Congress wants answers on cruise ship debacle

sneedham

The first thing congress needs to do is impose a new "fee" on all cruise bookings to pay for more bureaucracy. Let's set up a new government department with thousands of employees. Call it "oceanwave security".:rolleyes:

Our government spends lots of our money helping others, what's the big deal helping out a cruise ship with probably 90% American citizens aboard?

And I'm a bit tired of the whining of the passengers. The people who should be complaining the most are the poor crew who had to tolerate the same or worse conditions while doing their jobs and cleaning up after everyone.

Well said!

I would say they were stranded.

Stranded - 2. To be brought into or left in a difficult or helpless position.

This incident would strech that definition. They were being supported for the vast majority of the time, they weren't left in a helpless situation. From what has been reported by passengers the conditions were certainly difficult but manageable.

a boat dead in the water, any old wave could have turned it over:):) wish people would use the internet to understand how a ship floats. didn't anyone watch Titanic.

That was not the case! The Titanic, hit an iceberg and tore open her hull.. There were no storms or waves in the forecast that would indicate the Triumph would be in any danger. Im sure this was being monitored closely by Carnival and the Coast Guard and if there were any indications that ship might sink, you bet you life there would have been another plan.

That was not the case! The Titanic, hit an iceberg and tore open her hull.. There were no storms or waves in the forecast that would indicate the Triumph would be in any danger. Im sure this was being monitored closely by Carnival and the Coast Guard and if there were any indications that ship might sink, you bet you life there would have been another plan.

did i say a wave caused the titanic to sink. oh my gosh don't people actually read posts and the post i was responding to.

for the unitiated. a boat sinks when it begins taking on water and the air in the lower hull is displaced. now how would sitting in still in the water with no damage to the hull cause a ship to sink. and i facetiously said that people think a little wave will knock it over. geesh! people take everything so darn literally. in the future i will be careful to tell everyone of you when i am making a joke.

It was preventable. Not a random act of God Carnival had no control over.

It is up to Carnival to prevent fires aboard their own ships.

Congress has every right to look into this matter and should.

SERIOUSLY ? I did not know they had completed their investigation yet. Please share with us where you are getting your information from? So what you are saying is that all fires are preventable?? Yes they should agenda the matter but the rest of your statement is clueless. The fire broke out, they controlled it.

On another note ... I woud like Congress to look into other more important things right now, like little kids being shot dead at school, the state of their own "backyard' and skyrocketing administration costs, joblessness and growing the economy.

a boat dead in the water, any old wave could have turned it over:):) wish people would use the internet to understand how a ship floats. didn't anyone watch Titanic.

Sorry there were two things I forgot to ask you regarding this post.

1. Why do you put smiley faces next to the fact that you think a wave could have turned over the ship, killing 4,000 + people?

2. What information did you get from the internet? What is the scenario in which the Triumph would have turned over?

If she was in danger of sinking the passengers and crew would have been put in lifeboats. Then you would have had a helpless situation possibly resulting in fatalities.

Having experienced being at real muster after the SS Norway boiler explosion believe me that passengers at muster turn into a chaotic mob. We had people fainting and hyperventilating due to the stress. I would have been happy to lounge around the deck drinking bottled water and using a bucket than being crammed into a lifeboat for any period of time.

A fire at sea doesn't always end so "pleasantly". I believe she is doing a what if. Yes, those 4000 people lives were in jeopardy.

On THIS boat on THIS occasion their lives were not at Jeopardy. The fire was controlled, there was constant monitoring by the coast guard, and not one life boat was launched. If lives were at jeopardy they would have launched life boats or risked ship to ship transfers.

Yes it was unpleasant, none of us woud want o have been there.

Just another stall tactic so they (Congress) don't have to do any real work. FTLOG.

Yep, if all of congress was working on this then it would be so the don't have to worry about the real problem. Luckily the letter is just from one congressman. By what I got out of the letter is that the congressman is just asking about how much money the CG spent and if the CG can get reimbursed. Now if all of congress can try to get reimbursed of all wasteful spending we'll be better off.

did i say a wave caused the titanic to sink. oh my gosh don't people actually read posts and the post i was responding to.

for the unitiated. a boat sinks when it begins taking on water and the air in the lower hull is displaced. now how would sitting in still in the water with no damage to the hull cause a ship to sink. and i facetiously said that people think a little wave will knock it over. geesh! people take everything so darn literally. in the future i will be careful to tell everyone of you when i am making a joke.

This is what you wrote.

a boat dead in the water, any old wave could have turned it over wish people would use the internet to understand how a ship floats. didn't anyone watch Titanic.

On your original post you put 2 smiley faces after your quote " a boat dead in the water, any old wave could have turned it over" (nothing to smile about) So you didn't mean any old wave could have turned the Triumph over? So why were they in danger?

We need this. From the same folks who brought you the Harter Act and Jones Act. Who took an active going Merchant Marine and destroyed it. How many ships now fly the American Flag?

Right on !!! Keep the Government out of it !!

When is somebody going to investigate why Congress is so inept?

If Congress does conduct an inquest; I hope CCL has the good sense to hire

Hillary Clinton to represent them at the hearing.

HRC: "What difference does it make if Cahill was involved in the decisions that lead up to this?"

CONGRESS: uhh ....

I think that maybe they should dock the ships for at least a week every year to do maintenance and such. Not really up to date on what they do on cruise ships, but just thinking that would help.

Maintenance is an ongoing task that is, or should be, done year round. The only time the ship needs to be docked for a week is if it needs to come out of the water to work on the running gear or redo bottom paint. Multiple generators allow one or more to be down for maintenance while the rest propel and power the ship. I have read the Destiny class ships are not very well engineered but have no idea if that's true or not.

They want answers for this just like the auto troubles. Great Sen from Tenn told everyone had to take all kinds of cuts to pay and benefits because their employer was in trouble, well you don't hear that now that the USA is in financial trouble they should take their cuts like 30% as he had everyone else do.With carnival I like to see what he will come up with and will apply to everyone including them.

Maintenance is an ongoing task that is, or should be, done year round. The only time the ship needs to be docked for a week is if it needs to come out of the water to work on the running gear or redo bottom paint. Multiple generators allow one or more to be down for maintenance while the rest propel and power the ship.

Correct. According to Chief Engineer Testa on Imagination a few years ago during our Behind the Fun tour, at any given moment 4 out of the 6 ship's generators are turning and delivering power, one is in 'ready reserve' in case of a failure, and one is down for routine maintenance.

Needless to say, that was a really GOOD tour. We were a half-hour late getting to the bridge. :)

I have read the Destiny class ships are not very well engineered but have no idea if that's true or not.

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

Correct. According to Chief Engineer Testa on Imagination a few years ago during our Behind the Fun tour, at any given moment 4 out of the 6 ship's generators are turning and delivering power, one is in 'ready reserve' in case of a failure, and one is down for routine maintenance.

Needless to say, that was a really GOOD tour. We were a half-hour late getting to the bridge. :)

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

You may find the following interesting since Wartsila provides the power systems for the Destiny class ships and nearly half of the large ships in the world.

A basic understanding of how diesel electric systems operate would possibly cause some to reconsider pointing the finger at Carnival for the Triumph problem.

Wärtsilä powers one in three ships and services one in two ships sailing the world's seas.[2] The company services the merchant, offshore, cruise and ferry, naval, and special vessel markets, and the offering includes ship design, main and auxiliary engines, auxiliary power systems, electrical and automation packages, propulsors (such as water jets, thrusters, propellers, and nozzles), seals, bearings, gears, rudders, scrubbers, boilers, and all related services, such as repair, configuration, upgrading, training, maintenance, and environmental services.

A basic understanding of how diesel electric systems operate would possibly cause some to reconsider pointing the finger at Carnival for the Triumph problem.

Wärtsilä powers one in three ships and services one in two ships sailing the world's seas..

I have a basic understanding of how diesel electric systems work.

So are you trying to say it was Wartsila's fault? Because I don't think that will fly. I'm sure Wartsila had some input into the installation but from what I have read the engineering was done in-house by Fincantieri to a price point set by Carnival. The price point set by Carnival necessitated a power grid that just barely met the required capacity. The real question is why did a fairly small fire that was quickly extinguished disable the whole ship?

Archived