Dawn is 166 SF plus 37-54 SF for the balcony = 203 to 220 SF), and a mini-suite on the Dawn is 283 SF. For all that extra money you pay for the suite on the Majesty, you don't even have a balcony (though I guess there are a few perks to having a suite). Personally (and this is JMHO) for the amount of time we spend in our stateroom on the Majesty, we'd just as soon save our money and get either a regular or superior ocean view stateroom on this ship, and spend more money on a balcony stateroom on a larger ship. ;)

Are you doing the Bermuda cruise? This is the one we have always done on the Majesty, and we're NEVER in our stateroom (except to shower, change or sleep)! In fact, if we can find a good deal, we may try to go to Bermuda again before the end of the summer, and would even consider an inside stateroom if that's the best deal we find...

Good point Welove2cruise2. It's a matter of how much time you spend in our cabin as to whether or not the extra $$ are worth it. Most are thinking they can get a nice deal thru an upsell but really if a bargain doesn't happen, it's not that big of a deal if you aren't in your cabin that much. I'm happy with my balcony. Happy Sailing!

Since my TA didn't have any luck yesterday with the upsell, I called this morning and talked to a NCL rep.. She was more than happy to put me on the list. She just stated that they would contact my TA if and when something becomes available and then he would contact me. I gave her my booking number, cabin number and names on the booking. We'll wait and see.

This is just my humble opinion (about the suites) -- for the price, they're not all that much bigger than, say, a balcony stateroom on the Dawn (an AB suite on the Majesty is 235 SF, a balcony stateroom on the Dawn is 166 SF plus 37-54 SF for the balcony = 203 to 220 SF), and a mini-suite on the Dawn is 283 SF. For all that extra money you pay for the suite on the Majesty, you don't even have a balcony (though I guess there are a few perks to having a suite). Personally (and this is JMHO) for the amount of time we spend in our stateroom on the Majesty, we'd just as soon save our money and get either a regular or superior ocean view stateroom on this ship, and spend more money on a balcony stateroom on a larger ship. ;)

Are you doing the Bermuda cruise? This is the one we have always done on the Majesty, and we're NEVER in our stateroom (except to shower, change or sleep)! In fact, if we can find a good deal, we may try to go to Bermuda again before the end of the summer, and would even consider an inside stateroom if that's the best deal we find...

WeLove, we agree, even though this is our 1st cruise, cheapy cheapy is our best value for the majesty. 1st cruise and i dont plan to spend time in the room either, plus with two teens in same cabin, no hanky panky either so we go for the frugal way out, now then the next cruise will upgrade to a 11 day cruise with balcony, and upgrade to NO KIDS

We're currently booked in an AA Owner's Suite for our March Dawn sailing. We have also booked another suite for some friends, and have helped family with their balcony stateroom.

I read one post that said they were offered the upsell from AA to AI Garden Villa for $4000 total.

Does anyone know if NCL would simply use the fares we've paid for the other staterooms (um, FAR in excess of $4000), cancel those rooms and upsell them to someone else?

There are eight of us traveling and I think the Garden Villa would be a hoot, but we've already blown our cruise budget.

Thanks for advising, Carla

Archived