Sugar-Free Desserts

grizzbabe

I am going on my first on July 22, 2013. My husband's uncle is planning the cruise (it's a family thing!) so we have yet to receive very many details but based on the itinerary that he's sent us, it looks like we'll be on a 5-day Eastern Carribean cruise on the Carnival Victory. My question is this: has anyone tried the sugar-free desserts offered in the MDR. I'm a diabetic and would like to keep from going completely hog wild while on vacation. :D

I am going on my first on July 22, 2013. My husband's uncle is planning the cruise (it's a family thing!) so we have yet to receive very many details but based on the itinerary that he's sent us, it looks like we'll be on a 5-day Eastern Carribean cruise on the Carnival Victory. My question is this: has anyone tried the sugar-free desserts offered in the MDR. I'm a diabetic and would like to keep from going completely hog wild while on vacation. :D

They have at least one sugar free dessert on the menu every evening. I've tried most of them and I think they are pretty good....

My sister is a diabetic and one of her favorite treats in the MDR is to order the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake and a Cheese Plate and then eat it like a Fondue...a little bit of decadance, but within reason...the molten chocolate is so rich just a little bit seems like she is really splurging...

Sometimes she just orders fruit and a Cappucino (you have to pay for them now), but then sweetens up the Cappucino and it's a nice after dinner light dessert.

I have tried about every single one of them. I actually do not like the CMC or other rich desserts, so always order off of the Spa menu dessert selections. My favorites are; the Mandarin orange s/f cake, white on white coconut cake and the lemon dream cake. They have decent banana cake too, if you enjoy banana. There is also a pouched pear served one evening. They make all of their s/f desserts with Splenda and I cannot tell the diff. One s/f dessert to avoid, IMO, is the pumpkin pie. Horrid, really, really horrid.

:)

Carnival does offer sugar-free desserts, however, they are not lo-carb desserts which is what you should be looking for. About the lowest SF I could find on Carnival was their SF cheesecake. On the last 2 Carnival cruises we took, it wasn't offered. Maybe request it and they'll make it for you.

P.S. I ditto the SF pumpkin pie - worst ever!

I have tried all of their Sugar Free desserts. They are fine, can't tell the difference between them and regular ones. I started ordering the fruit plate with the cheese plate. Combined, they are great. The sugar free desserts may not be low carb, but they are good. Moderation is the key. I have seen some folks order 2 and 3 SF desserts at a time. Kinda doesn't make sense to want sugar free and then order 3.:D

I have had all of the MDR SF desserts. These are the SF desserts I remember:

Cheese cake

apple pie

pumkin pie

chocolate cake

coconut cake

lemon cake

orange cake

banana cake

All are very good and you would not know the difference between sugar and SF desserts. My favorite is the coconut cake. Enjoy them all and your cruise.

I like the sugar free sponge type cakes. Sometimes I order them when I don't want a heavy "fully loaded" dessert.

A question- I love coconut flavor, but not that shredded coconut flake stuff. I've never ordered it out of fear it would be covered in that. How is it actually? Is it made into it or maybe just on top where I could scrape it off?

I really like the sf desserts better than most of their desserts as I find most of them a little over the top in richness for me. My husband is a diabetic but if he is really watching what he should he will not eat these as the carb count exceeds what a diabetic in take should be.

There are fruit plates and sherbet is a good alternative as the portion tends to be pretty small.

The sugar free orange cake at the buffett and in the dining room is actually my favorite desert on the ship.

Banana Cake is my second favorite.

Hope you enjoy them all as much.

Bill

I have tried about every single one of them. I actually do not like the WCMC or other rich desserts, so always order off of the Spa menu dessert selections. My favorites are; the Mandarin orange s/f cake, white on white coconut cake and the lemon dream cake. They have decent banana cake too, if you enjoy banana. There is also a pouched pear served one evening. They make all of their s/f desserts with Splenda and I cannot tell the diff. One s/f dessert to avoid, IMO, is the pumpkin pie. Horrid, really, really horrid.

:)

Like! Couldn't agree more!!

Archived