Glue like substance on car's in Cape Liberty

Mac

We just returned from our cruise 5/29 -6/03 and parked our car in Cape Liberty port. There was a glue like substance all over the car's that can't be removed, has anyone else that sailed with us had this happen to there car's? So far it is very hard to contact the port but were still trying. Any information on this subject would be most appreciated.

Sounds like perhaps you've gotten a dose of pine pitch on the car. Head to your local auto parts store and ask for a product designed to remove pine pitch. Beware, though, as most of these products are rather harsh. After you've finished removing the pitch be CERTAIN to thoroughly wash the car and rinse well. It wouldn't hurt you to wear rubber cloves while using the remover. The best one I've ever found is made by Certified Labs, and if memory serves me correctly, it's called Break Free. I hope this helps.

What is pine pitch???? We took our vehicle to a body shop to have it removed. They were trying to find out what it was. I'll give them a call tomorrow and tell them that it could be pine pitch, they will probably ask me what that is?

What is pine pitch???? We took our vehicle to a body shop to have it removed. They were trying to find out what it was. I'll give them a call tomorrow and tell them that it could be pine pitch, they will probably ask me what that is?

Quite simply, pine pitch is the sap generated by pine trees. This is PRIME pitch season, and the stuff is TRULY NASTY. It looks like little blobs of translucent gummy goo. Touch it at your own peril, because it will stick like glue, and be maddening to get off your hands! You know that nasty stuff that gets on your hands when you pick up dandilions? Well, magnify that by about 100 and you'll get an idea of how maddening pine pitch can be.

Are there pine trees around the parking lot??? I would think it would be clear, but maybe not.

We have pine down here and it truly does make a mess, but usually not unless you are parked right under a tree.

Well, there are certainly no trees in the parking lot. That's for sure. They really need to pave it.

Well having grown up not to far from there I am familar with the area. There are practically as many trees in Bayonne as there in Bergen County where I see you are currently from if you can believe it. Bayonne is not a bad town to live in. Yes..it has it's problems as all towns but it has not succummed to the urban blight like Jersey City did. I have no idea what that gunk could be. I'll be sailing out of there in August and hope I don't have the same problem with my car.

Many people who are not from the Bayonne area might not be aware that the terminal is located in the area once know as MOTBY. That stands for Military Ocean Terminal of Bayonne. It used to be an Navy Base. My uncle was a guard there until he retired. I remember going there on Armed Forces Day when they had open house. You could take tours of the docked ships. It sounds like RCCL just took over the site and hasn't done much in renovating the place to make it more attractive.

We are originally from Jersey City. Bergen County use to have trees which have now been replaced by "luxury" town homes and mc mansions. I have read Cape Liberty will have a multi million dollar renovation which includes shops, sidewalk cafe's, condo's, as well as other yuppie attractions. I'd be happy if they simply paved the parking lot. All the current warehouses on the site will be demolished.

Archived