Beware if You Drive to Florida to Cruise on RCI

kingsgirl

I'm the OP, and I have no idea how this has turned into a Canadians vs. American's thread.

Thank you specifically to those who have stood up for myself and other fellow Canadians.

I am with you on that! It seems that some SCATICO hate Canadians and Quebecistanians (what on earth does that mean). He keeps coming back with his messages of hate to the point of almost vomitting on us!!! Also CVU who does not want to be compared to Eastern Canadians....I never though people could be so rude to others.

I just returned from a cruise and drove to Florida and back. I am sorry to say that it is in Florida that I encountered the most impolite drivers , always in a rush, blowing their horn on other drivers, driving from right to left and again to right on the highway, while in all other states down the road, people were polite in their way of driving.

I think we can all (at least the Americans, Canadians, UK'ers) agree that no one likes the Quebecistanians.

See? Common ground! :) Everyone wins! HAHAHAHAHA

What the heck is a Quebecistanian? Speak for yourself. I love Quebecer's. Even the ones who so desperately want to separate from the rest of Canada.

I am Mexican, living in Mexico, so does that mean that I will.not be able to rent a car unless I have such permit? I was planning to rent one since I'll stay a couple of days after my cruise. Hum...
Please read post #2 of this thread which explains about how this law is being deferred. However, just in case I have purchased an IDP for my upcoming trip in May.

What the heck is a Quebecistanian?

People from the great country of Quebecistan, subcountry of Greater Canadia AKA Cunuckistan AKA America's hat!

I love the Canuckistanian peoples, but even the average folks know that Quebecistan is for heathens.

;)

I read earlier this week that the law was oficially replealed in the Florida Legislature. The International Licence is no longer needed.
The latest

Statement on FB Page

"Statement from Governor Scott Regarding the International Driver’s License Repeal

Tallahassee, Fla. – Governor Rick Scott today made the following statement regarding the progress of international driver’s license legislation:

Governor Scott said, “I applaud the Florida House of Representatives and the Senate Committee on Community Affairs for passing legislation to amend a state statute to improve driver’s license provisions for international visitors. The Senate Committee on Transportation and Representative Daniel Davis have done a great job of demonstrating that international visitors are welcome in Florida. This legislation promotes tourism and will ensure visitors from across the globe continue to choose Florida as their vacation and business destination. VISIT FLORIDA anticipates tourist spending will reach record levels and I look forward to signing this legislation when it reaches my desk.”

PR021413.pdf

What's the big deal, they are $15 dollars (US) plus the cost of 2 passport sized photo's. It seems like it is better to have and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
The big thing is that my drivers licence is already in English, and if I visit Florida every year, then I would have to purchase one of these every year as they expire after 12 months. Add that the to cost of the ESTA we 'aliens' have to purchase every 2 years to visit the US, it isn't really conducive for us to travel to the US.

The latest

Statement on FB Page

"Statement from Governor Scott Regarding the International Driver’s License Repeal

Tallahassee, Fla. – Governor Rick Scott today made the following statement regarding the progress of international driver’s license legislation:

Governor Scott said, “I applaud the Florida House of Representatives and the Senate Committee on Community Affairs for passing legislation to amend a state statute to improve driver’s license provisions for international visitors. The Senate Committee on Transportation and Representative Daniel Davis have done a great job of demonstrating that international visitors are welcome in Florida. This legislation promotes tourism and will ensure visitors from across the globe continue to choose Florida as their vacation and business destination. VISIT FLORIDA anticipates tourist spending will reach record levels and I look forward to signing this legislation when it reaches my desk.”

Finally common sense seems to prevail, thanks for posting.

I am with you on that! It seems that some SCATICO hate Canadians and Quebecistanians (what on earth does that mean). He keeps coming back with his messages of hate to the point of almost vomitting on us!!! Also CVU who does not want to be compared to Eastern Canadians....I never though people could be so rude to others.

I just returned from a cruise and drove to Florida and back. I am sorry to say that it is in Florida that I encountered the most impolite drivers , always in a rush, blowing their horn on other drivers, driving from right to left and again to right on the highway, while in all other states down the road, people were polite in their way of driving.

That is the way we drive in South Florida. Some of us have places to be at and nothing makes us madder than seeing someone from the french region of canada driving below the speed limit on 95 or in the left lane on any road.

I read earlier this week that the law was oficially replealed in the Florida Legislature. The International Licence is no longer needed.

Almost, The repeal bill to repeal passed in the House by 116-0 and now has to pass the Senate and be signed by the Governor. Given the universal support to get rid of this misphrased law, both are essentially formalities at this point.

This is a full repeal, not just an exemption for Canadian and UK drivers.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/7059/BillText/Filed/PDF

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/7022/BillText/Filed/HTML

That is the way we drive in South Florida. Some of us have places to be at and nothing makes us madder than seeing someone from the french region of canada driving below the speed limit on 95 or in the left lane on any road.

The unanimous support and rapid action to repeal the burdensome international drivers license law shows that anti-tourist hatred such as you have posted in this thread has NO meaningful support in Florida.

I believe it was last week that the law was repealed.......come on down, we love Canadians!

It should have never been passed to begin with!

sunny and cool today...gosh we are in the 50's down here, come on spring!

reporting from St Augustine Fl

The unanimous support and rapid action to repeal the burdensome international drivers license law shows that anti-tourist hatred such as you have posted in this thread has NO meaningful support in Florida.

Well your opinion has no validity since you do not live in S. Florida. Speak to someone other than myself who lives in S. Florida and ask them about those drivers from up north.

Um...

1. You say you live in Jersey, not Florida. You don't speak for Floridians.

2. It actually doesn't say anything except that this action was poorly-worded and didn't work as it was intended. You have inferred that it backs up whatever your comment is.

I'm very PRO-tourist.

I'm also very PRO-expanded public transportation because I prefer my tourists not trying to kill me on the roads because they try to get me almost every single day of my life.*

* about 20 minutes ago a nice woman from South Carolina just tried to kill me by making a right turn ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC from the left turn lane... no blinker, no warning, no space, 100% illegal, 100% dangerous... just "OMG I NEED TO BE THERE!" WOOOOOOOOOSHHHHH! SLAMMING BRAKES!!! HORNS!!!

The big thing is that my drivers licence is already in English, and if I visit Florida every year, then I would have to purchase one of these every year as they expire after 12 months. Add that the to cost of the ESTA we 'aliens' have to purchase every 2 years to visit the US, it isn't really conducive for us to travel to the US.

So you are saying that roughly $20 US dollars a year is going to keep you from coming to Florida? When I travel abroad, I get an international drivers license. That is if my current one hasn't expired. I look at it as a small, and I mean very small price to pay if I get pulled over in a foreign land. If I can eliminate a potential inconvenience with the local law enforcement, I'll gladly spend $20 bucks to do so.

One other thing you have to realize is that not every law enforcement agency in Florida is up on the change of law. The State Troopers, and the highway patrol officers are normally on top of it. But you have so many different county police and sheriffs departments down there.

In my opinion, the IDL is the most ridiculous document in the world today. They are so easily counterfeited and very often altered. They should incorporate it into your passport and make it a passport/international drivers license. Being in law enforcement, the bogus ones are a dime a dozen.

So who wants to get pulled over and the local officer does not know that the IDL law has been repealed. So now he might want to take you back to the barracks, precinct or headquarters for further investigation. Now you are sitting there and the clock is ticking. Maybe you need to catch a flight or board a cruise ship.

So all I am saying is that if spending $20 bucks a year would possibly eliminate that type of silly inconvenience, I'd gladly pay it.

Well your opinion has no validity since you do not live in S. Florida. Speak to someone other than myself who lives in S. Florida and ask them about those drivers from up north.

I never claimed to speak for Florida. I pointed out that the Florida house, senate, and Governor - who DO speak for Florida - are all unanimous on this issue.

2. It actually doesn't say anything except that this action was poorly-worded and didn't work as it was intended. You have inferred that it backs up whatever your comment is.

It backs up exactly what I said, namely that the anti-tourist hatred posted in this thread, has NO meaningful support in Florida.

Of course there will always be a hateful very small minority that tosses around insults like "Quebecistan".

** about 20 minutes ago a nice woman from South Carolina just tried to kill me by making a right turn ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC from the left turn lane... no blinker, no warning, no space, 100% illegal, 100% dangerous... just "OMG I NEED TO BE THERE!" WOOOOOOOOOSHHHHH! SLAMMING BRAKES!!! HORNS!!!

Floridians are just as capable when it comes to making these life altering maneuvers. I've lived in quite a few places which includes Florida. One thing that I have noticed is that it does not matter where you are, their are good drivers and bad ones all over the country.

So you are saying that roughly $20 US dollars a year is going to keep you from coming to Florida? When I travel abroad, I get an international drivers license. That is if my current one hasn't expired. I look at it as a small, and I mean very small price to pay if I get pulled over in a foreign land. If I can eliminate a potential inconvenience with the local law enforcement, I'll gladly spend $20 bucks to do so.

One other thing you have to realize is that not every law enforcement agency in Florida is up on the change of law. The State Troopers, and the highway patrol officers are normally on top of it. But you have so many different county police and sheriffs departments down there.

In my opinion, the IDL is the most ridiculous document in the world today. They are so easily counterfeited and very often altered. They should incorporate it into your passport and make it a passport/international drivers license. Being in law enforcement, the bogus ones are a dime a dozen.

So who wants to get pulled over and the local officer does not know that the IDL law has been repealed. So now he might want to take you back to the barracks, precinct or headquarters for further investigation. Now you are sitting there and the clock is ticking. Maybe you need to catch a flight or board a cruise ship.

So all I am saying is that if spending $20 bucks a year would possibly eliminate that type of silly inconvenience, I'd gladly pay it.

This will be my last comment on this thread which has degenerated into nothing more than a slanging match between people from different areas of the US, Canada and the UK.

I never said approximately $20 is going to stop me from travelling to Florida, but for a family containing several drivers, together with the costs of the ESTA, it can mount up and some may consider going elsewhere.

If you visit the UK do you have to purchase an international drivers licence? No, do you have to pay for an electronic system for travel authorisation? No.

I never said approximately $20 is going to stop me from travelling to Florida, but for a family containing several drivers, together with the costs of the ESTA, it can mount up and some may consider going elsewhere.

No you said with the additional cost it really wasn't conducive for you to travel to the US. So it kind of sounded like the additional money for IDL was a big issue as to whether or not you were coming over. But since you are not replying anymore to this thread, I wish you good travels where ever you decide to go.

Archived